PDA

View Full Version : making jerky

trapman
10-10-2012, 12:17 AM
looking to find a great jerky brine

moose2
10-10-2012, 03:54 AM
Hey Glen
I use the pre made hickory by wild west I follow the recipe on the package and use the oven to dry it. Always turns out great and a $10.00 bag will do 15 wet pounds of meat. Hi mountain is good as well. Both do 15 pounds and have different flavors.

Mike http://www.cabelas.ca/images/products/000000000000034539.jpg

The Dude
10-10-2012, 03:59 AM
There's a billion recipes online for that.

My own is Soy Sauce, garlic, cracked pepper a bit of Real Lemon and any kind of Chipotle pepper/sauce.
Like anything, you gotta play with it to get your meat where you want it. :D

Black Lab
10-30-2012, 09:15 PM
I had a recipe that I used for years, lately I haven't liked it that much. Maybe my tastes are changing. I went on-line to find a new one but they didn't look all that good for one reason or other so I made up my own. This is my new recipe. I don't like my meat too salty so I brine for about 2 1/2 hrs. Works good with fish or meat. Smoking time depends on humidity and outside temp. I did some jerky a few day's ago and it took about 12 hr's if you live up north, well your on your own. ;-)
4 Quarts Cold Water
2 Cups Coarse Salt
4 Cups Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp Minced Garlic
4 Tbsp Molasses
2 Tsp Hot Sauce
1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
As much Black Pepper as you like. I like LOTS
Also I like "Spicy Pepper Medley" again I like Lots
That's quite a bit of brine. You could cut the complete recipe in half for a smaller quantity.
I don't like my fish Too Salty so I only brine for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Seems right for me. Fish can Really Soak up the Salt
Lay your meat on the smoking racks when done.
I sprinkle Black Pepper + "Spicy Pepper Medley" over my meat.
Again I Like it and it Helps Keeps the Flies away in the Summer
Let it Rest for about 20-30 minutes to "Sort of Glaze" over
Smoke until "Your Happy"
No set time for Smoking, due to Outside Temp and Humidity
Try doing your Christmas Turkey or a Chicken for the first time. Much Juicier and Tastier. 4 Hrs. Seems Good to Me. I use a Cooler out in the garage. Good Luck and Good Eats !!!