PDA

View Full Version : First (succesful) goat hunt (solo)

whitebirch
10-03-2012, 09:03 PM
headed out this past weekend to an area i've unsuccessfully hunted a few years back.
after three consecutive days of seriously steep hiking and a unsuccessful stalk I closed the distance on this billy.
aged 10+ years - he was broomed before I took him. managed to stalk to within 130 yards on the cliff luckily. after the second shot he didnt stay on the ledge I hoped he would and fell, banging his face up, unluckily.
definitely love goat hunting. my partner came to help me pack it out once I got it off the mountain (found out he hated cliffs). real big body - estimate close to 400 lbs.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/SAM_0569.jpg

he was on the close mountain, at the base of the sheer cliff, farthest left side (photo from where i glassed him)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/agaucher/SAM_0575.jpg

hunter1993ap
10-03-2012, 09:08 PM
wow to bad he broke his horns. thats a big fall but at least you got one. you didnt by chance happen to find the broken peices did you?

whitebirch
10-03-2012, 09:16 PM
he didnt actually break them - those are broomed. they were like that before i shot em.

hunter1993ap
10-03-2012, 09:19 PM
ah i guess i read that wrong, nice looking mountains by the way!

Darksith
10-03-2012, 09:59 PM
congrats, to harvest any animal way up there solo is a feat to be proud of

kennyj
10-04-2012, 05:27 AM
Nice old billy! I've never seen one so broomed. Congratulations.

The Dude
10-04-2012, 05:33 AM
Broomed? Goat? Do tell. First I've heard of this. Learn something new every day on the Intraweb.

swampthing
10-04-2012, 05:37 AM
I didnt know goat horns did that. How did you age him? Nice work on gettin the goat. PS, its not solo if someone helps you pack it out.

Blainer
10-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Nothing but respect from me.
I just returned from solo goat hunt.
I seen goats everyday,tried a stock,faced extreme winds,and heights that were unimaginable.
I struggled to find access to the highest rock faces that housed goats,and questioned if it was even wise to attempt alone.
I'm amazed at what goats can do.
New respect for goat hunters from me,EXTREME HUNT.
Good on you!

whitebirch
10-04-2012, 07:43 AM
Thanks -
age is an estimate. Apparently it's rare for goats to broom but has something to do with their glands. I thought he busted em but CI/taxi tell me otherwise

ill agree its an extreme hunt! Much respect for those animals they're quite tough

digger dogger
10-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I'm with the Dude, i never knew goats even broomed..

proguide66
10-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm with the Dude, i never knew goats even broomed..

They dont 'broom off'. That goats horns either busted off in the fall or were shot off by an unlucky hunter in his past.

coach
10-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Congratulations on a successful hunt and a very unique trophy. Good on you for getting it done solo! Thanks for posting.

GoatGuy
10-04-2012, 08:09 AM
Congrats on the goat, definitely one of a kind.

sometimes you'll see goats where their bases have been 'eaten off' by their gland at the bases. Quite often a part of the bases at the back will be chewed up, almost looks corroded.

rollingrock
10-04-2012, 08:11 AM
Is that mountain in Squamish? Looks very familiar...

whitebirch
10-04-2012, 08:14 AM
Hey there! Mountain is in west koots! Taxi has seen others broomed (shot without a cliff fall afterwards) somehow I think getting two horns shot off is less likely than brooming! I agree with those re the cliffs, always steeper than they look!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Congrats on the nice billy!!

Goats do fall to their death quite often(only once per goat LOL!) so it would be safe to assume that occasionally they do fall and survive. Maybe this is how the goat broke off his horns?

SSS

whitebirch
10-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Certainly sSteve
I'm just going by what te taxi/CI had to say
they figured the horn would be 'splintered' if it broke on the fall
perhaps he did previously and it was worn down!

Tenacious Billy
10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Certainly sSteve
I'm just going by what te taxi/CI had to say
they figured the horn would be 'splintered' if it broke on the fall
perhaps he did previously and it was worn down!

Congrats on the goat. I shot a goat a number of years ago and it took quite the fall - broke one of the horns clean off, no splintering. My guess is that the horns off that goat were a victim of the fall.......

If that thing was 400lbs as you estimated - that's a BIG bodied goat!

whitebirch
10-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Congrats on the goat. I shot a goat a number of years ago and it took quite the fall - broke one of the horns clean off, no splintering. My guess is that the horns off that goat were a victim of the fall.......

If that thing was 400lbs as you estimated - that's a BIG bodied goat!

could be but if thats the case it was a previous fall he lived from - his horns were like that visiblly in my rifle scope before i shot

Tenacious Billy
10-04-2012, 11:26 AM
could be but if thats the case it was a previous fall he lived from - his horns were like that visiblly in my rifle scope before i shot

Very unique trophy you've got yourself in that case!

moose2
10-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Congrats on getting your goat they are a tough species to hunt.
Mike

Rattler
10-04-2012, 01:21 PM
My first billy goat fell off a cliff and broke one of his horns clean off, very similar to your billy. I suspect he broke his on a fall as well.

Krico
10-04-2012, 01:28 PM
That's crazy, I've never seen a goat with horns like that before being shot and falling off a cliff....congrats on your billy.

180grainer
10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
With good taxi work, you're looking at a 13 inch Billy :)

BlacktailStalker
10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Curious, why all the blood at the base of the horns then ?
Exit wound ?

whitebirch
10-04-2012, 06:19 PM
good question, but if you saw the rest of his body it would make more sense.
the left side of his face was badly torn and bloodied. both shots broke each shoulder respectively and exited out the opposing ribcage.
I would guess those shot wounds would account for the mouth-blood, and having his face torn would account for much of the face/head blood?

ElectricDyck
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Nice work! I love goat hunting!

decker9
10-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Way to go on a mature billy whitebirch!! got yourself a unique goat there!

ufishifish2
10-06-2012, 10:50 AM
That is pretty darn cool Whitebirch. Goats in that area are indeed very large bodied. The one I got last year was only 5 years old and its body was huge. Two of us couldn't even budge it. I had to debone right there on the side of a cliff.
I have often looked to that exact spot and wondered when I would see a goat there. Now I know that this probably isn't the year!
Good job on a solo goat hunt. I did one once too. Now I bring a buddy to help pack it out! :)
That is a nasty hike you did there. Welcome to the 'crazy' club.

Wild Images
10-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Last fall we had three large mature billies all in the same slide, one had both horns and a great goat. The second had a horn and a nub about 2" long,
The third and by far the biggest bodied billy had only what looked like two huge black puddles on his head where his horns once were.
The valley they live in is brutal to say the least and I guess even a goat can make a mistake and pay the price, that being said old no horns would
be a lifesize mount had we sealed the deal on him.