PDA

View Full Version : Morning ATV's for Hunting Restrictions

Boner
10-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Since the hunting season started on September 10, I've seen 3 separate groups of guys hunting or at least transporting their firearms on quads in closed areas. Closed being the morning restrictions on ATV useage for hunting activities.

I've given them all a friendly "heads up, read the regs again" but all i've received in return was earfuls of foul language not directed at me, but at the system. It screws up my walk-in morning hunts.

It's breaking the rules, but is it something to call in to the RAPP line about?

None of them jumped off of their quads and started hunting on foot either. They all just kept on quad-hunting.

coach
10-09-2012, 01:49 PM
It's against the law. It isn't up to you to police the situation. Report it. It takes less time to do so than it took to start this thread - and it's anonymous.

000buck
10-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I ride so yeah report them. a few bad apples spoil the bunch

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 02:14 PM
What is the purpose behind most of these time restrictions? It's notenvironmental damage as they are allowed at other times, so what's up?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't hunt 7a...but I ride a licensed dual sport motorbike. Is it not okay for me to road hunt" in those closed hours for ATV's??

I've always been baffled as to where those regulations originated.

SSS

J-Man
10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
You can't ride the ATV before 10am unless you have a special letter. I know one guy we hunt with has some kind of exemption letter or something due to missing a leg that gets him around all the ATV rules. But I also know another group of guys that just use street licensed dirt bikes to hunt with before 10am.

Boner
10-09-2012, 02:39 PM
What is the purpose behind most of these time restrictions? It's notenvironmental damage as they are allowed at other times, so what's up?

Not sure, but I like it. It gives the guys who don't have quads a chance to do a walk hunt along a deactivated road without having a guy on a machine pass him. Not sure if you've been up here in PG Gatehouse, but there are very large cut blocks here, many of them have deactivated roads into them. One of my favourite hunts is 7 kms from where I park my truck to the back end. No truck access, if I harvest something I have to bring in my quad after the time restriction.

It's not all over, just some MUs have quad restrictions. Really nice for a September elk hunt not to have quad buglers going by every 15 minutes.

Sitkaspruce
10-09-2012, 02:56 PM
It's an old MOE reg that was put in effect to try and see if they could reduce the number of early morning quaders in areas of farm/ranch or residentual areas. It was supposed to be looked at and then a decision was to be made to either keep it or drop it. I had not heard of any meeting prior to me leaving up there, so my guess is they just left it as is. It is another restriction that needs to be dropped as the CO's already have enough on their plates with illegal guiding/hunting and fishing.

We would by pass the rule by heading in prior to the early morning time restriction and just wait for the sun to come up.

Cheers

SS

lovemywinchester
10-09-2012, 03:16 PM

I believe it was put in place to help the moose rut. The moose are morning breeders, a lot like myself. Just what I heard.

flyboy
10-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I would love to see a trial period where one whole zone up here in 7A is no quads at all! Man that would get rid of over 3/4 of the hunters. Actually have to walk, now that would be something to see.

dbxdiver
10-09-2012, 04:11 PM
do not see the need for a lesson on where the rule comes from or if it is a dumb rule or good rule, the fact is it is the rule and therefore those guys are breaking it and screwing up your hunt report em. let them vent at a cop or CO when they are loading up thier quads and taking thier guns.

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 04:19 PM
I would love to see a trial period where one whole zone up here in 7A is no quads at all! Man that would get rid of over 3/4 of the hunters. Actually have to walk, now that would be something to see.

How is getting rid of hunters a good thing?

Hank Hunter
10-09-2012, 04:22 PM

X2 on that one

Ambush
10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
The rule keeps the road hunters on the road. Too many moose were shot from quads, just standing on the trail, just like they stand on roads.

If you want to get to your spot by quad, just get up early and quad in and then sit or walk. Kill your moose and then you got the whole rest of the day to quad him out.

There used to be a restiction on evening travel to, but that was dropped, mostly from a safety standpoint.

I have a quad and I think it's a good rule. If we shoot more moose, they'll just cut the seasons and/or LEH's back anyway. And what other reason would you have to dump the rule other than you thought you could shoot more animals.

lightmag
10-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Its frustrating!! i live in PG, have a Quad and can leave right from my house if i wanted, many times i would have loved to quad in the am, and there are no CO's or next to no CO's were i hunt so i coul dget away with it but i dont because it IS a regulation, regardless if it makes sense or not, it IS a rule. Nothing worse then making the effort to get out early and hike in somewhere to have some idiot drive in on his quad and pass you !!! i too have quadded into an area before the am restriction starts, park hunt the am and quad out after restriction is over.. thi sis exactly how i got my elk locally 3 years ago.

Frango
10-09-2012, 06:23 PM
x3 I hunt with a quad and I walk and I sit for hours .Your attitude suggests your method is the only method that should be allowed. It's their fun time not yours.They should be able to hunt anyway they want as long as it is legal.

butthead
10-09-2012, 06:41 PM
can some one direct me to the page in the regs id like to read that one myself thanks

flyboy
10-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow easy there guys, it was a joke. As in take away the quads and you would lose 3/4 of the hunters cause they can't hunt unless they can ride a quad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But now you bring up a point,, if they did put a total ban on quads what would your arguement be to keep them? I dont want to walk?

What did everyone do before quads?

Yep, I to hate being run over by the QUAD hunters

Darksith
10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Would be curious to know for fact where or why that reg came about. If it truly was to keep the quads away from farmers, what was the point? If it was to reduce the number of moose being taken on trails by quads then ban them all together, its just as easy and likely to find a moose on a trail in the evening as the morning.

Frango
10-09-2012, 08:00 PM
What we did before quads was carry the meat on our backs.I prefer the quad.

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
The rule keeps the road hunters on the road. Too many moose were shot from quads, just standing on the trail, just like they stand on roads.

If you want to get to your spot by quad, just get up early and quad in and then sit or walk. Kill your moose and then you got the whole rest of the day to quad him out.

There used to be a restiction on evening travel to, but that was dropped, mostly from a safety standpoint.

I have a quad and I think it's a good rule. If we shoot more moose, they'll just cut the seasons and/or LEH's back anyway. And what other reason would you have to dump the rule other than you thought you could shoot more animals.

So it was brought in as a conservation method, you are saying. Does it work to restrict the moose harvest?

Ambush
10-09-2012, 08:56 PM
So it was brought in as a conservation method, you are saying. Does it work to restrict the moose harvest?

Fewer hunters covering less road/trails, means fewer moose/hunter encounters, so I'd say yes, less moose killed.

If you go in early enough to miss the resticted time, it can actually make for a good hunt. It forces you to be there well before light. It encourages you to be patient and wait in a small area. For the rut, I think that staying in one spot greatly increases your odds of calling a moose to you. A bull can take a few hours to get to you and he may sneak in. Be still, look and listen. And you've got time, because theoreticly nobody is going to come motoring by to scare the moose off.

That's why I like treestands, off the beaten path.

Wood butcher
10-09-2012, 09:08 PM
What if your in one of these areas to hunt deer not moose?

Ambush
10-09-2012, 09:10 PM
What if your in one of these areas to hunt deer not moose?

regs state ".. for the purpose of hunting."

Darksith
10-09-2012, 09:11 PM
Is this fact or opinion? If fact whats ur source?

What we did before quads was carry the meat on our backs.I prefer the quad.
we still carry meat on our backs, the quad isn't so good in the swamps, and you don't venture as far from the truck if you dont have a quad. Im just playing devils advocate here fyi

Ambush
10-09-2012, 09:23 PM
Is this fact or opinion? If fact whats ur source?

In my opinion, it's a fact. :mrgreen:

Since the regulation has been in place quite a few years, it would take some serious sleuthing to discover the original working papers from the reginal bio's of the time. So, short answer, no I can't give you a source.
It came at a time when region seven was trying hard to rebuild the moose population. Spike/fork, LEH and late season cow draws to determine pregnancy rates and fetus age.

Or maybe the head bio just really hated road/quad hunters.

moosinaround
10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30,
7-37 to 7-39
▼ from Mar. 31 to Nov. 30.
MU 7-3 and 7-16
▲ Morkill Forest Road above its crossing of
Fraser River during the periods April 15
to June 15 and August 15 to November
MUs 7-7 to 7-15
◆ 4:30 am to 8:00am from Aug. 15 - 31
◆ 5:30 am to 9:00am from Sept. 1 - 30
◆ 6:30 am to 10:00am from Oct. 1 to
Nov. 15
Page 73 of the current regs.

Moosin

Wood butcher
10-09-2012, 09:31 PM
The reasoning behind my question was why if it's a tool for protecting moose populations should it also protect deer.
I realize it would be hard to prove/ enforce if deer hunters could and moose hunters could not.

butthead
10-10-2012, 04:53 AM
MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30,
7-37 to 7-39
▼ from Mar. 31 to Nov. 30.
MU 7-3 and 7-16
▲ Morkill Forest Road above its crossing of
Fraser River during the periods April 15
to June 15 and August 15 to November
MUs 7-7 to 7-15
◆ 4:30 am to 8:00am from Aug. 15 - 31
◆ 5:30 am to 9:00am from Sept. 1 - 30
◆ 6:30 am to 10:00am from Oct. 1 to
Nov. 15
Page 73 of the current regs.

Moosin
thanks moosinaround for the page#

snakeplain
10-10-2012, 10:45 AM
yeh, stop all the older pensioners or families from riding atvs while they are out hunting, picking berries or having fun, they probably worked their entire life and paid taxes, now, some of you want to stop them from enjoying themselves, make some more laws, only allow the guide and outfitters to use horses, planes, riverboats and helicopters to fly in the rich foreigners and dispose of our moose, sheep, etc, if there are no moose, deer, sheep, bear, whatever, close the hunting seasons for all, why is it this nanny state continues with the drivel, also, deactivating roads is another whole act of stupidity, a government act that will cause injury or death to some family, for what, to make someone in government who dislikes atvs or snowmobiles happy, canadian family values and culture must be maintained, if not, the beginning of the end is past. also, it is to early in the morning to read this bs thread.

Boner
10-10-2012, 12:08 PM
If you read the regs, you'll see that you can both pick berries and have fun during the quad restrictions, so long as you aren't engaged in hunting activities.

It's attitudes exactly like this that I keep encountering when i'm hunting on foot. And you can hunt in 7-24 just 20 minutes north of Prince George with a quad all you want. It's a good, productive area with good access. A lot of guys go there for that reason, and I thank them if any are on here.

Too early in the morning, sounds to me like you're not much of a morning hunter anyways, so let the early birds handle this one.

snakeplain
10-10-2012, 01:17 PM
years ago, the 1980's i believe, the atv restrictions came in and it would appear that it was for the benefit of the guides and outfitters, what other reason could it be for zone 5-13 &12 for instance. right now, these areas are logged off, not much game except for wolves and yet the rule is there, how or who did it would be a most interesting investigation, too bad someone who has knowledge of this would'nt explain why, some of us sleep in and don't have the attitude to be the person who knows it all.

Boner
10-10-2012, 02:24 PM
You don't need to know it all, but for sure the regs for the MU you are hunting in. I think we can all agree to that.

Drillbit
10-10-2012, 02:56 PM
If you read the regs, you'll see that you can both pick berries and have fun during the quad restrictions, so long as you aren't engaged in hunting activities.

Hunt & Hunting

- includes shooting at,attracting, searching for, chasing, pursuing, followingafter or on the trail of, stalking, or lyingin wait for wildlife or attempting to do any ofthose things, whether or not the wildlife is thenor subsequently wounded, killed or captured;a) with intention to capture the wildlife, or(b) while in possession of a firearm or otherweapon.

Cool. So I can have fun and go target shooting, fishing, or berry picking with my gun as long as I'm not hunting and have no intention of hunting. I guess you don't need to phone 911 for me.

Boner
10-10-2012, 03:33 PM
It true! During quad restricted hours you can have fun with guns and not be hunting. :)

Sounds like you have a problem with me with that 911 crack. It wasn't my intention to stop target shooters or berry pickers. Pick all you want. The cranberries are looking really good this year. Maybe I could direct you to some new picking spots just loaded with them.

sae
10-10-2012, 03:38 PM
This was pushed in real hard by the guide outfitters to stop quad hunters running cut lines way back in the late 80 s ,just pushed everyone over to dease lk

Drillbit
10-10-2012, 03:50 PM
The 911 wasn't toward you personally. I just HATE all the rapp reporting when people don't know the facts.
The co's have enough to do without chasing tattles with no facts.

Guys could

Drillbit
10-10-2012, 03:52 PM
Guys could be just having fun or be exempt somehow with a permit (healt condition/handicap).

In your first post if they were argumentive towards you I can see why you'd be mad. They were probably mad too, that you just sauntered in there first ahead of them, and they went to all the work of gassing up, undloading, and bouncing in there only to be second. JK

Also are guides and or aboriginals exempt?

savagecanuck
10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Sure glad I don't have those restrictions down here in region 8.I carried game out for 30 yrs now I am 52 and my quad does most of the work.

emerson
10-11-2012, 01:22 PM
The restrictions are only for a few hours in the morning.
Walk in, hunt without dodging quads, if required, use quad
haul meat out after 10am.

Hillbros_96
10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Coming from a province that does not allow any morning hunting with quads, a couple of hours really is not that bad. Nothing like finding prime animal just after dark and not being able to get to it in the morning.

steel_ram
10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Ride in during the pre-dawn darkness. Enjoy the Hunt on foot. (pretty scarey I know ;)). Use quad to recover game a little later during legal hours. Whats so objectionable about that?

6pt_elk_wannabe
01-23-2013, 11:23 AM
its to do with giving the game a chance, so that its harder to accsess those honey holes, it makes sense, i know of alot of spots that cant be accesible by truck but easily by atv but are too far away to walk into...

snakeplain
01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
these rules came from the guide and outfitters working with the government to restrict locals(taxpayers) of bc from hunting certain areas. the guides want the profit from the resource for their pocket, what did the government get out of this rule?, anyhow, if you want to ban us old pensioners from atvs and make us walk, then BAN riverboats, airplanes, helicopters and horses, you younger spandex guys can also walk or swim. if game populations are low for us to hunt, regulate wolves and the rest of it, otherwise, go nanny state

open-sights
01-23-2013, 01:00 PM
It's a great thing if your an outfitter, the only hunters they want around are the ones paying

Ron.C
01-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Nothing worse for a guy that chooses to use the current rules to his advantage and get try and get away from the crowds, only to have some moron that doesn't give a crap fly by on a quad an ruin his hunt. In case you have'nt guessed, yes this has happened to me.

I could care less if you think the current access restrictions are BS or not. If you don't like them, petition to get rid of them through proper channels, but don't just ignore them. Chosing to ignore them should fall under the same punishment as poaching if you ask me.

If access regulations are being broke, get descriptions of the people/vehicles breaking them and report it.

Drillbit
01-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Nothing worse for a guy that chooses to use the current rules to his advantage and get try and get away from the crowds, only to have some moron that doesn't give a crap fly by on a quad an ruin his hunt. In case you have'nt guessed, yes this has happened to me.

I could care less if you think the current access restrictions are BS or not. If you don't like them, petition to get rid of them through proper channels, but don't just ignore them. Chosing to ignore them should fall under the same punishment as poaching if you ask me.

If access regulations are being broke, get descriptions of the people/vehicles breaking them and report it.

How do you know if they have a permit or not for a disability?

Maybe no laws are being broke and then the CO's are wasting time chasing tattles, when they could be doing something valuable.

I say before any reporting is done, have some facts and evidence to contribute, not just a tattle on the phone.

burger
01-23-2013, 04:26 PM
It's an old MOE reg that was put in effect to try and see if they could reduce the number of early morning quaders in areas of farm/ranch or residentual areas. It was supposed to be looked at and then a decision was to be made to either keep it or drop it. I had not heard of any meeting prior to me leaving up there, so my guess is they just left it as is. It is another restriction that needs to be dropped as the CO's already have enough on their plates with illegal guiding/hunting and fishing.

We would by pass the rule by heading in prior to the early morning time restriction and just wait for the sun to come up.

Cheers

SS

Same here just get up earlier and be inyour spot before 6am which I think was the start time of the restriction

Jack Russell
01-23-2013, 04:33 PM
I'm in really poor physical shape, I've got no wind and no jam, due to my arse being parked on my quad all the time. I eat lots of cheetos too.

I've got a doctors note that says I'm not physically fit enough to hunt without my quad, so I am exempted.

Go figure.

Boner
01-23-2013, 04:45 PM
these rules came from the guide and outfitters working with the government to restrict locals(taxpayers) of bc from hunting certain areas. the guides want the profit from the resource for their pocket, what did the government get out of this rule?, anyhow, if you want to ban us old pensioners from atvs and make us walk, then BAN riverboats, airplanes, helicopters and horses, you younger spandex guys can also walk or swim. if game populations are low for us to hunt, regulate wolves and the rest of it, otherwise, go nanny state

You young spandex guys, hahaha.

Boner
01-23-2013, 04:51 PM
Jack Russell, awesome you're still getting out. I'd offer help to any cheerful old timer to pack meat to their truck if they need a hand. Wouldn't want anyone to have a jammer. It's hard work. In some situations, it would be a head scratcher for sure being disabled and packing a gutted moose out of the bush.

Ron.C
01-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Maybe no laws are being broke and then the CO's are wasting time chasing tattles, when they could be doing something valuable.

I say before any reporting is done, have some facts and evidence to contribute, not just a tattle on the phone.

How do I know if he has a disability? I don't. But its a fair assumption.If the guy is going to go tear assing past like that with no regard for me hunting there as well, or the effort I put in to get to that point on my own pins, then I'm willing to make the assumption that he is just another asshole that disregards regulations. And not some guy who is physically disadvantaged and has a permit to be there.

Jack Russell
01-23-2013, 05:56 PM
Sorry Boner, I was being sarcastic. I should've added the sarcasm emoticon.

My point being, why should ANYONE be exempted because they have a friggin' disability permit. Boo Freakin' Hoo. They can wait till 10 am like everyone else. NO EXCEPTIONS. PERIOD.

Drillbit
01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry Boner, I was being sarcastic. I should've added the sarcasm emoticon.

My point being, why should ANYONE be exempted because they have a friggin' disability permit. Boo Freakin' Hoo. They can wait till 10 am like everyone else. NO EXCEPTIONS. PERIOD.

Well I have to disagree with you on that one. If you were sitting your atv and got your foot shot off (like the guy at Pink Mtn this year), I would hope you'd be able to continue to hunt in the future. If that meant a permit to let you ride into special areas, that'd be fine with me.

No sarcasm thingy for me....whatever that is....serious post.

Jack Russell
01-24-2013, 12:17 AM
Well I have to disagree with you on that one. If you were sitting your atv and got your foot shot off (like the guy at Pink Mtn this year), I would hope you'd be able to continue to hunt in the future. If that meant a permit to let you ride into special areas, that'd be fine with me.

No sarcasm thingy for me....whatever that is....serious post.

Sure, the guy can still get out and hunt with a missing foot - either by truck, or by quad. He's just going to get on his quad after 10 am. like EVERYONE ELSE.

hunter1947
01-24-2013, 04:17 AM
I just come onto this thread because it was brought back up.

My thoughts are that even if you do have a disability the law should have on the sign that this does include disability people no entry till 10am lets face it this road is open to all after the 10am time so there should be no permits handed out to disability people at all to go into this area at any given time its not a road closure lets be fair.

I would understand if it was a road closure and a quad went by you if they had a permit for disability problems ,,,,,, if it was me and I did have a disability permit I went in on a road closer I come up to a few hunters that were walking in I would have the courtesy to stop show him or her my permit papers and talk to them about how far they where headed in on this road ,,,in other means don't screw up there hunt..

Lets face it it would piss me off if I started walking into a 10am closed road long before 10am and a few quads went screaming up the road past me ,,not very nice no it is not..

fearnodeer
01-24-2013, 07:10 AM
You can't ride the ATV before 10am unless you have a special letter. I know one guy we hunt with has some kind of exemption letter or something due to missing a leg that gets him around all the ATV rules. But I also know another group of guys that just use street licensed dirt bikes to hunt with before 10am.

This is not permitted, read the regs it does not matter if it is licenced.

chilcotin hillbilly
01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
years ago, the 1980's i believe, the atv restrictions came in and it would appear that it was for the benefit of the guides and outfitters, what other reason could it be for zone 5-13 &12 for instance. right now, these areas are logged off, not much game except for wolves and yet the rule is there, how or who did it would be a most interesting investigation, too bad someone who has knowledge of this would'nt explain why, some of us sleep in and don't have the attitude to be the person who knows it all.

Snakeplain,
you have no idea what you are talking about and you do sound like a know it all. I have had talks with the moe to have this restiction removes for the winter months and questioned them on why these different areas have different restrictions.
Here is why they put in the restrictions.......... Because the flack they where getting from resident hunters!!!!! It turns out there was such a battle brewing from the resident side regarding the use of atv's that they decided to make everyone happy. they divided region 5 into 3 general areas, 1. east of the fraser atv;s any time, 2. west of the Fraser north of highway 20 no atv use for hunting, 3 south of highway 20 west of the Fraser 4:00am to 10 am closure.
This was supposed to make all three parties of resident hunters happy. The ones who live on their quads, the ones that only want to use quads for retrievial of game, and the ones that don't want any quads wrecking their hunt. The outfitters had absolutely nothing to to do with region 5 atv restrictions the residents brought it on themselves.

snakeplain
01-24-2013, 11:19 AM
ah chilcotin hillbilly, sorry you got a wrinkle in your spandex, you got your info from the mouth of the moe or the goa sitting at the same table, you must be employed by one of the groups, with your knowledge, i would join the williams lake rod and gun club and make changes for a better relationship with the bcwf and improve the hunting in the province, you're the best

curt
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
regardless what the purpose is.... regardless if we agree or not ...its still the law and we dont have the option of right to question that , you either comply or pay the price until the law is changed it is what it is!
CM

Geo.338
01-24-2013, 11:55 AM
Persons with disabilities can get a special permit to use their ATV in zones which have ATV closures . This gives them an opportunity to hunt an area they otherwise may not be able to hunt . They are required to display this permit on the front of the ATV . You will be able to identify them by this .

Every hunter no matter how well they know , or think they know the regs should read each new edition as small changes do occur and one word can change the whole meaning of a regulation .

ATV bans in the area I hunt are in place for environmental protection .

Jimmy4x4
01-24-2013, 01:21 PM

purely social, there is no conservation nor science behind it whatsoever. social measures have no place in managing our game populations and providing hunting oppourtunities. social measures fall outside the north american conservation model and are detrimental to the long term goal of conservation

Jelvis
01-24-2013, 03:48 PM
Guys on atv's all around the clock or Whaaaaaaaaa? Not only driving all around and, in the dark of all nights, til morning and past til about 9.am, but using Walkie talkies changing information with the other 3 atv'ers in the group of hunters on atv's. Walkie talkies, gps, lights, winches, watches, compasses, maps and apts.
Lots of atv'ers like hunting too, not just in luv with atving. Gun scabbards, heated glove handles, and warmer seat, all the bells
and whistles from their team members on their atv.
.. I don't want to see you on the closed to motor vehicle roads, otherwise don't care about in the morning part that's up to others cuz I don't know all the inz and outz of atving and road hunters.

Drillbit
01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
purely social, there is no conservation nor science behind it whatsoever. social measures have no place in managing our game populations and providing hunting oppourtunities. social measures fall outside the north american conservation model and are detrimental to the long term goal of conservation

^this. Keeps the pocket greasers happy, happy, happy.....since 1985.

toddrat
10-09-2013, 10:58 AM
Atv hunters are plain and simple a menace and destroy the hunting experience for others.

Singleshotneeded
10-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I think it's an okay law, quads going by at dawn scare the game and that's not fair to the guy who got up early and either walked or quadded in to his spot in the dark, just to have a quadder go by and scare the buck he was about to see into the woods. If you can ride in early and then wait for dawn I have to say I like the law...:-)

Barracuda
10-09-2013, 11:46 AM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by J-Man http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1214339#post1214339)

This is not permitted, read the regs it does not matter if it is licenced.

this has be brought up before and as long as it is a lisenced and insured vehicle it is good to go

this is from the regs

All Terrain Vehicle or ATV

- means awheeled vehicle or tracked vehicle propelledby motorized power, and capable of travel onor off a highway, including motorcycles but notincluding a snowmobile or motor vehicle thatis licensed for highway travel under the Motor
Vehicle Act.

Pioneerman
10-09-2013, 01:35 PM
Atv hunters are plain and simple a menace and destroy the hunting experience for others.

That is a odd blanket statement. If you mean noise my diesel truck is louder than my atv. If you mean we are menace because we choose to save fuel and not beat our trucks on logging roads, then yes we are all a menace. i have hunted moose very far back , where no one can drive a truck cause cut lines and are rough, and no one walks that far in, so won't be a menace to you in your road hunting

I have a plate from ICBC on my atv, but still have to abide by regulations, as it is not licensed for hwy use. When it comes to time restrictions you can ride your atv first thing in am as long as you are parked by designated time, which means you are in place an hour or so before shooting time, sounds like a good thing.

10-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Agreed

They need to display the permit.

Persons with disabilities can get a special permit to use their ATV in zones which have ATV closures . This gives them an opportunity to hunt an area they otherwise may not be able to hunt . They are required to display this permit on the front of the ATV . You will be able to identify them by this .

I don't have an ATV but have gotten access to a road or two that was otherwise closed. Even though I can't walk I still had a tough time getting access. One of the CO's said the guide would get upset.

I have only ever encountered one person while on one of these closed roads. He had hiked in and pulled a cart along (R. 8-9). I saw him late in the morning on my way out - he was on a side road. I went up to him, showed him my permit and wheelchair and wished him luck. He was super nice and I immediately vacated the area. He deserved to be rewarded for his hard work and I didn't want to disturb his peace. A little courtesy - in both directions - goes a long way.

Sofa King
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM

just more b.c. rules and regulations out the ying-yang.
the office guys get bored every so often and think up new ones.
anything to make it harder for people to do what they love, be it fishing, hunting, driving, breathing, etc..

and if it's closed during certain times, it should be to everything, not just atv's.
that makes no sense.
and a guy with a disability shouldn't have exemption.

10-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Actually there is a good reason for an exemption. If there is a vehicle restriction then everyone can access that crown land to hunt (barring laziness)...except a person with a disability. It is no different than having a public building with stairs and no ramp. Would you be ok with that?

Sofa King
10-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Actually there is a good reason for an exemption. If there is a vehicle restriction then everyone can access that crown land to hunt (barring laziness)...except a person with a disability. It is no different than having a public building with stairs and no ramp. Would you be ok with that?

not the same at all.
it's being said that the reason for this ban, is to help protect the moose during those hours, which are their breeding hours.
if that is indeed the case, then an atv ban should be an atv ban.
is the reason to help protect the animals, or just to make it harder for the hunters?
can that disabled person clean that moose and get it out of there?
or does he have helpers with him that will be on his atv with him?
or are they now going to be exempt also, because they "need" to accompany him/her?
sorry, I don't agree.
this is different, it's supposed to be about protecting game.

Jelvis
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Doo, one rule for all you say? How's that going to happen?

10-09-2013, 08:08 PM
not the same at all.
it's being said that the reason for this ban, is to help protect the moose during those hours, which are their breeding hours.
if that is indeed the case, then an atv ban should be an atv ban.
is the reason to help protect the animals, or just to make it harder for the hunters?
can that disabled person clean that moose and get it out of there?
or does he have helpers with him that will be on his atv with him?
or are they now going to be exempt also, because they "need" to accompany him/her?
sorry, I don't agree.
this is different, it's supposed to be about protecting game.

"is the reason to help protect the animals, or just to make it harder for the hunters?" - those two things go hand in hand - they are not mutually exclusive.

Yes, you have to have someone accompany you and they are not allowed to use your vehicle to hunt. You are also severely limited in weight of gear you are allowed to carry and daily mileage too.

So my question to you is: do you support restrictions that give access to land and game only to those who can walk?

Jelvis
10-09-2013, 08:16 PM
I think the morning rule is to stop people from driving around all night with a quad
they got lights and someone could say, hey i'm scouting around not hunting til light.
Now they can't scout til it's light so easier to catch.

aggiehunter
10-09-2013, 09:57 PM
don't kid yourselves there is lots of BC boys who would like this restriction applied all over BC and I like it.....unfortunately this rule and many others won't apply to all members of society will it....and saying theres no game just wolves plain doesn't make sense.

aggiehunter
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
...and a motorcycle (type 3) is not a motor vehicle (type 1) so those dirtbikers can look forward to a fine...and .to say that roads and quadder cut trails in our province have not had an effect on wildlife populations is ludicrous...

Spy
10-09-2013, 10:32 PM
Was it not you bitching about a guy that drove past you when you were elk hunting? There are many threads about the evils of quads & some of the ignorant idiots that use them. Thank goodness there are quaders that dont break the law & respect other hunters.Sadly they are a minority.

bccanadian
10-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I have a friend that has hunted for years. He's now in his 70's. He can't walk any great distance anymore. If it wasn't for his quad, he wouldn't be able to get out at all.
He doesn't expect special treatment but he does expect to be treated fairly. Hunting is NOT just for the young it's for everyone.

toad
10-09-2013, 10:44 PM
It's against the law. It isn't up to you to police the situation. Report it. It takes less time to do so than it took to start this thread - and it's anonymous.
that's BS I called rapp after I saw a bunch of guys snagging trout in between moose lake and whiteswan in the creek that leaves moose lake behind the signs that say no fishing....I would never call rapp again they wanted more info on me and what I was doing up there then the poachers..wouldn't waste my cell minutes calling rapp.....

pete_k
10-09-2013, 11:43 PM
just more b.c. rules and regulations out the ying-yang.
the office guys get bored every so often and think up new ones.
anything to make it harder for people to do what they love, be it fishing, hunting, driving, breathing, etc..

and if it's closed during certain times, it should be to everything, not just atv's.
that makes no sense.

I would recommend you get involved if you want answers.
Sounds like your at wit's end.
Go to an open house and meet some of the people involved in managing wildlife. BCWF site should have something.

OOBuck
10-10-2013, 07:33 AM
BULL$HIT law! Couldn't agree more with Duallie, to many feehucking idiots sitting behind desks and making up idiotic rules & regs...

OOBuck
10-10-2013, 07:39 AM
What I find really funny is everyone that doesn't have a quad will still bitch if a little suzuki samurai goes screming by them into there spot!! I love seeing the mass
migration of sj410 & samurai's going up the number one hwy. I lost count the last time I was driving back from Prince George during hunting season..

Gateholio
10-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Was it not you bitching about a guy that drove past you when you were elk hunting? There are many threads about the evils of quads & some of the ignorant idiots that use them. Thank goodness there are quaders that dont break the law & respect other hunters.Sadly they are a minority.
In no way was I suggesting that reducing hunters was a good thing.

The Hermit
10-10-2013, 09:13 AM
There was some discussion at the Provincial level about the restrictions last year... I recall that they will be staying in place as a conservation measure. Its not just about moose but elk and mulies as well.

10-10-2013, 10:45 AM
There was some discussion at the Provincial level about the restrictions last year... I recall that they will be staying in place as a conservation measure. Its not just about moose but elk and mulies as well.

I talked to a Parks manager and he said there will likely be more restrictions, not fewer.

crazy_mtb_2002
10-10-2013, 01:10 PM
Was planning on parking the quad before light anyway!

J_T
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
I like rules for quad use. I don't think it has any quantifiable impact on a reduction in hunter numbers. That's just fear mongering. Sorry, I know that pisses some guys off. ATV's are great and they are an asset for retrieval. I'm fine with people driving in on them early in the morning, but make it early. Not at daylight. And while we might say that's not much different than a truck, the reality is, it is different. An ATV will go a lot of places that a truck won't. Past the end of the road. Hunters, once on the quad, they push them, and go "all the way" and all day. In my experience, when you're walking up a trail before daylight, the guy on the quad has no issue driving on by and ruining your hunt. Yes, ruining your hunt.

GoatGuy
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM

Next question would be.................... if that is a conservation related issue, what are the current sex ratios for those areas???????????????

Hahahaha. It stinks and it's dark out.

GoatGuy
10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
I like rules for quad use. I don't think it has any quantifiable impact on a reduction in hunter numbers. That's just fear mongering. Sorry, I know that pisses some guys off. ATV's are great and they are an asset for retrieval. I'm fine with people driving in on them early in the morning, but make it early. Not at daylight. And while we might say that's not much different than a truck, the reality is, it is different. An ATV will go a lot of places that a truck won't. Past the end of the road. Hunters, once on the quad, they push them, and go "all the way" and all day. In my experience, when you're walking up a trail before daylight, the guy on the quad has no issue driving on by and ruining your hunt. Yes, ruining your hunt.

This is a social issue. Social issues are best measured across a population then by the individual.

Jelvis
10-11-2013, 10:11 PM
As long as there are roads, someone is going to drive on it
If theres a wide trail someone will ride down it
It will never stop til it's brought back to slope with dead trees along on top.
Now give me your bs answer to this. Yood B A Foo to try to deny the logic in this

Jonas111
10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Where we go hunting in MB has a pretty decent quad rule. There is a designated route and you cannot take a motorized vehicle off the route to hunt. It forces people to drive into your area and walk in.

I realize it would be tough in BC but it would keep the quad/truck hunters on certain routes and the hikers and walkers should have more space.

I also agree that the rules and regulations are ridiculous in BC. Like most anything controlled by the government.

Jelvis
10-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Whenever you have lots of atv's moving around some, a minority i hope only that willingly drive on closed trails and roads and say, ah no it's open, oh yah. The whole town uses this road."
As long as there is access it will be breached by someone or three.
The one's who say there open and there not.
If the road is not brought back to slope and made to deny any type of motorized vehicle it will be utilized.
So that's the answer but it won't happen very fast.
People say they need roads to get to a possible fire and on and on and you can't bring back to slope dope.
So the little spinning wheel keeps recycling the staus quo Joe.
Your just spinning your wheels in the gravol.
Jelly Gravol

J_T
10-12-2013, 05:08 AM
This is a social issue. Social issues are best measured across a population then by the individual.
And as individuals we should be free to share our opinions and experiences without judgement. Respect and information is the way to make social change.

David Heitsman
10-12-2013, 07:47 AM
[QUOTE=lovemywinchester;1214365] The moose are morning breeders, a lot like myself. QUOTE]

That was my smile for the day, OK if I use it sometine today too?