PDA

View Full Version : first dog to be trained for hunting? advise, tips, good books? unsure of breed yet

BRvalley
10-02-2012, 07:28 PM
I have the kennel built, dog house almost done, ready to start looking for a pup. This would be my first dog with the itention of training as a working dog. I grew up with a chow chow and a golden retriever, family and a close friend had GSP and weimaraners. Consider myself very good with dogs, always been able to easily train on house hold issues and behavioural issues, but have never trained for hunting.

My primary interest is a bird dog, grouse, pheasant, ptarmigans. There is a ton of choices on books out there, would anybody recommend anything?

Also interested to hear from anybody who hunts with a lab...obviously great duck dogs but i've heard mixed things about grouse dogs, they are either amazing or do not perform well. And I would gather that depends largely on training?

Is it possible to have a lab perform equally well in the bush for birds and as a water dog, or would it be hard with cross training issues? specifically i've been told labs are notorious running far in the field, and I would want a dog that trains to hunt within 25 yds, and they are very hard to train to point and wait...basically only a flush dog and hope i'm within shooting range....keep in mind I'm a complete rookie to bird hunting and dog training. Am i being subjected to a personal opinion here? or is this legit advise

I was initially planning on a GSP or a setter of sorts...but the opportunity has come up to adopt an 11 week old chocolate lab, in addition to being a great breed, it would be really great to adopt a dog who is in need of a good home too.

I have a week to do some serious research and then make my mind up. Any first hand input would definitely be appreciated?

Thanks.

EDIT - I do know this is a well covered topic, I just didn't find the search function to pull many results(maybe not searching too specifically I guess)...feel free to PM

sakohunter
10-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Sound like you are doing your homework, which is a good thing. I do believe that the flushing breed can be trained to sit on scent, then released to flush. Some of the retriever guys may know more on this topic. I mainly know pointers. Good luck on your adventures.

KDMC67
10-03-2012, 08:48 AM
I have to say I love my german wirehair pointers,,,have had them for years,,, and there is nothing better then watching a dog you brought up and trained out working the field.....:)

Foxton Gundogs
10-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Sound like you are doing your homework, which is a good thing. I do believe that the flushing breed can be trained to sit on scent, then released to flush. Some of the retriever guys may know more on this topic. I mainly know pointers. Good luck on your adventures.

I have trained flushing spaniels and flushing retrievers for going on 50 yrs now. How we train our flushing dogs, and the accepted method, is to flush hard and strong first then hup (sit) till release command is given it is no problem getting your shot once you learn to read you dog you will have no doubt when he is gettine "birdy"

FirePower
10-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I will add 1 comment to Foxton's post. That is to say, we train our flushing dogs to quarter within gun range' so in theory all flushes are shots. There is absolutly no need to have a flushing dog sit or hesitate before driving in to make the flush

300WinMag
10-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Adopting a dog sounds like a great thing to do, but I would do some due diligence on the dog. I assume that the lab you are considering adopting is from hunting blood lines. I would also want to see the dog's parents working in the field if I were you.

FirePower
10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Although bloodlines and immediate parants field abuility is a good indicator it is by no means the final word on a pups ability. What is much more important is their health clearances and the pups desire to retrieve and also interst in birds(throw a wing in with it and watch its response). Just because one or both of the parents were never trained to hunt is no indicator in the pups aboloty and desire. One of the greatest Spaniels of all time was FTC Speckle Of Ardoon, she was sired by a show dog out of a non working pet stock bitch. Each dog has its own path to walk just be sure it is going to remain sound to walk that path for a long healthy time,

Panic
11-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I might be a little late here but have you considerd Jack Russells at all? Back in the UK I owned and hunted with them for 9 years and they were all phenominal bird dogs (my last two were wabbit hunters) and they respond to return training like no other dog in my humble opinion. A little on the small size for sure but more than enough energy to run and fetch all day.

dutchie
11-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Look into the German bred dogs.

Duestch Kurzhaar and Duestch Drathaar...

My dog will point soild, blood track and retieve. I had a bit of help from a Pro trainer (by a bit I mean alot) but these dogs are bred to do that and they are bred as hunting dogs so you are not going to get a dog that has not been proven before it breeds... FCI is definatly the way to go for a hunting dog.

You can look on the forum here and there are LOTS of Drathaars and a few Kurzhaars...

THESE DOGS ARE NOT GERMAN SHORTHAIR POINTERS OR GERMAN WIREHAIR POINTERS!!!!!!! They may look the same but they are a true un butchered hunting breed! true gun dog instincts..

Cant train instinct but you can refine the dogs instincts. BIG difference!

Dutchie