PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for Leica 62 Armoured Spotter

kutenay
11-26-2006, 05:08 PM
I just got a Leica 62 Armoured spotter to replace my Leupy Compact 25X and I hate the crappy Leupy Compact tripod ( I am usually a HUGE Leupy fan and have lots of them); I would really appreciate someone more familiar with contemporary camera gear than I am posting info. on a topnotch backapckable tripod for this.

I don't mind spending $$$$$ as this is a superb scope, but, weight is crucial as I am not one of these young guys that leap over mountains like they weren't even there, so, I want a stout, light tripod. Suggestions?

StoneChaser
11-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Kutenay, get yourself a Manfrotto (Bogen in the USA) 718SHB digi.

I've used pods in varying sizes by Optex, Slik, Leupold, among others, and have yet to see one that even comes close to the Bogen.

When I made the transition from my 15-45x60 B+L Elite to my Zeiss 15-45x65 I needed a better pod. Your optics are only as good as the pod...

This pod weighs a little more, but is quite compact, and allows you to easily sit on steep nasty slopes and still glass from the sitting position.

The Quick release plate is bar none the best I've used (serious lockup w/a big brass bar (like a sidelock shotgun action on end)).

The head is ultra smooth, and locks up true (a feat with such a heavy spotter as the Zeiss/Leica).

They run ~ $175 or so... (a store out east - Henry's I believe it was called)
Give it a try... I guarantee you you'll not be disappointed.

One last thing I did was glue the QR plate right to my spotter w/locktite. It has not budged!

I'm a "weight weenie" like yourself, but packing worldclass glass and then using a poor tripod is bad news.

IMHO it is about the Stoutest/Lightest/Most practical tripod you can get... believe me I searched high and low!

My rationale for an increase in spotter/pod weight was simply "It'll save ya walking...so who cares if it's heavier"....but it ends up resulting in extra walking (you'll spot critters MUCH further than you could before) (grin)!

StoneChaser

Gateholio
11-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Me too!!

But I'm not sue they make them!!

When i upgraded to the Ziess Diascope 15-45 spotter, I knew I was going ot have to put up wit some extra weight form it and the tripod.

I ended up getting a tripod that Stonechaser reccomended, but it is not ligt or compact!:o

Stone Sheep Steve
11-26-2006, 07:30 PM
I, too, took S/C 's advice and went with the Bogen 718SHB for my Swarro 20-60X65mm. Great tripod!!

$181 from Henry's delivered to my door.

SSS

kutenay
11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Thanks, SC, I thought that I remembered something about you finding a tripod that really worked and hoped that you would respond and remind me of exactly which one it is. I wrote it down over a year ago, but, we old geezers tend to lose things........even miss the odd deer, too.........

I will phone Henry's tomorrow and order one.

MattB
11-26-2006, 11:55 PM
I have the bogen 713shb, its a great tripod! Anything bogen/manfrotto is good in my books!

Maxx
11-27-2006, 12:02 AM
how heavy are the
bogen's?

MattB
11-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Depends on the model. Do a quick search on manfrotto tripods and you should be able to find the specifics of each model.