PDA

View Full Version : Tips and hints for Elk in the okanagon?

Bc Deer Hunter
10-08-2012, 02:57 PM
This is my first year going for elk. Would like to get out and have one last try on elk before the season ends, but the kootneys is a bit to far so local will have to do. Just would like some info on what to look for when going for region 8 elk, im aware that there will be going through a second estrus anytime now, but i have read that elk around here are very wary and do not like to respond to calls around hear. Also where do you typically find elk this time of year up higher or down lower? Will they still be using wallows, and do they prefer south or north facing slopes? Anything helps, thanks for reading.

Ghengis Khandrey
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
They're all over the place, but its like finding a needle in a haystack

.300WSMImpact!
10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
toughest hunt I have ever done region 8 elk, oh the hunt is still on going year 4 no dead elk yet

Bc Deer Hunter
10-08-2012, 03:30 PM
They're all over the place, but its like finding a needle in a haystack

toughest hunt I have ever done region 8 elk, oh the hunt is still on going year 4 no dead elk yet

Thanks for your honesty!

.300WSMImpact!
10-08-2012, 03:33 PM
dont get me wrong its been a ton of fun, but the success has to be judged by visuals

Bc Deer Hunter
10-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Any body have anything?? C'mon help me out here!

OutWest
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Region 8 elk are actually a completely different species than those in 4 and other regions. They don't use wallows or make rubs and apparently they don't know how to bugle either. In fact, I've been told they don't even have a rut. You need to look for completely different sign than you normally would :roll:.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Region 8 elk are actually a completely different species than those in 4 and other regions. They don't use wallows or make rubs and apparently they don't know how to bugle either. In fact, I've been told they don't even have a rut. You need to look for completely different sign than you normally would :roll:.
Wow thanks a ton for helping a new elk hunter out, really appreaciate the constructive input...

Muliechaser
10-08-2012, 07:52 PM
LOL this made my day

300H&H
10-08-2012, 07:53 PM

And that BCDH is what we like to call "sarcasm".

Nick yur a funny guy. Are you missing Toon Town at all ?

OutWest
10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow thanks a ton for helping a new elk hunter out, really appreaciate the constructive input...

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Look for sign just like you normally would. Any guy who tells you that Okanagan bulls don't bugle is either full of shit or doesn't know what he's doing himself.

OutWest
10-08-2012, 07:57 PM
And that BCDH is what we like to call "sarcasm".

Nick yur a funny guy. Are you missing Toon Town at all ?

Ah yes and no. The Koots are awesome and I've enjoyed my most fun year of elk hunting in 10 years which says a lot considering what I've been lucky enough to experience close to home. Lots of other things to enjoy from a recreation aspect as well.

For a recently single guy living in the Gar....Well that's another story.

Bc Deer Hunter
10-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Look for sign just like you normally would. Any guy who tells you that Okanagan bulls don't bugle is either full of shit or doesn't know what he's doing himself.
:frown: read it on a thread that was posted on hear, do you think they will start to move to south facing slopes now, beacause it is starting to cool down a bit?

Muliechaser
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Your asking " what" to look for.... I would expect something along those lines aswell
If I were asking what u asked. This is.also my first year actively hunting elk in 8.
Your not going to get much help without a sence of humor.
Which so far you seem to be lacking lol.
Step one. Find the sign. Step two. Find the elk. Step 3 . Learn as much as you can
About thèse ghostly critters Before attempting to hunt them.
I started not knowing jack. I finally seen my first elk 2 says ago.

And if you pay attention along the way when you do find them it all makes sence.
And you really start to learn how they pattern .

Good luck man.
Ps , find the sign youll find the elk..... Sooner or Later lol

358mag
10-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Thanks for the info Nick will give that a try and see if it works keep you posted ....:-D

snowriver
10-08-2012, 08:33 PM
In the Okanagan you have to hunt Elk like vampires. They hate sunlight. They normally enter their feeding area after shooting light and are on the move at the very first sign of daybreak. If you can find their trails out of the cut, get back up at least a half hour away. They will be headed for dark timber. (where the sun don't shine) Of course there are exceptions, this is when some lucky fellow runs into a bull that doesn't know the rules. Or the bull is just horny enough to take the risk. If you don't see any sign on the road, walk into the bush a hundred yards, preferably uphill to a flat area above the road where most people can't see. You will find Elk sign. I have hunted Elk for many years, I have never shot one standing on a road. Others have, but not many. They are elusive, but they are there. Their nose is there greatest asset and usually there are at least a half dozen noses doing their job. Always hunt with the wind in your face. If it isn't, go home. Hunt cloudy, rainy days. Hunt when no one else would want to be out. Elk are always looking to cool down. The colder the day the more active they become. And don't forget to take a stake and a good hammer.

bucka
10-08-2012, 08:34 PM
It is true. Region 8 Elk are very quiet and stealthy creatures. Instead of bugles, tweets, rubs and wallows, they leave hoof prints for oneanother as a form of comunicating to eachother. (something like morse code). Once they find eachother the rest of the communication is achieved by blinking to oneanother (during the daytime) and tap on trees with either their hooves or anlers (after dark). This is why you'll find that the rut (if at all) happends later here than in other regions as it takes them a lot longer to get together to form a heard. I've been hunting this area for a long time and this has been my experience. Hint...keep a look out for hoof prints on odd formation. Once you been at it for a while, you get to understand the language and can get an pretty good idea what they're plans are and what dirrection to go.

OutWest
10-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info Nick will give that a try and see if it works keep you posted ....:-D

Right on Skip. Must not have been you on the camera blowing the bugle out of the wrong end ;)

358mag
10-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Right on Skip. Must not have been you on the camera blowing the bugle out of the wrong end ;)
Nope not me on your T-Cam but thanks for the tip on the buglehttp://www.accuratereloading.com/forums/thumbsup2.gif (javascript:void(0))