PDA

View Full Version : 4 Free Days, Where Would You Go

BuckEye
10-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Based in the lower mainland and have a few free days off this next week. Thinking of going for a short deer trip in the camper some where between here and Kamloops. I'll be solo so don't want to get too far off the beaten path. I have a side by side to get around on.
I have a friend who will be at Roche lake fishing during the same period, but he didn't think there was much for hunting close to there. Is he wrong? I was thinking of using as a base so I'd have some company. Any info appreciated and open to suggestions. I like going to new areas and starting to explore. pm's fine too.
this will likely be my not so big, big trip of the season.

beni
10-06-2012, 10:39 PM
I was in one part of Roche last year late season and saw some pretty decent looking tracks, I have heard of Whitetails in the area. Though I can't say i've seen one. Lots of mulie does though, gotta be bucks somewhere there.

There is one spot i'd like to spend some time, and that's Monk Park (up on top, and you can come out over near Helmer) Also WT's in the Helmer area off the Coq. Got a backroads map book? There are also many areas you can check out in the Lac Le Jeune area

Good luck!

Steelpulse
10-06-2012, 11:50 PM
anywhere in the 3-20, 3-19 area use google earth find logging roads that lead to the bush drive them walk all the fsr's see where they lead too, you'll find deer. the back roads map book beni ^ speaks of is a great resource as well good luck happy hunting

Darksith
10-07-2012, 08:37 AM
don't goto roche lake, there is simply too much private and no hunting in that exact place. You could be close to that area and have great hunting though, but its too much of a drive every morning if ur using roche as base camp. If you wanna stay in that area then stump lake area is good. I would say goto helmer though. Its got lots of deer, there will be some big boys in there, and you will have a chance at an immy moose. The area is good if you are camping in there. The deer come out just before dark, so you will want to be watching cut lines at that time.

BuckEye
10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys, that's the info I was looking for. Google sat maps are great but don't show fences and private property signs. I'm going to do a little research on the areas suggested and see where I will head. Lots of time for fishing during other times of the year. Now off to pack up the camper.

BuckEye
10-08-2012, 11:29 AM
ANy tips on a good spot to camp and make a base at helmer. Forest service camp area or otherwise. Company is ok.
Thanks