PDA

View Full Version : Tribute To A Loyal Friend

huntwriter
10-09-2012, 07:23 PM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/2011-05-22-s2-08_2.jpg

Originally published in the Merritt Herald - Othmar Vohringer Outdoors

Tribute To A Loyal Friend
© By Othmar Vohringer

On Tuesday morning (October 2nd, 2012) my loyal friend and companion for over 16 years passed away. Gazu, a Rottweiler/Labrador mix, had not an easy start in life. When I adopted him, then about one year old, from a pet shelter in Montreal, Quebec, he already had two previous owners that abused him badly. I learned that Gazu was destined to be euthanized because of the many behavioural problems he sustained from his abusers. Because of that I was at first denied adoption, however, when the manager at the shelter found out that I am a professional animal trainer and behaviourist he agreed with the adoption. My immediate concern at the time was not about Gazu’s behavioural problems. Having dealt with a fair number of animals with such issues I was sure I could cure him. My concern was what my other “pets”, 16 tigers, would think of this new addition. Training, performing and caring for the tigers took up many hours of my day and Gazu would have to fit into that schedule.

Gazu quickly adapted to his new life and surroundings and within two weeks we had a very close relationship and he slowly started to develop the outgoing and friendly character that would become the hallmark of his entire life. The most difficult part was taking his fear of travel from him. In his past a trip in a car signified yet another drive to the dog shelter but once he realized that this was not the case with me he started to enjoy travelling to new places all around Canada and America with me and the tigers. Later Gazu traveled with us by airplane and ship to China and Brazil. Wherever we traveled in the world Gazu’s outgoing and enthusiastic nature made him friends everywhere, even in China where people are generally afraid of large dogs.

The only time Gazu showed any sign of slight displeasure was when I meet Heidi, my future wife, two years after I got Gazu. My guess is he suffered a brief case of jealousy. However, it only took him a short time to realize that he did not have to “loose out” and instead, he gained another friend and so he quickly adopted Heidi as part of “his family”. Gazu liked making friends; be that tigers, elephants or humans. Throughout his life, even in old age and in the last months where it was apparent he had cancer, Gazu’s loyalty, outgoing nature and unassuming friendship was exemplary and humbling for those that knew him.

Gazu will be dearly missed and there always will be a very special place in my heart for him. Heidi and I would like to thank Dr. Anne Flemming at the Merritt Veterinary Hospital for her respectful treatment, marked by dignity, for Gazu and letting us be with him until he took his last breath while resting in our arms. Thank you Gazu for your loyal friendship, unquestioned trust and also for the many things I learned from you, rest in peace until we play together again.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/2006-12-04-012_2.jpg

After living for 4 years in tropical southern China and 2 years in Brazil Gazu looked forward to play in the snow again.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/huntwriter/2005-05-07-09_2.jpg
Gazu loved having pictures taken of him...for as long Heidi was the one taking the pictures.

skibum
10-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog - he sure looked like a good pup

dakoda62
10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. They are not pets they are part of the family and just has hard to grieve for.

Gunner
10-09-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear this Othmar,I've lost one friend and will lose another soon.I know how you feel and I feel your pain.Remember we will meet our four legged friends who have gone on before us once again,at the Rainbow Bridge. Gunner

BigSlapper
10-09-2012, 08:19 PM
A touching tribute .... Prost ... until you play again :)

Foxton Gundogs
10-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Condolances memories are like starlite they go on forever

Pioneerman
10-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I am so sorry for your loss, I and many of us have lost our best friends, and know exactly how you feel. May he rest in peace

basscanada
10-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Sorry for your loss Othmar, my wife and I feel your pain. Beautiful tribute to Gazu it's clear he was a very special dog.

Sincere condolences,

Chris, Krista and our pack Marble, Coby and Sassy

hotload
10-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Special tribute to a special friend. May he rest in peace knowing he was loved dearly. May you always cherish the special memories. We love these animals because in their eyes we see how much they love us...............................................

300H&H
10-09-2012, 11:38 PM
It is always hard to say go by to a friend.
My condolences to you both.
Rest in peace Gazu.

2slow
10-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Sorry for the loss of your dog.

Philcott
10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Othmar, Sorry to hear the sad news. It must have been painful and fulfilling to write your tribute to him. It's obvious he will be missed. :icon_frow

yamadirt 426
10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice tribute and thanks for sharing. I'm about to go through the same in the next few weeks. And like you my boy has been with me before the wife and kids. Once he is gone that chapter in my life will close as yours has. But the book is still being written. All the best and enjoy your next chapter as much as the last .

swampthing
10-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Looked like a hell of a good dog.

huntwriter
10-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Thank you all for the kind words. It's just over a week and I still expect Gazu to wait for me on the door or in the garden, or coming to visit me late at night in the office like he wants to say "time to go to bed".

ruger#1
10-11-2012, 07:19 PM
Sorry Othmar. I know how it feels, I still call Addies name when I take Coco outside. It feels like an empty space. My two week hunting trip isn't going to be the same.

FirePower
10-15-2012, 08:39 AM
Nice tribute and thanks for sharing. I'm about to go through the same in the next few weeks. And like you my boy has been with me before the wife and kids. Once he is gone that chapter in my life will close as yours has. But the book is still being written. All the best and enjoy your next chapter as much as the last .

Well said lad, my sympathies as well

bushpig slayer
10-15-2012, 08:45 AM
sorry bud i know how it feels

Phreddy
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
My condolences Othmar. Had the same experience with my friend, Prince, a couple years ago and he now rests on the hill overlooking the river in our back yard. The pain lessens over time but the memories get stronger.