PDA

View Full Version : Hunted Bridge Lake/Canam Lake area

mike_b
10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I've been hunting for a number of years, but wouldn't say I'm an expert or novice at hunting. Theis last weekend, 4 of us heading up to the Bridge Lake/Canam Lake area to do some hunting and some fishing. In all my years of hunting, I have NEVER been so discouraged!!

Between the 4 of us, we didn't even see one doe (beside the one we saw on the highway before the HWY 24 turn-off)!! Not even fresh droppings!! I couldn't believe it!! All we saw was one lonely grouse (at least that tasted good). I don't know; was it the weather way to warm and the deer not being pushed down lower because of it or what?? Anyone else go through this in this area?? And talking to some friends who went hunting in other regions this weekend (3 and 8) they had the same outcome.

This was definately a trip I'm looking forward to forgetting....haha

BearStump
10-08-2012, 03:43 PM
you should have done a search on here first before you wasted your time. its been talked about before on this site, how that area is void of deer after the end of september. They move south.

squamishhunter
10-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Just spent 4 days at the south end of lillooet lake and saw absolutely nothing as well. Not even a grouse or two.

mike_b
10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks Bearstump, but I have been hunting that area for about the past 6-7 years, and this was the first time I've ever come home empty handed. If Windy Mountain didn't produce, then the area near Canam lake that I enjoy to hunt did. So I guess it's fair to say I've done about 6-7 years of research on the area;-)

Big Lew
10-08-2012, 04:14 PM
We used to have a cabin on north-west Bridge Lake for many years. It was very seldom we wouldn't see at least several does anytime we went for a drive during August to the first week of October. As "Bearstump" remarked, most of the deer seem to move out as soon as the colder weather begins in the 1-3 week of October. After an early snowfall, I have seen this phenomenon recorded with masses of tracks all heading south or south-east. I happened to drive through, including visiting our former cabin, on September 28 just now, and did see about 6 does/fawns between the bridge and Ross's Ranch.

olharley guy
10-08-2012, 06:09 PM
Howdy, went for a look see last nite around Horse Lake/Doman road area - 14 does and fawns and one cow and calf.--Still no bucks??? LOL Later

As I previously hit enter the post-the wife calls me to the kitchen window and there is another large doe about 40'0 from the house??? They look great but sure don't help with filling the freezer. LOL

REMINGTON JIM
10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
No Game or Fish left in reg 5-2 and 5-1 now - no use coming up here ! :) RJ

dana
10-08-2012, 06:59 PM
You experienced what most hunters in the Southern Interior would have experience. Warm weather coupled with clear, bright nights. Most animals would have been feeding at night and sleeping most of the daylight hours. The cold weather we had several weeks back (remember the snow that hit 100 mile?) put most of the animals into their winter coats. With weather reaching 20 during the day, way to hot with those coats on to be out and about in the blarring sun.

REMINGTON JIM
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
The deer living in my yard here have already heavy coats for this early in the year alright ! :) RJ

ElliotMoose
10-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Was up that way last weekend as well in 3-30 and the hills seemed to be pretty scarce. The deer are already on their way out. Will focus my efforts on lower elevations for the rest of the season

hiway24
10-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Didn't see much up there either on the long weekend or all summer. The wolf population is on a rise up there that might have something to do with it too.

walks with deer
10-10-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree with Dana

Extremly nocturnal.

Only deer we found where hunting bedding areas out of the heat close to water.

Argali
10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
I saw a big 5 point bull elk crossing the highway 1km from Bridge Lake just over a week ago .... but no deer.
Was surprised to see an elk there.

Big Lew
10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
When the Wife and I were in the Bridge to Latremouille Lake area during the first week of October, when not at the lakes, we poked about in the local hills for one day, and although we saw no bucks, we saw a fair amount of reasonably fresh sizable tracks and a sow with 2 large cubs. I don't think the deer had left at that time, but as "Dana" suggested, because of the full moon and extreme heat, they were feeding at night and laying up in the cool timber thickets during the day. As for the the wolf situation, it's been a real problem in that area for several years now. When we were camping at Latremouille Lake we heard them howling at night. When we were camping near Caverhill Lake we heard them howling as well.

wos
10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I basically grew up hunting 5-1 the deer can sometimes leave very early. The last 10 years or so they seam to linger longer and longer. I have seen the odd set of tracks in the winter and have found a few sheds over the past couple years. I think has a lot to to with better browse and resent mild winters.