PDA

View Full Version : First moose down!

brig
10-07-2012, 08:07 PM
So a couple buddies got our first ever Leh moose tag after trying for the last several years. This being our first time hunting for something other than deer we were very excited to give it a go. We were headed northwest of Kamloops to an area we didn't know a whole lot about, armed only with the knowledge that we were able to gain from a few helpful members on this site. We got up to our selected location on Thursday morning to set up camp and starting scouting for an ideal location to find a moose. All day Thursday we hiked and drove looking for some good sign but never found anything to promising. For the evening we set up in a large overgrown cut with some swampy area. We tried calling and glassing till dark but we saw nothing other than a herd of cows. Sitting around the fire for the evening we discussed what to do. We decided to pack up camp and head a bit more north into the region at first light. After a good sleep and feeling refreshed, albeit maybe a little discouraged and doubtful after seeing no good sign the day before, we headed out in search of more promising territory. By 8:30 we had come to a spot we thought looked alright so after dropping the trailer off we went off in different directions to look for some moose sign. Well after we had spent some time covering some ground both in the truck and on foot we were headed back to camp with a bit more hope having spotted some sign. Halfway back we spotted a doe down off the road. We stopped to take a look and out popped a buck right beside the doe so it didn't take long and we had a deer down anyways! Eventually we made it back to camp after taking care of the deer and had a good lunch of bacon and eggs. After discussing what we had all seen and talking with a few other hunters in the area we had a decent idea of what we wanted to do. We heard a few reports that there were a few bulls roaming around the area. So off we headed, 2 of us into an older cut block area and 2 into a cutblock that was still being logged. Well as Me and my buddy were hiking in our cut we heard a gunshot a ways over. Could it be our 2 buddies? We thought maybe they had a deer down if anything. Until we ran into a hunter on his quad who told us a couple guys had a moose down a little ways over! They were looking for their buddies! Oh my goodness did we actually get a moose already?! So we hoofed it back to the truck and whipped over there and sure enough, moose down!! Well talk about exciting! I don't think any of us really were to sure we would actually get one so we were all pretty excited. The funny thing was they were just driving down from the top of the cut with a deer they had just shot to go bring it to camp when they spotted the bull trying to get it on with a cow moose! I guess they are still rutting because the thing had a one track mind and just ignored them until it got shot. Now when a moose dies 200 yards below the road you have a lot of work in front of you. We would probably still be down there trying to get that moose out of there if the hunters camping next to us with a couple quads didn't happen to drive by just as we were going up the road to find the moose. They offered to help with getting the moose off the hill with their quads. So once we gutted the moose and split it in 2 we managed to load up the quads and get it up to our trucks. Down the hill and back to camp where we celebrated and skinned it out. Well we hadn't been expecting to to get a moose and 2 deer quite so quickly but with no need for more meat we decided to pack up camp and head home saturday morning. So for a hunt that we didn't really know what to expect and with no experience with moose hunting it went very well. A real big thank-you to all the guys who helped out with a bit of information on the region we were in and especially to the 2 hunters who helped out with getting the moose back to camp!

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q649/Beasterfish/IMG_0040_zps499cb52f.jpg
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q649/Beasterfish/IMG_0054_zps7857dcbe.jpg
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q649/Beasterfish/IMG_0055_zpse1e0c567.jpg
http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q649/Beasterfish/IMG_0037_zpsfa71ba6c.jpg

Only thing that sucked was having no reason to hunt anymore! I was planning on going out a time or 2 yet this season but now there is no reason to!

5 spike
10-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Congrats guys.

f350ps
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM
Good job boys, way to getter done, that will be one fine tasting bull! K

ramron
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
First one's always the best, congrats.

Caveman
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Good work Brian! i'm glad everything worked out for you guys, Congrats!!

ydouask
10-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Well done men. Great to hear of the help offered by fellow hunters.

Jelvis
10-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Hey Brian, way to go bro. Deer and moose on the loose. You hunters did real good.
Jelly -- Kamloops rocks -- next kamloops sheep or whaaaaaaaaaa? Good shootin and huntin.

moose2
10-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Nice moose guys congratulations on a good sounding hunt.
Mike

Steelpulse
10-08-2012, 01:18 AM
awesome looks like a great time out with the guys congrats

375 ultramag
10-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Congrats on your moose, and welcome to the ever addicting joy of big game hunting.

kennyj
10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Congratulations on your first moose. Sounds like a great trip.
kenny

brig
10-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys, This trip was one we'll all remember for a while! I knew that moose were a lot bigger than deer, but it was amazing to actually see them side by side and see the difference in the amount of meat on a moose! Looking forward to trying our first moose steaks!