PDA

View Full Version : Need Moose Calling Help

10-02-2012, 10:09 AM
I got a good draw for moose in Region 4, and am going to hunt for a few days later this week. I will be using my bow, so need to get close, and this will require calling one of the big guys in.

I have only taken 2 moose previously, and none by calling, so I am a greenhorn for sure. Can any of you moose hunting/calling gurus give me a few pointers? I can mimic the sound of a cow and bull relatively well (thanks youtube!), but would like to know the best set-up strategies.

Thanks!!

moosecaller
10-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Call and hope for the best shot you can get, if you can mimic the calls then that's all you can hope for,it takes years of refinement to call 100% all the time, been doing it for just shy of 40 years and still hoping to improve my skills.
Set up with the path of least resistance downwind (trails or opening), call into the wind, don't have the moose walk through big openings, hunt close to cover.

Darksith
10-02-2012, 12:40 PM
moose are relatively easy to call if you are there at the right time, there obviously needs to be moose in the area. That being said there are years where the moose are very active vocally, and other years where they just don't really talk much at all. They are not like elk where you need to be skilled, basically if you can mimic the sounds you hear from other calling vids/moose vids then you will do well. The rut will be happening right now around kamloops and south so its a good time. Biggest thing is to watch the wind, if you have wind and you are solo hunting then it could be tough, ideally you want the caller to be behind the shooter so the moose is focused on the caller and walks right past the shooter.

I have a friend that called in a moose by accident one time pull starting his unco-operative chain saw. Its all about time of season and knowing where the moose are.

montec-destruction
10-02-2012, 01:25 PM
if you have a partner going with you, get him calling in the bull while you stand up-wind 50 yards towards where you hear the bull calling. stand off the side where he will most likely be passing you to head to your friend... this is what we do for elk, should work the same

10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys!

10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
How long should I call in one spot before giving-up and relocating??

Stone Sheep Steve
10-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Checkout Youtube. Endless amounts of videos involving calling techniques.

SSS

ElliotMoose
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
If you see plenty of fresh moose sign in an area, it's never a bad idea to stick around. We've been in areas calling all morning seeing nothing and had a bull come into view while we brought our sandwiches and coffee out at 11 am. You never know how far they are travelling from, or when they will pop into view.

Some bulls will hang up just out of sight inside the treeline until they can confirm a visual or scent of the cow they hear calling. Alot of times raking some brush with a branch (old moose scapula works even better) to simulate another bull raking will bring those hesitant ones into view. Also, space out your calls. Bellowing out a call every 30 seconds will not improve your chances. Often I've seen guy's over use calls while something is coming in and the bull shuts up and disappears

Great time to go out right now, weather looks like it may cooperate and the animals should be vocal and moving. Calling a big bull into within bow range is a pretty wicked experience. Good luck to ya

Chris

North
10-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Not an expert but have had success with cow calls to draw a bull within range. Also have poured water from a bucket to imitate urination. Typically do three drawn out cow calls every five minutes or so for about a 30 minute cycle. I like to start quiet and work my volume up so as not to spook a moose that is close by.
If you have the time make sure to give an area a solid chance before you give up on it. With that being said, do some homework and try to find some sign and promise that the area is decent so your putting yourself in a position for success. If the wind is good your call can travel way further then you would think and it takes time for them to travel. Calling in the evening and then checking back in the morning is great or just getting to a good spot early.

If I have called a bull in or I know a bull is close I stop doing cow calls and start grunting and raking brush. This is also my approach if I see a cow or a calf. I have called several bulls out of the bush who were hanging back and out of site from the cow and were quick to come out of the bush and defend their cow.

I think its easier to imitate the bull (less likely to screw it up) and hard to screw up raking brush if you have a shoulder blade or shed.

Good luck and have fun!

moosecaller
10-02-2012, 04:06 PM
How long should I call in one spot before giving-up and relocating??

Getting a moose interested that may take a while to get there, if you see sign stay put. You want the moose to come to you, why would you call him to the area and move? calling in a spot is not a matter of hours it's days; moose travel a bit of a circuit, be patient take your time. Moose will try to circle and wind you hence my advice earlier path of least resistance, find small openings/clearings in the bush keep your back to the downwind side of the bush.