PDA

View Full Version : Elk/wolf hunt

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM
So our area we hunt has lots of game, predators included.
Half our hunting group went up last week and we are going up this weekend.

Friends had called in some Elk, then the wolves started howling, and no more Elk.

What is the chance we could call in these wolves if this scenario was to happen again. I have a few calls I would try. A squeaker, distressed cottontail ( I called in my wolf this spring with it, successfully ), and a hoochie mama cow elk call.

I got my wolf this spring and would love to get another. Think this is possible?

junkyard_g
10-10-2012, 12:15 PM
one of my guide buddies got 4 wolves last season while calling moose for for his clients so i can't see why an elk call wouldn't work just as well. maybe give the baby hoochie mama a try. any distressed prey animal call would definetly do the trick as well. called a coyote into 70 yds the other year with one of those doe in a can calls by shaking it while it was making the bleat to make it sound distressed. i have heard calf moose in distress call works too, just find a video of a calf crying on youtube and mimick it.

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I'd love for that scenario to present itself.

Pioneerman
10-10-2012, 12:56 PM
I have a predator call that sounds like wounded small game or I can use it to howl like a coyote , that howling works good in the evening. I have sat around a camp fire and brought them in fro god knows how far. All I could hear at first was faint sounds and after a while you could hear them moving all around camp. So I bet it would work well for wolves when tucked away hidden nicely and call

Lillypuff
10-10-2012, 05:57 PM
practice your howling, have seen a few go down that way. Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes

ianwuzhere
10-10-2012, 06:01 PM
last year i called in a wolf with my elk cow calls and shot it..

Boner
10-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Happened to us on the 8th too. Same thing, blasted the terminator at morning shooting light.Wolves started up on 2 sides and coyotes on 2 sides. We should have cut our losses and bee lined towards the wolves because not a peep from any ungulates.

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2012, 07:49 PM
I figure if there howling the ungulates are long gone. I will be turning my attention towards them.

sakofinnlight
10-10-2012, 08:20 PM
as soon as you hear them howling, start howling back loud and right away. Did this last year and connected on them

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2012, 08:49 PM
as soon as you hear them howling, start howling back loud and right away. Did this last year and connected on them

Good advice! Thanks

Weatherby300
10-11-2012, 08:23 PM
If you want wolves go up to region 7 they could stand to get rid of a bunch!! I had a pack of 5 come down the road toward me then duck into timber where my partner was calling moose. Every set of moose tracks we came across had a set of wolf tracks alongside it. Got tired of it after 10 days!