PDA

View Full Version : Tunkwa advice.....

Scance
10-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Hello all, Im leaving tomorrow morning for Tunkwa, am taking my wife on her first "real" hunting trip, she got her first deer last year here on Vancouver Island so time to step it up a bit so to speak... couple of questions for all you experienced hunters out there... first I bought her a 243 XBolt last year and she loves it, hits the gong at the range 300 yds standing no problem, last year she shot the 2 pt through the heart... however she is not afraid of the 270 but is all over the target with it at 100 yards... so is the 243 with great shot placement adequate for a Interior deer ? Second is, I have an opportunity to take a new hunter on a great trip (5 days) and would like to give her every opportunity to harvest a deer, as I usually hunt in other areas when I go on my trips with the guys... (so don't worry all you mocho hard asses this is not a "invasion") any way if you have any tips, hints, advice I would be grateful and respect your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

I just realized writing this post that despite taking at least 15 animals in my past, I may be more excited than she is... LOL..

BiG Boar
10-08-2012, 07:07 AM
243 may bounce off. To test if it will work, put yourself down range (rough size of a mainland deer) and ask her to squeeze one off on ya. Post up the results.

I am curious as to why the 270 doesnt work for her. Post up if you find out.

Lots of deer up that way, hunt hard, but more importantly enjoy the time together.

Scance
10-08-2012, 07:15 AM
I think it has to do with the balance and weight of the gun... and maybe a little with the kick.... haven't totally figured it out yet.

.330 Dakota
10-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Always a comedian in the crowd...lol I have shot many a black bear with the 243 so I am sure it will work fine for our "mainland deer"
Just keep her nearby if your in griz country...good luck have fun

4 point
10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Deer are there both whities and mulies. 243 will wack them just fine. Have a great trip the weather forecast looks cool at night and sunny during th day. Be out very early and late in the day for sure.

kennyj
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
The 243 is awesome for all deer. Knocks over mule deer no problem.
kenny

Scance
10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys for confirming for me.. She will have way more fun with the 243 and that's what it's all about for this trip. Any clues as to where a might find one for her.. Like to walk lots.. I don't sit still well.. Lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

cameron0518
10-08-2012, 01:39 PM
great place to go.

Grousedaddy
10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Tunkwas way overcrowded imo any where the road is paved all the way equals tons of traffic and its too hot up there atm but good luck and have fun!!

specbelly
10-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Right by the lake, walk on the power line but get back a ways on the game trails, the whitetails are there. Mulies tend to be higher but have seen my fair share when pocking around for the whities. Just get back off the raod a ways, go early and stay late and move SLOW

270WIN
10-09-2012, 03:41 PM
ask this mulie how he liked the 243 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?87193-My-First-Bruiser-Buck&highlight=sled

Bushy
10-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Having a bbq on my deck tonight D, stop in. From your cabin, 30 steps west,20 steps north

Hope you have Wi-Fi:mrgreen:

Last Friday before sunrise

http://gallery.flybc.ca/Bushman/fbc3