PDA

View Full Version : Two region 6 Moose

Dad and son
11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
My brother and I were in region 6 in October. On day one, my brother saw 2 or 3 cow/calf pairs and I saw nothing. That night as my brother drove home in the dark on the quad he drove within 20 feet of a bull/cow pair. He told me that night get a good sleep as he was shooting a moose tomorrow. Well nothing happened in the morning. We came back to camp and ate lunch. I was going to relax a bit and start hunting around 3 as it was nice outside and sunny. He was eager to go so I drove him out to his hunting spot at about 1:30 so he could hunt with the quad. On the way out I got stuck and was playing with my new winch as I was in no hurry to start hunting. Just as I got myself out he showed up to tell me that he had shot a moose. The first clearing he got to he saw the antlers glistening in the sun. The bull with a cow nearby was taking an afternoon nap and was laying down. Not many moose are shot at 2 in the afternoon but he was a proud hunter. The next morning we were up as usual early in the morning. We started hunting at first light. Within the first 15 minutes of daylight we saw a bull standing in a clearcut about 300 yards off the road. I shot once and the bull dropped. I took off to make sure he was dead. I told my brother to stay by the truck and guide me. When I got to the spot, there was no moose and my brother was half way in the clearcut so he could not guide me. I guessed I had underestimated the location and went to the next hill another 100 yards away but still no moose. I was confused. I then went to where I thot the bull should be and realized I could not see the truck from where I was so the spot had to be wrong. I walked to a hill 50 yards closer to the truck and the moose was laying there stone dead. It had taken me a good 20 minutes to figure this out. The strange thing I found out later was that my one shot had hit him in the neck and killed him instantly.

Will
11-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Congrats......the only thing better then a downed Moose...
Is Two 8)

CanuckShooter
11-27-2006, 07:11 AM
lots of good eating there !

Undergrad
11-27-2006, 07:48 AM
wow , you could invite the whole forum over for a bbq hehehe. Some nice looking animals for the freezer :)

Byson
11-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Good Job I will only have memories of what Moose taste like this Winter

3kills
11-27-2006, 06:03 PM
byson i know how u feel :(....

good job DandS....