PDA

View Full Version : sheep hunting

mikek blacktail
11-27-2006, 11:32 AM
I was thinking about trying sheep hunting next season in region three around clinton or cache creek.I was wondering if anyone could help me with some info about these areas.This is the first time I've thought about sheep hunting so I'm new to hunting the species.Are the sheep in region three california big horn or rocky mountain bighorn.
When is the rut.
Where are they located in this region.
Will they stay in the same general area from may to november
any info would help I'm going to do some scouting trips next year so if anyone could point me the right way that would be greatly appreciated.
THANKS

bighornbob
11-28-2006, 11:17 AM
If your interested in sheep hunting, welcome to the biggest bunch of liars there are:lol:

First off no real sheep person will point you in the right direction thats just the way we are.

Now back to your questions. The sheep in the cash creek clinton area are californias. There are rockies and they are located in the spences bridge area. Basically all of 3-17 is classified as Rocky country even though they are probably more calis near cash creek then Rockies.

The rut is usually in the first week of November/ give or take a week. Season closes on Oct. 20 so you wont be hunting the rut. The rams might be closer to the ewes but they will not be chasing yet.

The sheep can be found any where in the area you are looking at. I have seen sheep in sheepy looking areas and others times have not. Then you see them in a field with some cows another time.

The sheep will move quite a bit from May to November. I heard of a study in the area where they collared a ewe with a GPS collar to track her movements. They put it on when she was on the winter grounds. They went back later in the summer and looked for her in the summer ranges. but they could not find her. They went back to the winter range and found her. When they got the collar off and looked at the data the sheep actually went up to the summer range and back to the winter range a few times that summer. It took her only a few days to do it.

For a new sheep hunter I would reccomend getting the book Return to Royalty at Chapters. It is a fantastic sheep book and its only 7.99. Beats the 50 I paid for it when it first came out.

PM if you want some more info besides where to go:)

BHB

Orangethunder
11-28-2006, 11:29 AM
The last post was about as accurate as any sheep hunter can put it. Here are my 2 cents: get your hands on some good maps of the area you plan to hunt, do lots and lots of scouting and get to know the area, invest twice as much as you can afford on optics if not more, be in really good shape, learn to enjoy cactus thorns and plan on seeing lots of hunters. And one other thing, hunt with a guy that has already killed lots of BIG sheep so the first legal ram (if you find one) isn't big enough for him. Good luck.

mikek blacktail
11-28-2006, 01:57 PM
thanks I don't want anyones secret spots ,i'm going up to do some scouting next summer I hunted up that way just after the season for sheep closed I was looking for deer but spotted ahuge ram with a ewe I'm know sheep expert but he was past a full curl and it got me interested.so next year i'm going to try for a ram.

NightOwl74
11-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Interesting. But one question, what's the meat taste like? Is it comparable, to, say, a whitetail in September?:|

Deaddog
11-28-2006, 02:26 PM
sheep meat.............no not comparable to white tail.......... MUCH BETTER8)

Stone Sheep Steve
11-28-2006, 02:30 PM
There was a BIG Cali poached out of a farmer's field near Clinton this fall. The farmer found the ram dead in his field and reported it but by the time the CO's arrived someone had snuck in and cut the head off. I wish I had the pic of the ram on my computer as the CO in the area had live pics of the ram and the farmer recognized the ram. He was WELL above the bridge of his nose on one side and above the bridge on the other.

Ba$tard!

SSS

Gateholio
11-28-2006, 02:42 PM
There was a BIG Cali poached out of a farmer's field near Clinton this fall. The farmer found the ram dead in his field and reported it but by the time the CO's arrived someone had snuck in and cut the head off. I wish I had the pic of the ram on my computer as the CO in the area had live pics of the ram and the farmer recognized the ram. He was WELL above the bridge of his nose on one side and above the bridge on the other.

Ba$tard!

SSS

Was this wihtin the last 2 months?

mikek blacktail
11-28-2006, 05:07 PM

Ba$tard!

SSS
what part of clinton was it found,
i wish for once you could hear about a shot poacher instead of the animal he shoots.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
I just requested more details from my taxidermist about the sheep(he couldn't rmember offhand) but he doesn't get to his computer very often. I'll post the info when I know more.
The source email was from C.O. Bob Butcher if my memory serves me correct. If anyone knows him it may be faster to get the info that way.

SSS

Maxx
11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
I just requested more details from my taxidermist about the sheep(he couldn't rmember offhand) but he doesn't get to his computer very often. I'll post the info when I know more.
The source email was from C.O. Bob Butcher if my memory serves me correct. If anyone knows him it may be faster to get the info that way.

SSS

Hmmm, A CO that is called Bob "the" Butcher?:|

Stone Sheep Steve
11-29-2006, 02:00 PM
I think it was Mr. Butcher that wrote a great article in the last WSSBC mag about the illegal rams shot in Reg 3. "Lack of Dilligence" I believe it was called:confused: . I'll try to get the article and permission to reprint it here. Good read for anyone wanting to chase sheep in Reg 3.

SSS

tomigunz
11-29-2006, 02:30 PM
I seen a huge ram in a farmers field just past the loon lake turn off on the highway! He was a guarnteed full curl. That beast has got me thinking about tryin next season too.

270WIN
11-29-2006, 02:32 PM
I seen a huge ram in a farmers field just past the loon lake turn off on the highway! He was a guarnteed full curl. That beast has got me thinking about tryin next season too.

YA i seen a big ram up that way to back in aug and my buddie seen him again second week sept

mainland hunter
11-29-2006, 04:20 PM
diddo here. saw a nice full curl ram in a field of cattle just off the highway south of clinton

GoatGuy
11-29-2006, 04:46 PM
And one other thing, hunt with a guy that has already killed lots of BIG sheep so the first legal ram (if you find one) isn't big enough for him.

:lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

BCrams
11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
:lol::lol: :lol:

He's laughing because that is exactly what he did for himself and is virtually 'guided'.

GoatGuy
11-29-2006, 04:58 PM
He's laughing because that is exactly what he did for himself and is virtually 'guided'.

What do you mean virtually guided? I have no idea what you're talking about. I only thought it's a good idea - not necessarilly so you can shoot the first legal ram BUT the fact that you're probably good see some dandy rams that you're buddy will pass up. From there it's a matter of finding what you like!

Going with someone experienced certainly puts you years ahead of any newbie.

BCrams
11-29-2006, 05:01 PM
Going with someone experienced certainly puts you years ahead of any newbie.

No argument there as I am sure some hunters can relate to that!! I guess some sheep hunters really wished they could have the benefit of learning sometimes from someone who is experienced. Particularly when it comes to bighorns in the Kootenays! They're tough critters to hunt without invested time........So in theory - if a bighorn hunter who knows his stuff takes a guy or two under his wing ...... that would be quite advantageous wouldn't you agree ???

Some of us learn the hard / long way by trial and error !!

GoatGuy
11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
No argument there as I am sure some hunters can relate to that!! I guess some sheep hunters really wished they could have the benefit of learning sometimes from someone who is experienced. Particularly when it comes to bighorns in the Kootenays! They're tough critters to hunt without invested time........So in theory - if a bighorn hunter who knows his stuff takes a guy or two under his wing ...... that would be quite advantageous wouldn't you agree ???

Some of us learn the hard / long way by trial and error !!

I agree 100%!!!!!:lol: :lol:

No doubt makes it easier, and you also get to learn A LOT!

It'd also be quite advantageous if that bighorn hunter was also a pretty decent cali/stone hunter.:|

BCrams
11-29-2006, 05:24 PM
It'd also be quite advantageous if that bighorn hunter was also a pretty decent cali/stone hunter.:|

No kidding. I'd give my left nut to start off hunting with someone like that.

WoodOx
11-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Does sheep hunting - stones, calis, and rockies - differ that much? Yes the terrain differs, but once you know the areas, the stalks and animal behaviour is much the same isit not?

Fisher-Dude
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
No kidding. I'd give my left nut to start off hunting with someone like that.

Did dana already get yer right one? :rolleyes:

BCrams
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Did dana already get yer right one? :rolleyes:

Nope. I have his. He and his boys needed me for glassing. :mrgreen:

brno375
11-29-2006, 10:20 PM
No argument there as I am sure some hunters can relate to that! I sure can.

I wish I had someone to show me the ropes when I first started hunting.

bighornbob
11-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Does sheep hunting - stones, calis, and rockies - differ that much? Yes the terrain differs, but once you know the areas, the stalks and animal behaviour is much the same isit not?

This is somewhat true. The terrain is different and so are some of the animals. For the most part stones tend to bed in the open as alot of them live in the open most of the time. You always see pics of stones bedded in the open. This is not always the case as they head to the buck brush and timber too.

The rockies and the calis are usually in more timbered areas and I have noticed that they usually bed some where near it or right in there. I have seldom seen a Rocky bed in the open. Meaning that you have to glass them when they are feeding in the morning and evening becuase during the day they may be bedded in the timber. They will also feed in the open timber which makes spotting tough. I glassed the same slope once for an hour becuase There was sheep there the night before. I could not find one of them, I thought they had left the country, when all of a sudden there are 6 rams feeding in the open. They were feeding the whole time just that there was a tree blocking each one of them. 10 minities later they were out of sight again.

BHB

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 10:17 AM
For the most part stones tend to bed in the open as alot of them live in the open most of the time. You always see pics of stones bedded in the open. This is not always the case as they head to the buck brush and timber too.

Stones do bed in the open but sometimes that might be in rock or shale which makes them harder to spot. Glass early, early morning and evening when they are up and about.

Once they've bedded down in the rocks it takes a well trained eye to pick them out. I've glassed areas for hours only to have my Dad come along, throw his glasses up and spot sheep within a few minutes.

Can't wait to chase them next year!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Carl
How did your hunt go this year? I can't remember reading a report.

SSS

bigwhiteys
11-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Brent,

I posted the story on my personal site. Saw over 60 rams, 9 of which were legal but nothing in my range (40" or 10+ years old) We saw 1 ram of this caliber (my dad figured 42") but he was run off the mountain by two hunters who shot smaller rams out of his band. (They apparently didn't know the big one was there) We were watching them skin the two smaller ones through spotting scopes.

He was a beautiful ram but the timing just wasn't right. Back next year!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Fisher-Dude
11-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Nope. I have his. He and his boys needed me for glassing. :mrgreen:

Don't tell me now that he figures that he's "not much of a hunter" because he uses 30 year old Tascos instead of good optics? :confused:

MichelD
11-30-2006, 12:07 PM
I have to say that when I got my draw for region 8 this year that I had lots of advice from folks here and the other BC hunting board. Some people were really generous with their time and information.

I learned a lot and saw lots of sheep, but never did get a crack at a legal ram.

Canthuntenuff
11-30-2006, 01:10 PM
Interesting. But one question, what's the meat taste like? Is it comparable, to, say, a whitetail in September?:|

No one will ever give you better tasting meat..I am pretty convinced it has a lot to do with what it took to get it. In the hierarchy of sharing game meat I have met very few that will share their sheep..Also considering they are all guts and nuts you don't have that much meat to start with and a lot of guys tend to spoil the meat by firing repeated shots to anchor him.

BCrams
12-02-2006, 06:35 PM
bigwhiteys -

thought you did not go sheep hunting this year because of the little addition to your family?

Shaunw1662
10-14-2019, 12:37 AM
Got the special sheep leh anyone care to share any info

northof49
10-14-2019, 06:51 AM
Curly horns

SemperAurum
10-14-2019, 08:48 AM
I saw 3 legal rams just yesterday. Not sure if they would be in your special zone. I would gladly share the location with you before one of the local keepers of the land shoots them all. Just pm me

bighornbob
10-14-2019, 10:12 AM
What area are you hunting?

Shaunw1662
10-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Hey thanks but mine is for next year just seeing if anyone wants to disclose some info on wintering-slash breeding grounds

Shaunw1662
10-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Hey thanks bud but it's for 2020 just doing my homework now

twoSevenO
10-15-2019, 10:26 AM
so does anyone have numbers on how many sheep get killed in reg 3 during the GOS?

Just curious on the number.

J_T
10-15-2019, 12:04 PM
so does anyone have numbers on how many sheep get killed in reg 3 during the GOS?

If I'm analyzing my search correctly, looks like for all of region 3:
From 2007 - 2017,
approximately 150 - 190 resident hunters,
hunted an average of 1000 days,
and harvested between 15 and 35 animals

Guides
approximately 6 hunters annually
An average of 60 hunter days
Harvested between 2 and 6 animals.

Definitely possible I didn't get that totally correct. Don't hurt me.

HighCountryBC
10-15-2019, 10:23 PM

Yes. Touch base with the R3 Bio.