PDA

View Full Version : Found your Trail Cam - Red Creek

ravensfoot
10-04-2012, 09:49 AM
I was up in the Red Creek area pre-scouting for moose in one of my favorite little hideaways off the beaten path and as I came into the sweet spot I noticed something through the trees. A bucket attached to the top of a small pine. WTF? this wasn't here last time. I turn and see a trail cam pointed directly too the bucket in the tree. Hmmm. Well, I'll leave that alone. Good spot. I'm curious, if this is your cam, would you mind sending me a snap or two? you can PM me with any photos you'd like to share.

http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/IMG_0013sm.jpg
http://www.ravensfoot.com/hunting/pics/IMG_0014sm.jpg

Whonnock Boy
10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
What's in the bucket?

Wrayzer
10-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Damn, an area name, photos of a camera, feed spot and of the surrounding area...I'd be a little upset to come across this thread if it were mine.

Hope its well hidden away from any roads...and Google Earth.

Brez
10-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Oh, and can you send me any pics of the best animals you have on film? ..................WTF??

Damn, an area name, photos of a camera, feed spot and of the surrounding area...I'd be a little upset to come across this thread if it were mine.

dino
10-04-2012, 12:44 PM

why? I'd do the same thing as ravensfoot, I think it would be great share info on a spot the only both of you know about. A new friendship and hunting buddy could happen.
Hope you get contacted ravensfoot.

Duidery
10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
Agreed. I think its better that ravensfoot asked for pics rather than stealing the camera. He obviously knows the area so why not share some pics? Its not like he posted a GPS coordinate and map advertising the location. If it was camera, I would share.

why? I'd do the same thing as ravensfoot, I think it would be great share info on a spot the only both of you know about. A new friendship and hunting buddy could happen.
Hope you get contacted ravensfoot.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Those cameras carry the SD mini's, same as most smart phones. Pop out the card, browse it on your phone and pop it back into the trail camera. I don't get reception in the bush but I carry mine specifically to browse my trail cam photos. And if I run across a camera that isn't mine as long as its not pad locked I'll browse other people's cams. Just make sure you put everything back intact and working. If your not a tech savy person, then maybe avoid this since you might bugger something up.

moose2
10-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't think I would post pictures and location of a found camera myself. It could give away my spot as well as the camera's owner. On the other hand hanging a camera on crown land and making it so obvious is just asking for some one to find it. The next guy that finds it may not leave it alone as ravensfoot did. I try to keep my camera locations a bit more discreet. I like to carry in my bait with a pack instead of with a quad. If I am walking in snow I will approach the camera site on different trails to make the tracks a little less obvious. You don't hear of many cameras 2 km into the bush that go missing. The ones I have heard about have been fence lines, and beside roads and quad trails.
Mike

bucka
10-04-2012, 02:04 PM
If it's not mine...I don't touch it.

RVB
10-04-2012, 02:30 PM
Same here...I've never touched anyone else's cams. Wouldn't want anyone touching mine either.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I'd rather they touch mine and have a look then steal them. Take your pick their are 3 options, middle ground leaves more cameras in place doing their job in active areas. I'm personally tired of replaced 1 of my 4 cameras each year.

Ovis17
10-04-2012, 03:06 PM
If it's not mine...I don't touch it.

Amen........

J-Man
10-04-2012, 03:14 PM
To each their own, I'm just being honest. I've never stolen a camera (though I've lost 3 myself) but if its unlocked and I'm not in a hurry I will browse your photos, assuming I have my phone on me.

KB90
10-04-2012, 03:16 PM
I always carry a camera so I'd look at someone else's pictures. What's it going to hurt? Would you prefer I set up my camera beside yours? I'm already hunting the same area.

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 03:42 PM
i would rather someone check my camera than take it or knock it off the tree. man this year one of my cams was knocked off the tree and broken. would have sure been nice if the guy didnt break my cam but whatever, i still havnt had one stolen. whats the difference if someone checks a cam in the area they hunt or just walk by.. if you dont vandalize it i'm fine with that. although i wouldnt have posted the pics of that spot online.

ruger#1
10-04-2012, 03:48 PM
To each their own, I'm just being honest. I've never stolen a camera (though I've lost 3 myself) but if its unlocked and I'm not in a hurry I will browse your photos, assuming I have my phone on me. Would you go through someones vehical if it was unlocked. That is someones personal information and not yours. Being honest would be leaving it alone!

The Hermit
10-04-2012, 04:20 PM
My old dad always said that almost all the problems in the world would disappear if only people would respect and treat other people stuff at least as well as if it were their own. I would'nt touch anyone elses camera and wouldn't want anyone else to touch mine... now possing for a couple funny pictures ...

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 04:30 PM
My old dad always said that almost all the problems in the world would disappear if only people would respect and treat other people stuff at least as well as if it were their own. I would'nt touch anyone elses camera and wouldn't want anyone else to touch mine... now possing for a couple funny pictures ...

i just expect someone to steal my cam so if they just looked at the pictures i would thank them for not stealing it.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Would you go through someones vehical if it was unlocked. That is someones personal information and not yours. Being honest would be leaving it alone!

No but I would browse an unlocked trail cam to see whats around since I'm already hunting the area. And if I'm walking the woods with my phone it would mean I also have cameras in the area. I'm not out actively looking for cameras to browse. Any more scenarios? Someone needs to throw in a tree stand/blind/wife left at home one.

Also a person's "reasonable expectation of privacy" runs out when you leave it unlocked and sitting in the woods.

Whonnock Boy
10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Would you go through someones vehical if it was unlocked. That is someones personal information and not yours. Being honest would be leaving it alone!
Respectfully, I have to say you are comparing apples and oranges here. To some extent, a persons privacy is being invaded when they walk in the path of a trail cam. What's good for the goose....

I have never checked any camera cards. Would I? Maybe. Would I feel that I am being unethical? No.

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
No but I would browse an unlocked trail cam to see whats around since I'm already hunting the area. And if I'm walking the woods with my phone it would mean I also have cameras in the area. I'm not out actively looking for cameras to browse. Any more scenarios? Someone needs to throw in a tree stand/blind/wife left at home one.

Also a person's "reasonable expectation of privacy" runs out when you leave it unlocked and sitting in the woods.
i agree with you. i wouldnt label you a dishonest person because you checked someones tcam. heres a scenario for you guys who think hes being dishonest, and make up a completely different circumstance . you are out hiking in a remote area and find someones pack. you dont open the pack but you put it on your gps so you can find it later if no one comes back for it. a couple weeks later you come back and find the pack still there, anybody with some common sense would pack it out and look in it to see if they can find something to locate the owner with. mabey theres a wallet in it or hunting license and you just helped someone get his pack back with possibly hundreds of dollars worth of gear in it. or since your so honest and dont want to snoop around other people things you just leave it there.

ruger#1
10-04-2012, 05:24 PM
i agree with you. i wouldnt label you a dishonest person because you checked someones tcam. heres a scenario for you guys who think hes being dishonest, and make up a completely different circumstance . you are out hiking in a remote area and find someones pack. you dont open the pack but you put it on your gps so you can find it later if no one comes back for it. a couple weeks later you come back and find the pack still there, anybody with some common sense would pack it out and look in it to see if they can find something to locate the owner with. mabey theres a wallet in it or hunting license and you just helped someone get his pack back with possibly hundreds of dollars worth of gear in it. or since your so honest and dont want to snoop around other people things you just leave it there. Realy good post here. Lets see the pack was lost and the trail cam was put in the tree for someones use. Aparently if it is not locked then it is for all the public to snoop through. It is called respect for personal property. Even if it isnt locked.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Now your assuming the guy who lost his pack hasn't lost his trail cam.

I had this exact scenario in Vanderhoof went out to one of spots, start my walk to a swamp on the way I ended up spotting a trail cam. Noticed the batteries are dead, still browsed the photos, but left the cam. The first photo on the card is a couple shots of a chubby guy in camo and glasses. I go out 3 days later, camera still sitting their batteries still dead. Ok now maybe someone has lost it, still I leave it. Back I go to our camp which is one of those camp ground spots. Usually 4 camps plus ours their at least. I ask if anyone was putting up trail cams and lost one, nope no one. I then go on to explain what the guys looks like and someone recognizes him as a member of their party that left the day before I arrived, skunked. Next trip out I pick up the camera bring it back, I show them the first photos. Yep sure enough that's their buddy and he got his lost camera back. If I wasn't checking pics I wouldn't have known the batteries were dead, and I wouldn't have known what the owner looks like. And he wouldn't have recovered his $150 camera.

Either way your not going to agree with me, I'm not going to agree with you.

if only people would respect and treat other people stuff at least as well as if it were their own
And I guess that is why if someone wants to check one of my cameras I'm fine with it. And that is why I from time to time check cameras I find. I'm treating other people's tcam just like I expect mine to be treated.

ruger#1
10-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Now your assuming the guy who lost his pack hasn't lost his trail cam.

I had this exact scenario in Vanderhoof went out to one of spots, start my walk to a swamp on the way I ended up spotting a trail cam. Noticed the batteries are dead, still browsed the photos, but left the cam. The first photo on the card is a couple shots of a chubby guy in camo and glasses. I go out 3 days later, camera still sitting their batteries still dead. Ok now maybe someone has lost it, still I leave it. Back I go to our camp which is one of those camp ground spots. Usually 4 camps plus ours their at least. I ask if anyone was putting up trail cams and lost one, nope no one. I then go on to explain what the guys looks like and someone recognizes him as a member of their party that left the day before I arrived, skunked. Next trip out I pick up the camera bring it back, I show them the first photos. Yep sure enough that's their buddy and he got his lost camera back. If I wasn't checking pics I wouldn't have known the batteries were dead, and I wouldn't have known what the owner looks like. And he wouldn't have recovered his $150 camera.

Either way your not going to agree with me, I'm not going to agree with you.

And I guess that is why if someone wants to check one of my cameras I'm fine with it. And that is why I from time to time check cameras I find. I'm treating other people's tcam just like I expect mine to be treated. Lost or forgot it there?

J-Man
10-04-2012, 05:59 PM
They live in Surrey/Langley area so not sure if it was lost or forgotten but they only come up for the calf/imature season. So it was going to be there until next year at least. And I'm under the assumption the buddy of his I gave it to returned it.

ruger#1
10-04-2012, 06:14 PM
Good deal , Glad he got his camera back.

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Realy good post here. Lets see the pack was lost and the trail cam was put in the tree for someones use. Aparently if it is not locked then it is for all the public to snoop through. It is called respect for personal property. Even if it isnt locked.

so you can relate something that does not compare to the topic but when i say something that is unrelated you are shocked? good reasoning behind how you think. its not snooping through someones belongings checking someones trail cam picture. unless you believe you own the rights to the animals walking down the trails. i would never go through someones truck but if i found a tcam in an area i have hunted hard and wanted to look at the pics i wouldnt hesitate.. i have also been taught not to do things i wouldnt want others to do to me. i set my cams up in some prety rugged hard to access areas and if you find one good on you. i wouldnt mind in the least if you had a look. i dont set a camera in the bush expecting people to leave it alone.

steepNdeep
10-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Some f'er stole my trail cam. It ain't exactly personal property leaving it on public land, but a stand-up guy would respect it & not steal it. I'd be happy if they would have just looked at teh pics & left it there...

ruger#1
10-04-2012, 06:45 PM
so you can relate something that does not compare to the topic but when i say something that is unrelated you are shocked? good reasoning behind how you think. its not snooping through someones belongings checking someones trail cam picture. unless you believe you own the rights to the animals walking down the trails. i would never go through someones truck but if i found a tcam in an area i have hunted hard and wanted to look at the pics i wouldnt hesitate.. i have also been taught not to do things i wouldnt want others to do to me. i set my cams up in some prety rugged hard to access areas and if you find one good on you. i wouldnt mind in the least if you had a look. i dont set a camera in the bush expecting people to leave it alone. Not realy shocked. Dont realy care either. But if for some reason you are snooping in someones trail cam, And they come along very pissed and wanting to fight . Then you should just stand there and take it like a man. Then show us the trail cam pics later.

TheProvider
10-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Hopefully its off the beaten bath. Very noticeable setup for a cam thief

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Not realy shocked. Dont realy care either. But if for some reason you are snooping in someones trail cam, And they come along very pissed and wanting to fight . Then you should just stand there and take it like a man. Then show us the trail cam pics later.

if they lose it that easily then bring it on! i would not be backing down! as i know where i stand on the issue and you or anyone else will not be changing my mind. nothing like a nice relaxing day of hunting.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 07:23 PM
My wife was browsing over my shoulder. She says I'm nosey and always doing things that are inappropriate so it doesn't surprise her. So I guess there we have it.

Darksith
10-04-2012, 07:24 PM
This is a great thread, and I doubt anyone is gonna change their mind on whether they would browse someones camera, but lets say I walk up on someone playing with my camera, at the very least Im gonna have some harsh words for that person that appears to have been caught red handed messing with ( I could assume they were about to steal it) then the fight might just be on. Yeah its on public land, but the odds are much better that the other person will screw something up and the cam won't be aimed properly, maybe left off, or put to aim not on and I get no more pics. If you think that a t cam is lost or forgotten about because you see it a few days in a row or even a few weeks think again...my cameras will last an entire year on the batteries, the SD card will hold over 10k pictures and I will leave them out for months (last round was 3 months in duration) so please don't touch my cameras at the very least, I won't touch yours...that being said I might give you a full moon to look at or something as a laugh, but I won't touch it, not even to look at the pics...if I wanted pics in that area I would have a cam there myself.

Also the person that hung the cam is gonna get it taken by someone that isn't as decent making it that obvious...never leave a cam where theres a chance that someone could be walking behind you, or thats my philosophy anyway.

J-Man
10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
my cameras will last an entire year on the batteries,

Your talking about one of those external stealth boxes right? Not some super duper D cells.

hunter1993ap
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
This is a great thread, and I doubt anyone is gonna change their mind on whether they would browse someones camera, but lets say I walk up on someone playing with my camera, at the very least Im gonna have some harsh words for that person that appears to have been caught red handed messing with ( I could assume they were about to steal it) then the fight might just be on. Yeah its on public land, but the odds are much better that the other person will screw something up and the cam won't be aimed properly, maybe left off, or put to aim not on and I get no more pics. If you think that a t cam is lost or forgotten about because you see it a few days in a row or even a few weeks think again...my cameras will last an entire year on the batteries, the SD card will hold over 10k pictures and I will leave them out for months (last round was 3 months in duration) so please don't touch my cameras at the very least, I won't touch yours...that being said I might give you a full moon to look at or something as a laugh, but I won't touch it, not even to look at the pics...if I wanted pics in that area I would have a cam there myself.

Also the person that hung the cam is gonna get it taken by someone that isn't as decent making it that obvious...never leave a cam where theres a chance that someone could be walking behind you, or thats my philosophy anyway.

good answer. two weeks ago i checked one of my cams in a remote area and a respectfull hunter checked my cam and set it back the way it was. i can see why you guys are not happy with this happening and i was not impressed, but i wasnt angry. if i saw someone around my camera i wouldnt assume they were stealing it becasue its only held on by two small ropes and would take 5 seconds to cut down.

OutWest
10-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Not realy shocked. Dont realy care either. But if for some reason you are snooping in someones trail cam, And they come along very pissed and wanting to fight . Then you should just stand there and take it like a man. Then show us the trail cam pics later.

This is how I feel as well.

The camera isn't yours and neither are the pictures. If you want to see what's in the area then hang your own camera.

Darksith
10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Your talking about one of those external stealth boxes right? Not some super duper D cells.

No, my cams are moultrie, they take 6 C batteries and I only change the batteries once a year, unless I walk away with it on aim or something stupid, then its dead the next time I show up. (happened once) That just goes to show that its just that easy to mess it up if you are snooping in someone elses cam, if the cam owner can do it, so can a snooper

aggiehunter
10-04-2012, 09:04 PM
I think she should paint the 2x4 blaze orange.......

shottyshooter
10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
I vote for "if it ain't yours- don't touch it".

If it's still there next year, maybe it's lost, so see if you can cause it to be found by it's owner

MattTse
10-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah if it's not yours don't touch it, but trying I find the person who owns it to maybe find a hunting partner friend share stories is fine.

I had a camera up Harrison for 2 weeks. 100% battery life when I left it there. Went to get it. All I found was the camera was now at 50% and a picture of some guys crotch!! I've left the camera for a couple months and with only a few pics taken, the battery only dropped maybe 10%. I believe he took the card looked at it, then deleted all the pics with animals, but as he reinserted the card it snapped a pic of him!!! BUSTED!!! I was sooo mad!

JIL_24/7
10-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Was the crotch pantsed?

MattTse
10-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Lol yeah thank god there weren't any big nuggets in the pic

Fella
10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Might have gotten a pic of the elusive Fraser Valley Hairy Elephant

10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
lol,, Wow!

Ravensfoot, Did you find the guy?
What the hell was in the bucket!!??

ferget it im pm'ing you!

The Dude
10-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Holy derail!!!

I think it looks like soneone's trying to get pics of birds, Martens, Fishers, etc. It's pointing at a bucket of food over a Marsh.
Might be University property

Rubicon500
10-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Another twist to the situation , find trail cam , throw in pack , take it to the dump , cleaning up the bush from littering assholes lol on a serious note If I find a trail cam I'd like to take a shit in front of it and leave a note to see if its true or not , poo is candy for bears

mr.280
10-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Ya better get back up there before the 20th, This shot may have been in the same spot last year. LOL ! http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/frederick280/bigbulltrailcam2013.jpg

olympia
10-07-2012, 10:25 PM
maybe i should start leaving my trail cam for guys to open and download my pics, then you will be staring my nutbag in the face muuuhahahaha

birosj
10-08-2012, 08:18 AM
I like your idea's. I may view the pictures but probably would leave a pic of something. Maybe teabag it.
Just got a camera. Set it up for the night. Next morning checked the pics. Had over 700 pics of grass moving. Sensitivity up too high.
Live and learn.

Darksith
10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I like your idea's. I may view the pictures but probably would leave a pic of something. Maybe teabag it.
Just got a camera. Set it up for the night. Next morning checked the pics. Had over 700 pics of grass moving. Sensitivity up too high.
Live and learn.

It takes a while to figure out the proper set for a cam. I usually break the small aspen saplings so they aren't an issue, and try to get it on a tree that won't move too much if you have strong winds. Also remember to consider the suns plane.

Steve W
10-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I like to build a cubby around a TC. Similar to what a trapper uses fro setting a trap in. By enclosing the camera, especially the top and bottom, I get fewer trash photos. Most cameras have a really wide trigger zone too, so building the cubby also helps focus the area I get images from. For the cubby I like to use slabs of bark so the camera blends in better.

ravensfoot
10-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Wow, quite the flux of responses. I would have piped up sooner but I was out searching for more trail cams (haha just kidding) I was away on a separate trip. Just for the record, I felt pretty secure that not many other people know about this area, my description of "Red Creek" is vague enough that it doesn't give it away, no GPS coordinates were given. I found it with my son after doing hours of hiking in the bush last year. It is definitely OFF the beaten path. When I first found the area last year there was no sign of any other human ever being in the area. It is not easy to find and tucked way back. I'm assuming that is the reason the t-cam placer felt confident enough not to lock it up. Unfortunately for me, it was an area that I had been dreaming about for the last 12 months as it was a very hot rut pit and #1 on my list for my moose hunt this year. Imagine my disappointment when I found this on my pre-scout this year. The trail cam/bucket in my opinion has somewhat ruined this perfect moose rutting spot. But, that is just my opinion. Out of respect, I didn't touch the camera (even though I had my own I could have used to view the SD card) - I thought it would be better to ask, and that is what i did here. I didn't disturb the area, I didn't climb up to see what was in the bucket (even though it was quite strange and my curiosity almost got the better of me) I left it alone. I will be back up there in a week and will be checking on the spot again, and maybe this time ill leave a note for the t-camer to contact me. If he/she want's to share, it's up to them. My real hope is they get a snap of the nice moose getting shot right in that very spot when I pull the trigger.

Pioneerman
10-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I would not touch it, after all it is not mine. If I happened to be there with 4 feet of snow and it was still there, then maybe, but just maybe. I would not want others to move my stuff, nor go through my truck that is parked unlocked or not and if my atv is stuffed in the bush when off walking it is also not a invitation to snoop, again unless it is in the same spot when not accessible . Unless there is reports of missing person in the area then I can understand, but no other reason.

The Dude
10-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Good on ya Raven. If it ain't yours, don't touch it. Good luck this season.

ravensfoot
10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
I had a good laugh though, ironically it was me taking a photo of his/her trail cam, the watcher becomes the watchee.
I will be back and will report on my findings...

Sofa King
10-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I think she should paint the 2x4 blaze orange.......

:-Dit's not very well concealed is it?
i go out of my way to hide mine, mainly from people.

and it almost looks like it's maybe set up to capture pics of birds?
the bucket on the pole?

personally, i probably would have left a good moon for them.

Ambush
10-10-2012, 10:00 PM
The bucket on the pole is likely one of the several attractants available for attracting moose and deer. Nail it on top of a pole, higher then the animal can reach and add some water. Rain water will keep it activated.. It slowly dribbles down the pole making a big "candy cane" to keep them coming back.

Totally conspicuous set up. Not much of a hunter if it is a hunter. Or it's on private property and he doesn't expect visitors.

Sofa King
10-11-2012, 08:33 AM
The bucket on the pole is likely one of the several attractants available for attracting moose and deer. Nail it on top of a pole, higher then the animal can reach and add some water. Rain water will keep it activated.. It slowly dribbles down the pole making a big "candy cane" to keep them coming back.

Totally conspicuous set up. Not much of a hunter if it is a hunter. Or it's on private property and he doesn't expect visitors.

that makes sense. (what the bucket is)
i woulda never guessed that, as that's something i would never, ever do.
where's the fun in that?
but, some people don't like to hunt too hard i guess.
they'd prefer to walk to a spot and know that something is standing there waiting for them.
in this case, i probably would have went and peed on that pole. (away from the camera of course)