PDA

View Full Version : Whitetails - Pockets of them

skibum
10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
I have seen a few pockets of Whitetail deer along a road in a deep gulley that is close to an alfafa field, but just on reserve. This is basically at the bottom of a steep mountain that I have seen many mulies on in the past. I hunt the hillside which is just off of the reserve. (I might wander on reserve here and there but have never seen an indian in the area in 10 years)

Does anybody think that there might by some whitetails up the steep slopes, or will they stick down in their hiding spot close to the agriculture fields? From what I have read, they will stick to the fields.

Thanks in advance

Fella
10-05-2012, 11:19 AM
White tails usually stick to valley bottoms and agricultural fields from what I've been told.

rocksteady
10-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Whitetails like any other big game have 2 areas.. Feeding and bedding...

Yes, whitetails tend to prefer teh alfalfa fields, because of the feed there, not teh flat ground. Muleys tend to be more of a forest eater, whereas whiteys really like agricultural grazing...

That being said, there is no reason why whiteys, that have fed all night in an alfalfa field will not go up steep hills to an area for bedding where they feel comfortable.

Cover the ground, read the sign, you know where the feeding zone is, now find the bedding/watering zone...

About 20 years ago I shot a WT buck at over 7000 feet, many miles away from agricultural crops, on steep ground, living with a big group of muley does...

Throw on the boots, cover the ground, read the sign, come up with a plan and then when you get it all figured out, execute the plan and shoot one.... Typical hunting strategy...

lovemywinchester
10-05-2012, 12:38 PM
I hunt areas around Kamloops with limited crops, there are hay fields, but lots of grasslands. I've had some luck with the WT in the last few years and they have all been lower in the valley than where the mulies are expected to be. The funny thing is when I checked my trail cams there were lots of mulie does where the wt bucks were. Not many wt does on cam though and no mulie bucks. Mainly just wt buck and mulie doe! Weird. I see the wt does when hiking around in the same areas so they are there.
In my areas I assume like you that the mulies are up and the wt lower. I talked to a cool older guy just after opener when hiking north of Kamloops and we talked about this. He has been hunting the area for over 35 years and when I told him I was looking for WT he pointed up a mountian and said "If you want big WT go up top on that mountain, we have taken some big ones there over the years". I was really surprised because its prime looking mulie country and way up there but thats where they hunt wt. I shed hunted up there and never found a wt shed. I in fact have never found a wt shed with all my hiking so they drop in the thickest crap you can find.
It seems to me that the WT go where they want and you should expect to run into one anywhere, high or low. Hope that helps confuse you even more. One thing I hear from wt hunters in reg 3 is if you see a buck kill it because you may never see another in the season. Good luck.

trapperRick
10-05-2012, 02:05 PM
The big WT bucks will be high until the Rut then they go looking for the girls

250 sav
10-07-2012, 10:31 PM
I shot most of my region 3 whitetails at 3500-4000' elevation in oct. and early nov.

The Dude
10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
About 20 years ago I shot a WT buck at over 7000 feet, many miles away from agricultural crops, on steep ground, living with a big group of muley does...

That's a pretty damn good shot! Wow!
:D

grizzlydown
10-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I am up the White Swan right now and we are seeing most of the Whitetails between 4200-5200 feet in elevation. I was expecting Mulies where we are hunting and have not seen one yet. A lot of Whitetail does and fawns.

rocksteady
10-08-2012, 04:34 PM
That's a pretty damn good shot! Wow!
:D

Bite me Dude.:twisted::wink:. you know what i Meant....