PDA

View Full Version : Coyote behaviour/noobie ethics question

Davy Crockett
10-07-2012, 10:41 AM
I was hunting near Logan lake yesterday with my daughter and we watched a pack of coyotes chase a big mulie buck almost right up into where we were sitting. The buck and the pack ran into some dense brush about 50 yards from where we were sitting so we couldn't see what happened next but I didn't hear the pack take him down.

One of the coyotes, a big bugger, stayed at the edge of the bush and just howled non-stop. Even when we walked out and he could see us he still didn't run away. We walked right up on him and he didn't run away until we were about 50 feet away. Then he ran into the bush but kept howling and didn't leave. I followed him into the bush for a bit but my daughter was too scared to go much farther thinking the pack was going to jump out and get her :-D. I didn't see any signs of a kill but as soon as we moved out of the bush he came back out and kept howling.

Not having seen a lot of coyote behavior other than here in the Fraser Valley (where they usually run like hell when they see humans) I'm not too sure what to make of it. Is this normal behavior?

The ethics question is, should I have dropped him? It was kind of cool to see nature in action and I have no use for a coyote but as a hunter is it the right thing to do to keep predator populations down?

My instinct is to let it go (other than the fact it was chasing one of the only two bucks I saw that day) unless I know there is a need, i.e. an overpopulation of predators I would just leave it to do it's thing. If I do shoot a coyote do I have to do anything with it or do you just leave them where you shoot them?

The Dude
10-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Posts like this make me sad.

s0ylentgreen
10-07-2012, 10:55 AM
absolutely you should have dropped the predator.
nuf said

Mr. Dean
10-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Synopsis has all your legal answers but seeing as how you asked, here's my interpretation:

Yotes are classified as being fur bearing, not schedule C. So as a Hunter, it's my opinion that you are legally obligated to jerk the pelt.
Different rules if you're protecting crop/livestock.

Davy Crockett
10-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Posts like this make me sad.

Do tell.

It's an honest question on my part. If I had all the answers already I wouldn't be asking. :-D

I didn't grow up hunting so what might seem obvious to some of you guys might not be to me.

Davy Crockett
10-07-2012, 11:07 AM
Synopsis has all your legal answers but seeing as how you asked, here's my interpretation:

Yotes are classified as being fur bearing, not schedule C. So as a Hunter, it's my opinion that you are legally obligated to jerk the pelt.
Different rules if you're protecting crop/livestock.

Thank you. That's what kind of what I thought.

phoenix
10-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Why didn't you shoot the buck if it was a big one? I would have shot it and all the coyotes I could have also. Alpha predator win!
Kim

Davy Crockett
10-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Wht didn't you shoot the buck if it was a big one? I would have shot it and all the coyotes I could have also. Alpha predator win!
Kim

No time. He was moving like a house on fire.

I only saw the ass end because one of the yotes busting out of the bush caught my eye.

My daughter who had a bit of a different vantage saw the rack.

r106
10-07-2012, 12:42 PM
the Helmer and Logan lake areas are over run with yotes. my hunting partner took 2 last time we were up there.and seen lots more. I took a shot at 1 but didn't hit it. You do have to take the fur. At night we could hear dozens of them from every direction. With the clear cuts there you will be doing the ungulate population a huge favor by taking a few dozen

Big Lew
10-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Actually, it's not that unusual behaviour....coyote packs are quite capable of, and do take down large animals such as deer, calves, and sheep. Even a lone large male will patiently harass a herbivore, hoping for a chance to slash or hamstring it. While several other HBC members and I were counting sheep this spring at Spences Bridge, we watched a large coyote harass a mature ram for at least a half hour.

olharley guy
10-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Howdy, personally I would have tried for them. Probably chasing bigger bucks because they all ready killed all of last years fawns. Later

Steelpulse
10-07-2012, 02:01 PM
incredibly jealous you saw this would be epic to see, I probably would have shot the coyotes but i think it comes down to what ever you want to do, not really should you or shouldn't you have shot the coyotes

huntwriter
10-07-2012, 02:41 PM
I was hunting near Logan lake yesterday with my daughter and we watched a pack of coyotes chase a big mulie buck almost right up into where we were sitting. The buck and the pack ran into some dense brush about 50 yards from where we were sitting so we couldn't see what happened next but I didn't hear the pack take him down.

One of the coyotes, a big bugger, stayed at the edge of the bush and just howled non-stop. Even when we walked out and he could see us he still didn't run away. We walked right up on him and he didn't run away until we were about 50 feet away. Then he ran into the bush but kept howling and didn't leave. I followed him into the bush for a bit but my daughter was too scared to go much farther thinking the pack was going to jump out and get her :-D. I didn't see any signs of a kill but as soon as we moved out of the bush he came back out and kept howling.

Not having seen a lot of coyote behavior other than here in the Fraser Valley (where they usually run like hell when they see humans) I'm not too sure what to make of it. Is this normal behavior?

It is normal behaviour, however, animal behaviourists are still at odds what the howling - mostly done by the alpha female - in this situation means. Some animal behaviourists are of the opinion that the howling is a way of announcing a hunt in progress to other family members (requesting help). Other animal behaviourists believe that the howling during and after a chase is meant as a warning to other coyote families in the area to stay away.

The ethics question is, should I have dropped him? It was kind of cool to see nature in action and I have no use for a coyote but as a hunter is it the right thing to do to keep predator populations down?

My instinct is to let it go (other than the fact it was chasing one of the only two bucks I saw that day) unless I know there is a need, i.e. an overpopulation of predators I would just leave it to do it's thing. If I do shoot a coyote do I have to do anything with it or do you just leave them where you shoot them?

In my opinion it really is not a question of ethics, but rather what you as a the hunter wants. Hunters and coyotes, as are other predators, are in direct competition with each other. Therefore many hunters would have shot the coyote, using "predator control" as an excuse. The fact of the matter is that coyotes, as are other predators, have every bit as much right to hunt as we do, and unless they are hopelessly over populated are not a real threat to other wildlife. You're very fortunate to have experienced this behaviour and witnessing nature at work. Animal behaviour is a fascinating study.

Darksith
10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I would have shot the coyote, but thats just me. If I see just 1 and Im deer hunting I'll usually let it walk, a pack however is a different story and Im looking to dispurse that pack as they are more of a threat running as a group.

BearStump
10-07-2012, 03:23 PM

Sounds like your daughter was right. Although a single coyote would most likely NOT go after a full grown man. A pack of 'em might. and as big and tough as I think I am, 1 or 2, maybe even 3 coyotes would'nt stand a chance against me. But a pack of 4 or more and you'd be screwed. Best to keep your distance and start shooting.

.330 Dakota
10-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Coyotes run in large packs in our area, had a pack run through our yard one night. I always try and cull them. Lots of cattle here and the local ranchers ask you to shoot as many as possible when hunting their land.

Big Lew
10-07-2012, 04:18 PM
'however, animal behaviourists are still at odds what the howling' - mostly done by the alpha female - in this situation means. Quoted from "huntwriter"....
There is a walking path through a forested area in my community that has at least one coyote family that is quite bold, used to humans, and will prey on domestic
cats and dogs. I have observed them trying for dogs being walked by the dog's owners. Several times I have observed the male howling or yapping on a prominent mound prior to both his and his mate's attempt at attacking a small dog frolicking about off leash in the adjacent field near his den site. First of all, it's amazing how utterly ignorant the pet owners are, and secondly, it shows just how fearless and confident they are in their ability to secure a meal.

howa1500
10-07-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm NO coyote expert, but any time I see a pack larger than 6 coyotes.. that is a problem. Typically coyotes hunt in pairs and their packs are no bigger than 6-7 which includes their younger relatives.

Large packs 10+ can indicate inter-breeding with wolves or feral dogs... which is a BIG problem... I'm all for pack disruption. However ethics also dictate that you should be harvesting the pelt. There are many people who would gladly take the pelts from you.

Jagermeister
10-07-2012, 06:06 PM
My credo is; if the coyote is not booking it for the next county, then it is a dead coyote.
Reasoning: The more times a coyote approaches a human and shows no fear, the more likely it will be that coyote will eventually provoke an attack and lead the other pack members.
Next time you have the same type of encounter, stroke him. Your daughter was right to be fearful.
Just recently a coyote attacked a human who was on a bicycle on the Halston in Kamloops. Conservation hunted it down a dispatched it.

ruger#1
10-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Taylor mitchell was killed by a coyote or coywolf on Cape Breton Island. Never used to be coyote or coywolves back there in the eighties. Here is a song that she wrote. Just google Taylor Mitchell for the story on what happened. It was also on National Geographic. http://youtu.be/XDMtKTn_ajc

ruger#1
10-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Here is one of the stories. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/28/taylor-mitchell-singerson_n_337836.html

Mulehahn
10-07-2012, 07:54 PM
I personally would of shot the yote, but mostly for practice skinning. If you are a newbie, as the title suggests coyotes are a great way to learn to skin an animal. Although not the same as a deer, the skills are similar. And as far as I understand the rules you are required to take the hide back to your place of residence. After that what you do with is up to you. I used to like to keep the tails and get them tanned. Used to cost $12 dollars if I did the fleshing. I just liked them hanging them on stuff. One day when you get a hog mulie or a want a bear rug you will appreciate knowing how to use a caping knife and a coyote is a great way to learn.

Big Lew
10-07-2012, 08:09 PM
I used to do a lot of backpacking and exploring in the Interior and Cariboo late in the fall. Quite often I would come across large packs of up to 15-20 coyotes. Mount Fehr, northwest of the Tunkwa Lake area during the 60's was very bad, so was the vast area north and east of Jesmond Mountain. They sometimes were quite bold in trying to get my dog, coming within 30-40 yards on a couple of occasions. Never had to shoot any, but it was tempting.

gcreek
10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Never worry about shooting a cute little coyote, when the last human on earth expires there will be a coyote there to share him with the flies and ravens.

Long bow
10-07-2012, 08:48 PM
If you cant see em, there are to many...if you "Can" see em...there's way to many...make good shots..fall when hit targets...

Davey Crockett
10-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Do tell.

It's an honest question on my part. If I had all the answers already I wouldn't be asking. :-D

I didn't grow up hunting so what might seem obvious to some of you guys might not be to me.

Ahem... Not to derail but i think we have a case of copywrite infringement.

For the record, i would have shot.

ruger#1
10-07-2012, 09:14 PM
I know a few farmers in the Valley here that hate calving season. I have seen a few calves that were torn out of the heffer when being born. So you know what my answer is.

meesemoot
10-07-2012, 09:18 PM
You had an opportunity to show the pack that they should fear humans, but instead, you reinforced their lack of fear, and the next step for them is aggression. They are always testing their limits, looking for potential prey. The Taylor Mitchell incident showed what can happen. I think it is a hunter's responsibility to the general public to keep coyotes and wolves fearful of humans, and not try to get touchy-feely with them.

ruger#1
10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Coyote attack on film. Looks like the guy is playing with the yote. http://youtu.be/NqVE9qfg7yI

Jagermeister
10-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Here's the link to the Kamloops coyote incident.
http://www.cfjctv.com/story.php?id=10899

ruger#1
10-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Here is a National geo link. http://natgeotv.com/uk/killed-by-coyotes/about