PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa Area

Caretaker
10-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Just Curious
Was thinking on takeing my son deer hunting in this area in Nov. What do you think? Is anyone haveing any luck in this area?
Thanks Caretaker

Jelvis
10-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Go for sure, this area is alive with mule deer habitat, you will like the way it looks, I Garrrrrr in tea it.
Jelly Von Slitsinhymer -- Go and see it, and hunt it. You will be pleasantly surprised --
It will have snow by the next week or so, and that means deer hunting at it's best -- Good luck --

brig
10-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Got my first 4-pointer in the tunkwa area on Remembrance Day a few years ago.

Grousedaddy
10-09-2012, 11:50 AM
I went this last weeken and wasnt to impressed. Its a paved road all the way to the resort which meant tons of hunters in cars vans trucks and quads.... It was hot up there for this time of year so that was also a factor. Most every side road was closed and theres really only 4 or 5 roads to choose from and we seen ppl on every one of them, from my expierence it was way over crowded and we didnt see a single deer but there was sign so they are there. We put many miles on the boots over the weekend and didnt see squat!

swampdonkey jr.
10-09-2012, 04:58 PM
was up there to this past weekend as well never seen so many hunter up there anywhere i went couldnt get away from them

Mulehahn
10-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Tunkwa is one of my favorite places, but it has been getting busy lately. But it usually dies down a bit after the long weekend and the cold temps move in. Last year at around halloween it was a about -10 to -15 over night. I remember two years ago at the end of October I had been hunting since first light, didn't see a damn thing so I walked back to the truck about 9:30 to get something to eat when I hear a BANG. Around the corner, maybe 100 yds away, a women had just shot a nice four point mulie as it was walking on the hill beside the road. Don't know what scared me more, the shot or her screaming. If they get snow you will be amazed at the number of tracks. The deer are there, you just have to find them.

grouse please
10-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I am heading there on Thursday for a week, it opens for anterless on the 10th and on there website look under hunter report to see whats been coming out of there. This will be my first time there.

Davy Crockett
10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Was in this weekend too. Busy but nowhere near as busy as Harrison Lake or Chilliwack River Valley so I'm not complaining too much.

Saw 15-20 does, two bucks and three moose.

wick07
10-09-2012, 11:12 PM
I was just there until this evening. Just got home. Didn't see no activity. Saw a couple doe's after it was black out, no movement during the day. Came home with some grouse and a few good stories. Hit minus 5 not a lot of roads to go on. Lots of people

blackford
10-09-2012, 11:14 PM
I am heading there on Thursday for a week, it opens for anterless on the 10th and on there website look under hunter report to see whats been coming out of there. This will be my first time there.
Antlerless whiteys..right...
but don't they primarily have mulies present

Fishgutz
10-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Just got back from two days up there and we spent 18 plus hours in the bush and didn't see a single deer...... Now if there was an open season for bush cows then this is the place to go.

finngun
10-10-2012, 11:33 AM
jep but very good place for duck blasting i killed many green heads already this fall--kwack-kwack..boom:mrgreen:

Grousedaddy
10-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Ya all i heard was ppl hunting duck sounded like iraq in there at times haha sooo many cows too i was dissapointed with the area

Glenny
10-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Long weekends over. Less hunners. Been seeing tons o doughs all week. We did get a fork last night.

Glenny
10-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Antlerless whiteys..right...
but don't they primarily have mulies present

Mostly muwls but the area hold pockets of whities. Just gotta know where to look.

finngun
10-10-2012, 12:09 PM
jep but very good place for duck blasting i killed many green heads already this fall--kwack-kwack..boom:mrgreen:

and those people camping ..didn't like wake up calls boom-boom early6,30am close that campground.. we got some loong nasty looks...all legal anyways..:mrgreen:wah-wahh
it was raining kwakies..gravity calls them down..:mrgreen:

Glenny
10-10-2012, 12:12 PM
and those people camping ..didn't like wake up calls boom-boom early6,30am close that campground.. we got some loong nasty looks...all legal anyways..:mrgreen:wah-wahh
it was raining kwakies..gravity calls them down..:mrgreen:

Used to hunt that flyway a lot. Best in the evening hunt. Waves n waves of quack quacks.

Fishgutz
10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Man I didn't even think of shooting ducks! Mind you we got some nasty nasty looks from the tree huggers next door when I took less then two mintues to cut some fire wood up with the chain saw.

shadow1982
10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Hey caretaker,

Hunting should be fine in November... its too hot right now.. best of luck

Sofa King
10-10-2012, 09:28 PM
i haven't hunted that area in years.
used to like it, but any place that is too accessible from the main highway is just way too busy now.
same thing happened to sunset main for me.

Jelvis
10-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Awesome grouse, your son will remember that trip for ever, and so will you, congrats from Kamloops hunters, on a hunt of a lifetime with, with dad and son.
Thanks for the good news.
Jel ( Tunkwa) Is Special

fireblaze
10-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Spent 5 days up there last week trying to get my brothers region 3 muley. No dice. Saw 31 does , 5 moose, one 2 point buck (he was on the run). Bagged a coyote and a grouse. No buck.... Great time with my brother and cousin who tagged along. Search high and low, From tunkwa, to the high altitudes above the mine, towards lac lac lajeune.... Just does.... Did some great tracking. All lead to does unfortunately. Pushed bush, Camped locations with good fresh signs..... Just does. I can't even tell you how awesome the Garmin rinos preformed, super invention for deer hunting. Lots of fresh signs around deep creek valleys. The real high elevations only had signs of moose and old deer droppings, I think they are moving lower.

Fun trip though. Stayed at mile high resort. Great place to stay for that rustic feel. Plus the owners are super nice people.

Quesnel Kid
10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Been there the last 3 years now alway had good luck. There is a ton road traffic but if you are willing to get out of the truck or off the quad and walk you will run into deer.

keithb7
10-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Great looking area, I agree. A little too accessable. I am thinking mid Nov on, in the snow should be good. Mid week!

mikek blacktail
10-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Just got back and saw lots of different game but mostly in the afternoon (we were up early but nothing moved before 9am which was frustrating) very diverse, and the resort was very friendly for a family to stay at. The best part was my 7 yr old got 3 grouse and said that it was the best week of his life, thanks to all who recommended it! pics to follow

it's illegal for your seven year old to shoot a grouse,shame on you for teaching your kid to be a poacher.Be a better mentor for your son,now his first hunting experience is tainted:(

Old Crow
10-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Whats worse..Spending quality time in the bush with your son..Or being a internet Kunt??Oh wait your from the island so its expected....yep that's what I said

Grousedaddy
10-18-2012, 07:08 PM
I hope your joking.......

it's illegal for your seven year old to shoot a grouse,shame on you for teaching your kid to be a poacher.Be a better mentor for your son,now his first hunting experience is tainted:(

cameron0518
10-18-2012, 07:10 PM
tunkwa is awesome. Get bucks every year there. Great place to hunt. everyone will clear out of there now anyways. I never have had issues with seeing too many guys. Lots of whities.

Matty_ola
10-18-2012, 07:48 PM

Thats not true.... His kid is probably completely unaware any laws were broken:) He'll be just fine.

skibum
10-18-2012, 08:01 PM
don't feed it

lovemywinchester
10-18-2012, 08:06 PM
ibtl...............

TexasWalker
10-18-2012, 08:46 PM

You should call the RAPP line you phukin do gooder

cameron0518
10-18-2012, 09:33 PM
Why should someone be critisized for telling the truth??? All you guys do is preach ethics on every other topic but on this one, it is ok to break the rules??? Either go by the book or don't but don't hate cause someone points out a lawful fact. Don't jump on the bandwagon depending on your moods. I have a son that is not of legal age and he will wait until he is legal.

Caretaker
10-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Holly Shit
When I started this thread I was just asking about a place to bring my son on a fast trip deer hunting, he is 25, I never thought it would go this far that someone would call a seven year old a poacher for his dad letting him shoot some grouse, I guess some people never grew up in the real world. I can still remember shooting my first grouse and I am 67, for christ sakes man, get a life.I don"t think to many laws were broke, maybe bent a little.
Caretaker

cameron0518
10-18-2012, 10:15 PM
i may not agree with the law but it is stated in the regs. You dont bend the rules, you either abide by them or break them even if it is unknowingly. Nobody is perfect except most of the guys on here. I think the rule is rediculous but doesn't mean i can do what i want or bend it. I would love my son to shoot a grouse right now but he unfortunately has to wait.I dont think he should be reported or anything else but should prob take his post down.

lovemywinchester
10-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Standing behind your boy teaching him to shoot and eat grouse must be a great feeling.

cameron0518
10-18-2012, 10:30 PM
it will be. lol

Johnny G1
10-18-2012, 10:38 PM
As long as the kid cut his tags for the grouse lol, who the Hell cares, hope the little fellow can shoot some more. I quess the majority out here has never bent any friggin RULES.

ghost
10-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Good job letting the little guy shoot a grouse.

Dirty Steve
10-19-2012, 07:03 AM
That seems a little ignorant. Clearly you don't have kids and don't have any idea what it's like to take your 7 year old out with you. I would suggest if you had any ethics you might apologise to the guy for being so rude, wether you think it's right or not how hes teaching his kid to hunt.

Matty_ola
10-19-2012, 07:11 AM
That seems a little ignorant. Clearly you don't have kids and don't have any idea what it's like to take your 7 year old out with you. I would suggest if you had any ethics you might apologise to the guy for being so rude, wether you think it's right or not how hes teaching his kid to hunt.

Just FYI, there is nothing ignorant about the comment he made, in fact probably the exact opposite. I think belligerent would be the word you're looking for.
Please look up the definition of words before using them incorrectly. This is the Internet for god sakes, people live by the stuff they read here...;)

frenchbar
10-19-2012, 07:20 AM
if only i could get my seven yr old to quit grabbing my 300 and scooping me out the door when were out road hunting for muleys......hes a quick little buggar for seven ......you should see his trophy wall ...his biggest buck...outa tunkwa area hangs proudly next to his elmo poster.:mrgreen:

grouse please
10-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Took it down thanks to those who had positive words! As for the rest make sure your perfect everyday day for the rest of your lives even if you miss read something and thought it was ok you will be judged before your asked if you had read the regs correct (which I thought this site was people helping others and learning). It is one thing to read and break the rules but another to misunderstand them (and of course it is for me to be able to understand them not for someone to explain them to me) but I am not perfect and miss read them, but never the less my son and I had a wonderful time.

mikek blacktail
10-21-2012, 06:12 AM
im getting ready to take my daughter whose 13 and an accomplished legal hunter from the age of ten.I'm not calling the child a poacher ,i just said you should teach young hunters to follow the rules insteadf of breaking them.insulting me for the truth shows your ignorance.i waited till my daughter was legal before i took her hunting,and i'm happy i did .gotta run she wants to get hunting..

Rob Chipman
10-21-2012, 02:08 PM
There's way too many rules already, because the guys who make rules groove on making rules. If you believe that you have to follow every rule made just because someone told you that it's a rule you're going to have an existence that is increasingly controlled by other people. That's not exactly the kind of freedom I want to experience.

If the kid was well supervised and his old man had the license, fine and dandy. It's not like there's a shortage of grouse, but there is a shortage of people who maintain hunting as a part of our heritage.

What scares me about a 7 year old nailing three grouse in one day is that he'll probably end up being a more successful hunter than me...story of my life! :-)

Grousedaddy
10-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Exactly well put Rob ! If the father kept it within his bag limit who cares who pulled the trigger!!

Matty_ola
10-21-2012, 02:36 PM
There's way too many rules already, because the guys who make rules groove on making rules. If you believe that you have to follow every rule made just because someone told you that it's a rule you're going to have an existence that is increasingly controlled by other people. That's not exactly the kind of freedom I want to experience.

If the kid was well supervised and his old man had the license, fine and dandy. It's not like there's a shortage of grouse, but there is a shortage of people who maintain hunting as a part of our heritage.

What scares me about a 7 year old nailing three grouse in one day is that he'll probably end up being a more successful hunter than me...story of my life! :-)

the only problem with that is some people don't know where to draw the line, thus why we have rules to follow. Some might say there's no shortage of ducks or geese so what's wrong with my 8 year old son taking a poke at one?

Rules are rules people, follow them or don't, but if you choose to chat (intentional or not) about breaking the rules online for the world to see then expect the repercussions.

Everyone knows if you're going to break rules you do it alone;)

Matty_ola
10-21-2012, 02:38 PM
Exactly well put Rob ! If the father kept it within his bag limit who cares who pulled the trigger!!

So you won't have a problem with me heading out with my native buddies and blasting a few cow moose then? I mean, ill stay within their bag limit of course;)

Singleshotneeded
10-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I think a bit of common sense goes a long way...if you're a Canadian hunter following our regs, which is generally 5 grouse
of each type per day...who cares if a guy lets his 8 year old shoot a few, as long as he's within the bag limit specified by the
BC Hunting Regulations Synopsis. It's perfectly safe if the parent is right there beside the kid when he or she pots the grouse.
The regs specifying a minimum age were most likely put in place because some parents might not use common sense, and send their
8 year old kid out over the next ridge to hunt. The little guy would probably be a bit scared and nervous and start shooting at
anything that moves, regardless of what he was taught. The responsible dad that is right beside their kid, and gives them a chance
to pot a grouse or two, should be congratulated and not criticized.
Joining a bunch of indians on a wholesale slaughter of wildlife, ummm, would be a completely different thing, lol! :-D

Grousedaddy
10-21-2012, 03:10 PM
My wife and daughter are both status and i dont abuse there rights at all, i just know when my daughters old enough to hunt i wont have to worry about her getting sh*t on over a grouse because she can take as many as she pleases . If you feel the NEED to go shoot cow moose with your friends and theyre willing to take that chance on you im not going to belittle u on here over it im not the ethics police but if a father wants to let his son shoot a grouse it doesnt bother me one bit . Maybe i should take the wife out and let her drop everything we see and post pics and watch the outcry over it ... So no it wouldnt bother me one bit if you choose to do that i really dont care ;)

So you won't have a problem with me heading out with my native buddies and blasting a few cow moose then? I mean, ill stay within their bag limit of course;)

moosezilla
10-21-2012, 05:54 PM
getting off track here....................would love to know more about the Tunkwa area. Might head up there in mid November. Any one put in time around then and how did it go? deer numbers? Cheers all

Glenny
10-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Ya just a little off track. I'm going up on the 3rd of Nov again. Should be good numbers. I spent the last 2 weeks up there. I have a score to settle with a big Mulw buck that gave me the slip. I'll let you know if I see more or less deer.

6pt_elk_wannabe
01-24-2013, 06:49 PM
when you guys say that there is too much hunter traffic up there does that mean you see like 50 trucks/quads a day or see 10-20? Or id it just because you're used to hunting where there is minimal hunters?