PDA

View Full Version : A story and a question....

morris
10-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Been hunting Region 5 for the last number of years or so and always do very well with the moose, usually heading up with LEH draws for the first two weeks of October. The area we hunt though is usually quite devoid of deer at that time, although them deer are mighty good hiders!

Six years ago my father passed away during the summer and in order to honour him that year I took his old pump action .30-06 with me to hunt with. We turned the corner one afternoon and a beautiful 4 point was standing in the middle of the road, the ought six barked and the rest is history.

This past off season my son finally got his arse in gear and took his CORE course and low and behold managed to get in on a group moose LEH with me. Since he started University this fall it was easier for him to take a week off and head up on the hunt with us. His first real experience hunting and first ever time at Moose Camp, it was a good week, of course he was using my dad's old .30-06!

The first morning I called a bull into a clear cut and although it was attempted, my son never got to pull on the bull, I did however and dropped him where he stood at about 290 yards out with a single shot to the neck. Bull wouldn't come closer and I wasn't gonna let my son shoot out past 200....

The second morning as we were sitting on the edge of a clear cut my son nudged me and looked up where a beautiful Bald Eagle was circling overhead. My father was a huge fan of the bald eagle and had a huge picture of one in his living room, since he has passed it has always been a symbol of him for our family and on a side note, the day my sister got married we walked into the area my father's ashes were spread and a huge bald eagle was up in a tree looking at us all majestic like...shivers....therefore that morning we shared a moment out there in the cut block and toasted dad with a little sip from the flask!

Nothing happened for us that morning and upon meeting the rest of the crew back at the trucks we decided we would head back to camp and have a nice brunch before heading out for the afternoon. My son jumped in with Todd while Dan, Glenn and I followed them. We rounded a corner (yep that same corner!) and low and behold the truck they were in was stopped in the road and both Todd and my son were out looking at some deer coming down through the cut block. I watched in utter disbelief as my son leveled my dad's gun and pulled on a very large two point. All the deer ran away and we scurried to look for blood. My son told me he thought he had missed...I asked him why he thought that and asked if it was because the deer didn't drop dead immediately, he replied that was why. I explained that a lung shot could result in an animal travelling for quite some time before it succumbed. We were surveying the scene when I heard a shout from Glenn. Glenn was in the cut block and had been watching an owl sitting in a tree (now get ready for this)....Glenn's father had just recently passed away and he had always been an owl guy, Glenn was looking around for a blood trail when he spotted the Owl in a small tree in the middle of the cut block. Glenn walked over to within 10 feet of the owl and was also enjoying a moment remembering his father. When the owl flew off Glenn took another step and spotted a dead deer lying in the cut block ( I am seriously not making this stuff up! )

We made our way over to Glenn and the deer and found that my son had made a beautiful double lung shot resulting in his first ever harvest of an animal. It was a very surreal moment and one that made me very proud!
We all agreed that there was quite a bit more going on that day than just a boy shooting a deer!

We cleaned the deer and decided that because of the story behind it and the significance we would like to get a european mount done. We skinned out the head and separated the lower jaw, now for the question....

What do we do next....I have heard of the boiling and possible breaking issues etc....money is tight for us..especially with University tuition etc...so getting it professionally done is out...is there anyone that can offer any advice? Anyone have the bugs that will do it for a bottle? How about the plastic skulls..anyone have any experience with those?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and thanks for reading, he did go on to harvest his moose too but that is another story!

Rich

moose2
10-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Congrats to your boy getting his deer. A google search of " do it yourself european skull mounts " will give you all the info your looking for. This link will get you started. Good luck and have fun. http://flyguys.net/blog/hunting-information/diy-low-cost-european-deer-skull-mount#13498436295891&35713::resize_frame|61-640
Mike

Steeleco
10-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I know Bigbore here on the site has bugs, but think he's leaving real soon for another hunt. PM him ASAP.

BTW, congrats on a great hunt, the memories will far outlast the meat. Well done.

The Dude
10-10-2012, 02:59 AM
I know Bigbore here on the site has bugs, but think he's leaving real soon for another hunt. PM him ASAP.

BTW, congrats on a great hunt, the memories will far outlast the meat. Well done.

I was unaware that crabs were considered bugs. I thought they were crustaceans.

Darksith
10-10-2012, 07:45 AM

ZING!

Congrats on the hunt and the good times. Great story

Steeleco
10-10-2012, 07:53 AM

There's always one in every crowd. No surprises here huh!!!

The Dude
10-10-2012, 07:54 AM
Laughter and learning.

The Dude abides :D

The Dude
10-10-2012, 07:57 AM
FYI: You set me up D, that was too easy.

For the OP, they're called Dermestid beetles, and must be maintained year-round.
Much easier to do the compost heap/boil/peroxide method, unless you know someone that works in a Museum.

Steeleco
10-10-2012, 08:09 AM
I tired the compost trick twice last year. It worked great on my sons spring bear skull, but not so well on my fall bear skull. It may be too cool now to rely on the compost bugs. Trim what you can with a knife and lightly boil the rest if you cant find any BEETLES!!!!!