PDA

View Full Version : Blast from the past part 2

Kirby
10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Decided it was time to fill the freezer(or at least a portion of it) and with thoughts of an old friend I opened my gun cabinet and pulled out an old work horse given to me years ago. The hunt was virtually identical to the last time I shot a deer with it.

Was driving along to where I had planned to hike in for deer and came across a nice and tender mulie buck standing in a small openning about 75 yards out. Decided bird in hand and grabbed the rifle... but couldn't find the shells(realized they were at the bottom of my pack) so got out of the truck, grabbed my bag from the back, dug them out thinking about how the buck must be long gone. He was just feeding watching and waiting for me to get ready, so I fed a couple in to the mag and one up the pipe sure he'd bolt pretty soon. He stood facing me watching all the time (probably a couple of minutes from the begging until this point) but once I had him lined u he turned broadside took one step out from behind a small pine tree. First shot to the lungs, second to the head and he was done. Identical to the last time.

this mornings tender boy
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d72/Cr_mclean/303buck2_zps2933e0c7.jpg

Here is the first buck I took with it
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?16172-A-buck-for-an-old-friend&highlight=friend

Anybody in Kamloops who wants fresh Liver drop me a PM, Doug loved it, I hate it so it goes to somebody who wants it.

I could get use to this rifle thing, drive, shoot, load, I hadn't even finished my first cup of coffee!

Kirby

rocksteady
10-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Looks like a good eater...

Who says lightning does not strike twice in the same spot??? Had a vision of deja vu on this hunt by the looks of it.. Congrats...

skibum
10-05-2012, 11:15 AM
nice rifle - cool that you are using open sites

Jagermeister
10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Do you have the bayonet too?
Nice young deer too Kirby.

moose2
10-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Nice job on the buck Kirby he looks like a good one.
Mike

Stone Sheep Steve
10-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweet rifle Kirby!!!
Probably would have been a tad crunchy to use a bow anyhow.

Congrats on the fine eats!
I should go out and do the same.

SSS

Brez
10-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice and tasty! Very cool old 303?

new hunter
10-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Nice enfield .
Bought a sporterised no4mk1 this year , I'd love to gsome blood on it .
Nice deer too , looks near identical to the spike I got last year .
Just out of curiosity , whats the max range you'd shoot at game with youre enfield , and do you think it would be worth trashing the reciever to put a scope on one ?

Iltasyuko
10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Nice gun! Cool short story.

Gateholio
10-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Nice buck and cool full woody Enfield. They are actually worth a few bucks these days.

ufishifish2
10-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Good job Kirby. Come by the house next time you are around. I've got plenty of tags to spare if you run out.
Cheater! :)

TheProvider
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Nice to take out the old work horses every once in awhile. It'd be amazing to know how animals have been taken with the enfield rifles. I know quite a few guys who love hunting with them and alot just keep the iron sights

Deeboe
10-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Great story behind the rifle Kirby... good job.

rattling_junkie
10-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Nicely done Kirby. A great story and a memory that will last a life time.

BC_Viking
10-30-2012, 01:21 AM
WOW thats a nice Enfield and deer ! thank the gun gods that rifle was never chopped up and sporterized , i imagine many guys are kicking themselves in the ass now for chopping and drilling these guns .. Original they are worth $400-$600 sporterized they are worth $100-$200 .. Your rifle looks like my Aussie Lithgow ? or is yours British made?