PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Mule Deer in 4-20 and 4-21????

grizzlydown
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Been in the EK since Friday and teh only Mulies we have seen are in the yards in KImberly and Marysville. Been on both sides of the river near Skookumchuck. Been up the White Swan and all we keep bumping into is Whitetails. Lots of Whitetails!! So my question to you locals and experienced hunters of 4-20 and 4-21 where the hell are all the Mule Deer?
So in 3 days we have seen 83 Whitetails and only one spiker buck which we let live for another day and 7 dry does. All the rest are Does and fawn combo's which is good to see the ration so high. Cannot find a 2 pt or better whitetail fo rmy kid to get a crack at but with all the fawns they must be somewhere.

Darksith
10-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I have family in that area and they have told me the mulies are way up in the mountains and they don't come down till the snow pushes them. U won't see them low till november.

WKCotts
10-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Been hunting over there for years, don't see close to the number of mulies as we used to. Lots of wt thought as you have stated

grizzlydown
10-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I have family in that area and they have told me the mulies are way up in the mountains and they don't come down till the snow pushes them. U won't see them low till november.
I here ya Darksmith, we noticed the numbers down in the last two years. I hear they culled 110 deer in the Kimberly/Marysville area and I am wondering why we did not invest some money into transporting them into areas that need a boost??

Stone Sheep Steve
10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Antlerless whitie season opens in 2 days. Make sure you go home with you share of whitey does. That will help the mulies.

SSS

Everett
10-08-2012, 07:49 PM
The deer are in the drainages with water it has not rained in Kimberley in over a month. Look for mid elevation Timber areas thet have water.

grizzlydown
10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Antlerless whitie season opens in 2 days. Make sure you go home with you share of whitey does. That will help the mulies.

SSS
SSS the three of us (my son and my dad) are prepared for 6 dry Does to mak ethe trip back to PG!!! My son was hoping to get his first Whitetail Buck.

grizzlydown
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
The deer are in the drainages with water it has not rained in Kimberley in over a month. Look for mid elevation Timber areas thet have water.
Thanks Everett...we have been hunting between 4-6 thousand feet. My need to glass the drainages a little more closer.

sawmill
10-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I here ya Darksmith, we noticed the numbers down in the last two years. I hear they culled 110 deer in the Kimberly/Marysville area and I am wondering why we did not invest some money into transporting them into areas that need a boost??

Because they are stupid and fearless fourth generation town deer that wouldn`t last a month in the real world.And nobody wanted to cough up a quarter million bucks to move them.

grizzlydown
10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Because they are stupid and fearless fourth generation town deer that wouldn`t last a month in the real world.And nobody wanted to cough up a quarter million bucks to move them.
Well said Sawmill. Putting it that way makes more sense but still to just cull 110 deer. They could have had locals pay $10 a tag for easy freezer meat and put the money toward the local food bank.
How many did they Cull in Cranbrook?

Stone Sheep Steve
10-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Well said Sawmill. Putting it that way makes more sense but still to just cull 110 deer. They could have had locals pay $10 a tag for easy freezer meat and put the money toward the local food bank.

And how would you suggest the hunter's kill them in town??

I'm sure the local foodbank welcomed the meat of those 110 culled deer.

SSS

sawmill
10-09-2012, 02:26 PM

They only did 25 in Cranny,100 here and about 25 in Invermere before the hippies and bunnie huggers shut them down.All the deer were ground and given to the food banks.And you really don~t want guys shooting deer in the streets here,at least I don`t.And the deer culled here didn`t even make a dent,all the does seem to have had twins again so we have more than before the cull.I just shoot them in the ass with a pellet rifle when they come in my yard,got them all trained up,now they cross the street when they come by my place.They eat the shit out of the neighbors stuff but never mine.

grizzlydown
10-09-2012, 07:58 PM
And how would you suggest the hunter's kill them in town??

I'm sure the local foodbank welcomed the meat of those 110 culled deer.

SSS Bow season runs later this year.....from what I heard the food bank did not take any of the deer culled.

bugler
10-11-2012, 06:35 PM
They all daid...

Husky7mm
10-11-2012, 06:56 PM
6 dry does!!!! They won't be found close to Cranbrook, been out almost every night since the 1st and seen Maby 20 wt, shoulda seen 200...... Biggest buck I have seen, a 2 point!! To be clear I wasn't hunting for them but there are no where near the numbers just a few years ago...... Oh well from the sounds of it next year will be way better:p

Islandeer
10-11-2012, 09:48 PM
cmon Husky, you have seen waayy more than that!!!!!

Husky7mm
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Hey I can't speak for Kimberly north but my &$d I am not kidding!!!!! The elk now out number the deer, combined ! No shit! Some areas are game less..... Not shittin!

The Dude
10-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Yo have to shoot two WT Does and a Wolf before the hunting Gods let you see a Mulw Deer buck in Region 4.

The Great Zucchini told me so :D

paulgug
10-11-2012, 10:56 PM
when i was hunting in the EK last month our camp didn't see one muley. normally we would see lots of muleys and the odd whitetail. This trip we seen a shit load of WT and thats it. Good luck finding your muley. they must be up high and keepin a low profile in this dry warm weather

Husky7mm
10-12-2012, 04:49 AM
Yo have to shoot two WT Does and a Wolf before the hunting Gods let you see a Mulw Deer buck in Region 4.

The Great Zucchini told me so :D

Seen a few dinkers.....

Oh great zucchini..... Do you mean all in one year?