PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Campsite at Midnight? - Weedon Lake

Crab Bait
10-09-2012, 11:15 AM
We were camped at the end of a dead end road by Weedon Lake on 06 Oct 2012.

At 11.30pm two vehicles pulled into our campsite and turned around very quickly when I lit them up with the flashlight beam.

One vehicle was a white full size SUV with a fancy decal on the side (no mud or dirt) and the other was a full size, two wheel drive p/u (cab and a half) with a 5th wheel mesh tailgate. No camping gear visible.

You were shining the spot light around, obviously looking for a campsite? Going for an evening drive maybe? Next time stop an chat!

A full report with vehicle types and license plate #'s was made to RAPP. If any HBC members are in the area, keep your eyes open.

Signed - a VERY upset dad (my wife and kids were pretty upset)

frenchbar
10-09-2012, 11:24 AM
this should be a good thread ..lol

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Might be poachers, might have been people out spotlighting to get a look at what is about. It's one of the tools the ministry bios use around here when they are doing deer counts.

J-Man
10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I see lots of ministry trucks coming out of Dog Creek then, they must have a very accurate deer count of the area by now.

huntingmom
10-09-2012, 12:16 PM
I hear you....those people can be quite unnerving.
We were up at Lassie Lk at the end of august.....couple of guys in a pickup truck did the same thing. Just bunch of locals going to campsites looking for things to steal. For the first few nights I stayed up all hours in the morning...watching over the quad. I'll be darned if I let anybody steal that thing.
We talked to other campers about it....they were quite leary with these guys too.
So yeah...it's always good to keep an eye on who's coming and going...especially people in an empty pick-up truck.

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 12:59 PM
It probably wasn't ministry deer counters but it could very well be legitimate hunters doing some scouting. Could be poachers, natives, thieves, or someone actually looking for a campsite, too.

Jagermeister
10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
First Nations conducting their traditional pit lamp hunt, nothing more.

moosinaround
10-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Ummm..........................I will leave my spotlight at home next time I hunt in your area. WOuld hate to be spotlighted as a poacher, especially to some of you folks on this site who are so ethically gifted!! Turn on your spotlight, tagged as a poacher, NICE!!!! FAckin saints!!

Whonnock Boy
10-09-2012, 02:18 PM
but it could very well be legitimate hunters doing some scouting.

Ummm, I believe that is unlawful to hunt wildlife by the use of, or with the aid of, a light or an illuminating device. Yes, I know they were not shooting but, if they are looking for game with the aid of a light for 'scouting', it could be construed as pit lamping. If they had firearms on board, it IS pitlamping. A grey area I am sure.

I was reported last year over the Christmas holidays. My family and I were visiting the in-laws. Regularly I will go out and watch the deer come out of the wood works for the evening. One night both my son and I were out watching one field in particular. I had angled the truck on the side of the road so we could see it all. A couple days later I received a phone call from the local CO asking me what I was doing, and accused me of pitlamping. Someone had called me in. Quite difficult to shine when it is not even dark out yet. Any way, he asked if there was a firearm in the vehicle. If there was I would have been up shit creek.

J-Man
10-09-2012, 02:18 PM
No but driving with your spotlight on, scanning back and forth for KMs on end, not to mention the gun shots. That might get people thinking your not conducting a game count. Anyways those that do poach know they are poaching, exposing them is useless. We all carry spot lights and have turned them on to spot a deer time to time, difference being I don't shoot. Yea called RAPP, does the CO come out and hassle offenders nope but he feels ticketing one of our guys because the V on antlerless had a *unt hair of paper in the corner. No good deed goes unpunished.

Gateholio
10-09-2012, 03:04 PM
As far as I can tell, it's not illegal if you don't have a firearm or other weapon with you.

buck nash
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Upset Dad, What exactly was the problem? I often don't get to my campsite til late at night. What makes you think there was anything suspicious going on. Really why would you stay and chat with strangers at 11:30 pm.? Maybe they were hoping to get your spot but turned around when they saw you'd beat them to it. Maybe they realized they'd disturbed you and didn't want to bother you and your family any further. You should be appreciative for them quietly leaving. No visible camping gear? maybe they pack lightly, (sleeping bag, tent and a cooler), everything else is extras really.

Some people get so jumpy when they're out in the woods. This thread reminds me of another thread where the guy was suspicious of some folks who camped near him so at midnight he shot his gun. Then when the other campers moved he was convinced it was because they were up to no good and his gunshot had prevented his family from being murdered in their sleep or something.

Seriously people, just because you got there via a dirt rd doesn't mean you're the only one who should be out there. If you like to camp there, chances are other people will like to camp there too. If the spot you wanted was taken you're probably gonna use your light to find another spot.

I've been on the recieving end of this sort of unwarrented suspicion and it's very annoying to have people intaregating you about why you would be in "their" spot. Sure it's nice to have the whole campground to yourself, and in october it often works out that way, but not always. So what.

Try to relax out there everybody. Most of us who use the woods are just decent people trying to have fun like you.

Johnny G1
10-09-2012, 05:52 PM
I quess the ole lady will get a talkin to about poachin, her shinin a light and me tryin to find my way off the lake, ya know fishin is good after dark?????

Crab Bait
10-10-2012, 10:42 AM
No mistake, no game count, not arriving late or any other arm chair excuses. It has been reported to the proper agency for investigation.

If you are in the are, please keep your eyes open for these vehicles and call the RAPP line if you see something suspicious.

Please do your part, as this BS has to stop.

Thank-you from "Dad"

Tenacious Billy
10-10-2012, 10:54 AM
No mistake, no game count, not arriving late or any other arm chair excuses. It has been reported to the proper agency for investigation.

If you are in the are, please keep your eyes open for these vehicles and call the RAPP line if you see something suspicious.

Please do your part, as this BS has to stop.

Thank-you from "Dad"

I can understand how it might be a little unnerving with your family there with you - the creepy factor goes up when the sun goes down, regardless. Unless I've missed something though, how can you be sure of what they were or were not doing????

PKernohan
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM
This thread doesn't make one iota of sense. You called rapp because someone pulled into your campsite late at night? If someone was going to steal something from you I highly doubt that they would pull right up in two trucks and start shining a spotlight around!! How do you know they weren't lost, or arriving late an looking for friends who were already up there and they were just looking for something they recognized (trailer,tent,quad,etc...) seems like a waste of time to a CO who's limited resources are stretched thin enough as it is.

Just my 2cents.

Crab Bait
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
Guys, you got the condensed version.

See something suspicious, make the call, that's all I'm asking.

Tenacious Billy
10-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Why don't you tell the whole story so everyone else can see the "suspiciousness" of it all?......

The Dude
10-10-2012, 11:38 AM
Man, this is a tough room.....

russm
10-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Bring a night light it might ease your fears when the sun goes down.

Crab Bait
10-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Yep, "neighbors wife fell down the stairs again", "lady in the short skirt on the corner is just friendly" and "he was a disadvantaged youth."

Keep looking the other way boys. It's really "none of my business anyway"

Hank Hunter
10-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Is this thread for real ? :confused:

walnutz
10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
This makes no sence. Iam missing the point of why a phone call was made or why anyone would be upset??????

BiG Boar
10-10-2012, 01:20 PM
He saw someone driving around at night with a spot lamp. He thought they were pit lamping for deer so he called it into COs. If CO's did come out they would check to see if they have guns or animals on board, if there is a big case of it going on in the area, maybe the CO's would come out and catch them in the act.

At first I thought this was a silly thread, but you had your suspicions and you made the call. We are their eyes for the most part out there. If you thought they were up to no good you did the right thing.

wicket
10-10-2012, 01:30 PM
i second the motion to post the entire story. I am neither for or against or whatever I just like to know all the facts. Im sure it cant be many more keystrokes for you to fill everyone in.
Personally I go by the old moto " If it smells fishy it probably is but eat it anyways" that might not be right but I guess the bottom line is u trusted ur gut and made a phone call. No harm no foul

darrin6109
10-10-2012, 01:33 PM
http://i846.photobucket.com/albums/ab23/darrinandmichelle/a1cc186a-a61a-41c3-925a-b77e5f5c6f69_Medium_zps0fae5d7b.jpg

boneswells
10-10-2012, 05:20 PM
HAHA! Ya more cowbell! Ya I get that...SNL....HAHA...good one

Good2bCanadian
10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Personally I go by the old moto " If it smells fishy it probably is but eat it anyways" that might not be right

Sweet quote! Wicket

sky-gunner
10-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I agree, let's have the full story. Doesn't sound like anything suspicious at all. I don't get what the issue is, why you would be upset, why you would expect someone to come at chat with you at 1130 pm? Lots of people work, then when they get off work head to the bush for their trip, thus arriving late. I've pulled into other people's campsites before late at night, and upon realizing this, make a quick turn around because I'm not wanting to wake anyone or bother anyone. I'm certainly not gonna get out of my truck and come bang on your trailer door at 1130pm to chat. If there's more to the story lets hear it, but sounds like a whole lot of paranoia to me.

springpin
10-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I agree, lets hear the story.http://www.national.ca/library/images/0b74b4b5-cbe1-4ea0-82c1-3d997dfc2bdf.jpg

nitro hunter
10-10-2012, 10:48 PM
Back in the day i pulled into lots of deadend roads and campsites late at nite with the old hotel Dodge in the company of various young ladies.

BowRiver
10-10-2012, 10:52 PM
It probably wasn't ministry deer counters but it could very well be legitimate hunters doing some scouting. Could be poachers, natives, thieves, or someone actually looking for a campsite, too.

Poachers, natives, or thieves ... Really?!

Nuckers69
10-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I guess I should be very relieved that I have never been reported for showing up to a campsite late at night, pretty much every hunting or fishing trip I go on starts with me showing up at camp at or around midnight or so followed by an hour of setting up as quiet as possible......this is usually what happens when you leave after work and have to travel 500 or so km's........ your family was upset and scared ?? I guess the (whole) story must explain a lot cause right now I am very confused as to how any part of your story was upsetting or worthy of a report .... ??????? ..... ?????????

cumminsforever
10-10-2012, 11:18 PM
I've shown up at camp sites late at night before. Also see lots of guys pulling into the bush with trailers n stuff late at night, Take a pill. Unless you see them doing something un lawful there's not a thing you can do about it.

Gateholio
10-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Poachers, natives, or thieves ... Really?!

Are you confused? Perhaps you could articulate your confusion?

Sofa King
10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
i was awoken last year to the sound of footsteps and a flashlight approaching my campsite, which was at the end of a road/trail that was off the main road.
at first, upon waking, i was slightly startled, curious about who was approaching at such a late hour. 1 or 2 am i think.
when they finally realized someone was already camped there, they turned around and walked back out, to their truck on the main road.
it's easy to over-react and assume someone has bad intentions.

now i'm always suspicious first and pretty much don't trust anyone.
but still, unless someone has done something, they could have been doing almost anything.
and what exactly was there to report?
that someone drove to the end of a dead-end and turned around and left?

Crab Bait
10-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Vehicles spotted at the Bear Lake Store. Members of the local FN. End of story.

Spy
10-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Vehicles spotted at the Bear Lake Store. Members of the local FN. End of story.
Well there you have it folks night hunting,pit lampers, first nations keepers of the land ,makes sense now ! We as users of the "bush" should be pushing for an out right ban on night hunting ! Its just to dangerous & should be outlawed on those grounds ! It would make a the CO & cops job so much easier ! Oh you shooting at night, thanks we will have your truck guns & hunting lisence, see you in court, thanks for coming !
Than we can all sleep easier in our tents !

Singleshotneeded
10-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I don't see the issue either, sometimes folks get to campsites late after working, then going home, eating, and packing.
Sometimes when you arrive late you don't get the campsite you had in mind, and have to find another one.
If they were thieves they'd probably park outside of the campsite and walk in quietly...yes they could've been pitlamping
but who knows...probably nothing. Ah, if they were indians driving around at night they most likely were pitlamping.

hunter fisher
09-18-2013, 09:27 AM
Im planning on going to weedon lake next week. its a long drive from Vancouver and when I get there late at night and realize someone is in the camping spot I just found and I turn around, please don't call the cops

Drillbit
09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
So.......say, driving back to camp in the dark after a long day of hunting (with guns) a huge Moose/Elk/Deer is in the middle of the road in the headlights. It slowly walks to the side of the road. You swerve your truck a little bit to keep the light on it (with the intent of taking a picture), because it's taking your phone/camera too long to turn on to get a picture. You want a picture because you are a hunter and appreciate this animal in front of you. You get a picture and drive away.

Is this poaching or pit-lamping?

Charts
09-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Crab bait I 100% agree with you and thank you for calling the RAPP line. It is the job from there for the CO's to invistigate. If its nothing then its nothing but if you stop a poacher then you are a good citizen! these guys don't know what they ar saying and are just having an opposite opinion for the sake of it. These guys must look outside at night and see a guy crouched down beside your window with a small flashlight and think "ohhhh that poor man with all the blue ink tattoos and drug pocked mark face must have lost his kitten somewhere"...tragic... good for you for calling i would do the same!!!!!

ohotnik
09-18-2013, 11:52 AM
In my hunting years, I had to drive to and set up a camp around midnignt, not ones , but twice! Both times it was because of unfamiliar area and the road took much longer then planned (truck problems, waiting for partners, etc.). That is quite possble that the guys were just looking for a vacant camp site.

caddisguy
09-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Wow. Just wow. I camp 20-25 weekends out of the year. I work in downtown Vancouver and finish at 5PM. I take the skytrain and bus home to Langley. grab a bite to eat, get the gear ready, pack up the cooler, load up the Jeep and often it's 8-9PM before I'm on the road. I drive 2-5 hours, arriving at a camp, using lights ranging from a mag light to headlights and high beams to check out the area thoroughly to check for other campers, hazards, etc. Not only does one have every legal right to do this, it would be foolish not to. Having some guns in the vehicle does not mean one is prohibited from operating lights of any power. I have not heard of any law suggesting otherwise and such a law would be thrown out completely the moment it was challenged as it would jeopardize safety of hunters.

I would rather others light up the area and see my tent rather than driving their truck over my tent/gear/self. I also make a habit of lighting up the area to check for other campers, gut piles, animal kills and scan for trees/limbs that might fall, etc. I made the mistake of not being thorough once and slept beside/on a dead--though mostly mother-nature cured--black bear.

I doubt it wasted any RAPP resources like some suggested. At most they might check it out if there has been a pattern of poaching in the area, which would be a good thing, but unless there is something else--like you heard a shot a few minutes later and found them gutting a deer--it is highly likely that you called RAPP over a couple guys looking for a camp spot. This whole thing is slightly police-state-stasi-spy-esque and you are posting it on a forum where the majority have done the exact same thing you reported someone for.

Call my plate into the RAPP all you want, whether I'm looking for a campsite or just doing a little night time 4x4ing with some fellow jeepers, but don't be coming anywhere near my tent at those hours ;-P

BRvalley
09-18-2013, 02:23 PM
our group often leaves town late and sets up camp late, and have had our plans changed along the way and end up looking for a new camp site late at night. I've been in the OP's shoes and I've been in the shoes of the guys in the other truck.....personally, I don't care if somebody calls the RAPP line on us, we have nothing to hide, I don't see why some guys get so upset about making that phone call???

the OP did the right thing in my mind, especially with his family involved, no need to start a confrontation in the middle of the night but if it seems fishy always trust your gut

and I mean let's be honest here, there may be some legit folks out and about with a flashlight at 1am, but the majority are up to no good

nothing like watching 2 guys think about breaking into your canopy, looking in the windows, trying the handles and then them realizing I'm watching them with a rifle over my shoulder coming out of the bush LOL

if it looks like crap, smells like crap, then it likely is crap...no need to make extravagant stories about how it might not be crap

caddisguy
09-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Dang. I just realized this was an old thread brought back from 2012.

Sofa King
09-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Dang. I just realized this was an old thread brought back from 2012.

it's still a good discussion though.

some of you's are saying it was still good to call RAPP anyway.
better to be safe than sorry.
k, but how about how under-funded and under-staffed they are?
someone reported lights being shone.
that's jumping the gun by quite a large margin.
now if shots were fired, that's different.
but there's nothing wrong with people out shining lights in the dark.

it's one thing to watch for and report wrong-do'ers, but reporting things that aren't crimes is a waste of resources.
I was in a tent last year up adams lake.
I was the only one in this area, and was at the very end of the trail.
I awoke in the middle of the night to footsteps.
upon laying there and listening, I could hear two people walking and coming closer.
then, when they got close enough to see I was camped there, they turned around and walked back out.
they didn't drive in because it was a steep trail down where it leaves the road, and i'm assuming they had a trailer.
i'm guessing this, as I don't know, and I eventually heard their truck up above start and drive away.
now the last thing I thought was that someone was coming to ransack my camp.
and about the shining lights, I have a friend who likes to offroad.
he always has one of those mega candlepower spotlights with him.
and he shines that thing at everything when he's out in the bush.
yet he's not a hunter and doesn't own a gun.
just 'cause someone's shining lights in the dark, even if it's at animals, doesn't mean they are criminals or poachers.
if no shots are fired, then it's ridiculous to be reporting it.

caddisguy
09-18-2013, 06:06 PM
It is a good topic. My jaw dropped when I read the original post.

I'd report someone poaching just as fast as the next guy, but camping right where the trail ends and thinking that a couple vehicles rolling up with lights and turning around when they see your camp is suspicious seems a little ignorant of what is rather normal.

Maybe the OP normally stays in hotels on hunting trips and this was his first time camping, or maybe he was just trolling. Campers, 4x4ers, RAPP / CO's and rural RCMP know better.

That part about approaching other peoples camps in the middle of the night to engage in conversation concerned me a little. I hope nobody would actually do that unless you needed to warn someone of a hazard like a grizz circling their tent.