PDA

View Full Version : Hunting with a vintage barrel/fixed choke

Aheny
10-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I have a USSR made Baikal IZ-27 O/U with fixed full and modified chokes. Is there any way to hunt with this without bulging the barrel?

bandit
10-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Definitely dont use steel through an older full choke. You should be safe with a non toxic like Tungsten Matrix... but you could buy a whole new gun for the price of a box of those!

Aheny
10-07-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah, its starting to look like another gun is in my future, although my wife is getting more and more annoyed... 3 guns and a safe so far, and counting LOL

Foxton Gundogs
10-08-2012, 01:29 AM
Yeah, its starting to look like another gun is in my future, although my wife is getting more and more annoyed... 3 guns and a safe so far, and counting LOL

ONLY 3:confused:
So young so innocent LOL

I do have a smokin deal on an unfired Winchester M120 wih chokes lol

deer nut
10-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Explain to her that they are "investments". Quality guns actually appreciate in value! :-D

Aheny
10-08-2012, 09:12 AM
ONLY 3:confused:
So young so innocent LOL

I do have a smokin geal on an unfired Winchester M120 wih chokes lol

Oh you know it, unfortunately, I just got my PAL a few months ago, so they are coming in a bit fast for her liking. i do like the investment line though LOL

Aheny
10-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, my safe has a nice new SA-08 synthetic living in it now. Seems to be just what I needed, I can shoot skeet, and birds no problem, for a reasonable price.

Went out to Boundary Bay afterwards, the 3 shot plug didnt seem to make it out of the store, so I used the Baikal, and tried bird hunting for the first time. Only got 1 shot off, but bagged my first duck!

Didnt want to risk hunting without the plug in the Weatherby.

pierogi
10-08-2012, 11:34 PM
There steel is the best you can get. Go to your gunsmith and have him open the full barrel to modified. This shootguns are made to last. Openning is about $80.00 per barrel. Russian shootguns are really solid

Aheny
10-09-2012, 12:06 AM
There steel is the best you can get. Go to your gunsmith and have him open the full barrel to modified. This shootguns are made to last. Openning is about $80.00 per barrel. Russian shootguns are really solid

No issue with the chrome lining?

whattheduck
10-09-2012, 09:07 PM
i have a 1962 Baikal side by side 12 gauge that has full and modified chokes, i have been shooting steel through it for 10 or 12 years now without any issue, i absolutely love the gun and i have killed 100's of ducks and geese with it. those old russian guns were made to last.

another option would be to buy a newer shotgun and sell your o/u to someone like me for cheap:-D:-D

wtd

Aheny
10-09-2012, 09:21 PM
i have a 1962 Baikal side by side 12 gauge that has full and modified chokes, i have been shooting steel through it for 10 or 12 years now without any issue, i absolutely love the gun and i have killed 100's of ducks and geese with it. those old russian guns were made to last.

another option would be to buy a newer shotgun and sell your o/u to someone like me for cheap:-D:-D

wtd

Thanks! Thats the best news possible. I did buy a newer semi, but there is something about the O/U that has grown on me. I love owning things that cost way less and works as good as the rich arrogant guys stuff