PDA

View Full Version : steel or lead shot

crazybushcreature
10-01-2012, 05:02 PM
So i had a shop tell me its ok to use target load for shooting grouse. Now this target load is lead am i right? Now is it ok that i use lead to shoot grouse? will it contaminate the meat? I dont wanna get lead poisoning or anything. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

springpin
10-01-2012, 05:09 PM
Shoot grouse with lead, or steel...don't matter. Lead has been used for how long???

crazybushcreature
10-01-2012, 05:11 PM
thats what i thought. as long as ur not swallowing it right. im new to hunting by my self. ive always gone with my dad and used his guns and such. so thats why im asking

buck nash
10-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I've been using steel shot since I'm shooting them near a river bank and I'm paranoid about lead, but I was finding it tough to find a light enough load for grouse. Most steel shot is for ducks and geese and way to powerful for grouse. It tears the hell out of the meat. I finally found a 7.5 tungsten/steel load made by kent but it costs about $20 a box. Works great though.

brazen
10-01-2012, 09:19 PM
I used target shot on my first grouse, but since then i've heard to scale up on shot size in general and even more later in the season, i guess they stay farther away? Anyway I (finally) found some shells in my gauge locally, but they only had steel, and i was advised not to get it because 'too hard' 'no killing power', soft lead better. So I just went with the .22 last weekend. Tungsten sounds good, i will be looking for that.

bearhunter338-06
10-01-2012, 09:25 PM
I have been hunting birds with lead for 30 plus years, i'm still alive.

Dutch
10-06-2012, 12:07 PM
What he said :)