PDA

View Full Version : The Comprehensive Quad Essentials List

whitespringer
10-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Recently purchased a couple quads for the family/hunting. I would like to hear from you experienced quad riders what are the must haves on your quads to be ready for the expected or unexpected.

This is my list of items so far:

Tire patch kit.
Matches/lighter.
Water bottles.
Duct tape.
Spare air cleaner
WD40
Flagging tape.
Tarp
Emergency foil blankets.

What makes your list? Thanks

2chodi
10-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Air compressor.
Extra winch cable and tow rope.
Socket set and screw drivers.
Axe.
Bow Saw.
Rope and tarp straps.
Rain gear.

Shooter
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
I also throw some Zap straps in there too... kinda like Duct tape

Shooter
10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh and I have a travel first aid kit on my quad.

moosecaller
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Folding shovel, hand winch /come a long, (if your battery dies), snatch block, first aid kit, spark plug, slime for tires,flash light, change of clothes.

Wheelin Sportsman
10-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Spare tire
Tow straps
Misc tools/duct tape/zip ties
Cold/Rain gear
Gas can
Axe/small bow saw
Shovel
Fire extinguisher
Large tarp
Cooler full of yum yums

Good2bCanadian
10-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Toilet paper or spare socks if u forget the TP

springpin
10-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Great lists gang, but, you forgot your rifles!

whitespringer
10-01-2012, 04:04 PM

I will add tp or socks for sure. ;-)

whitespringer
10-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Fire extinguisher is not a bad idea either... A friend had a quad burn to the ground and all he could do was cry.

whitespringer
10-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the great feedback. This is the add list:

Rope, extra winch cable, snatch block, first aid kit, zap straps, flash light, spark plug, tire slime and of course
Toilet paper and socks (NOT WOOL:shock:) LOL

BCBRAD
10-01-2012, 04:21 PM
To add to the list 13" Dominion Backpacker, ropes and slings, spare glasses and a pint of incouragement and old school bicycle air pump.

whitespringer
10-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Spare glasses. Yes, a must for all of us bespectacled individuals. And a weee bit of encouragement sounds good too.

ruger#1
10-01-2012, 04:38 PM
A light duty fishing rod, And tackle. candles for lighting a fire. And all the other things the other guys listed.

bowhunterbruce
10-01-2012, 04:39 PM
my list goes like this

snatch blocks,
meat/bow saw
chainsaw full of gas and oil
tp in a tabacco can
rain gear
cpl bottles of water
tarp
mini air compressor that plugs into the power outlet
first aid kit
lock cable and lock
2 gun boots
electical tape
sm knief sharpener
spare fuse's and plugs and tire repair kit
a rag
4 pack of moose/elk bags
coffee can full of bungy cords
100 ft of braided roap
and just enough tools to pull apart anything on it.

Darksith
10-01-2012, 05:29 PM
My list (work in progres) is as follows:

In rubber maid tub
Rope
Small Pulley
6' 2000lb sling (to protect trees among other things from winch cable)
flashlight
TP
some emergency canned food (sardines, oysters)
multi screwdriver
10+12mm socket w/ driver and spark plug socket. These will pretty much let me pull apart my ride (yamaha rhino)
Tire plug kit
tire pump (has saved my bacon before due to rubbing a stump and popping the bead way back in grizz country)
small tarp

Other things to bring depending on adventure
chainsaw
come along
small shovel
more heavy rope

I am also looking to design or find an anchor of sorts for those really muddy places that don't have many trees around to get your winch cable onto. But I generally try to stay outta those areas unless I have someone else with another machine with me. More for the northern adventures with skeg.

brazen
10-01-2012, 09:05 PM

There has GOT to be a natural remedy for this???

Gun Dog
10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
And a trailer for all that stuff.

My essentials are a tire patch kit, air compressor, and bow saw. After that, a small survival kit, flashlight, tp, 3/16" rope & duct tape. You can't carry everything that might break.

Buckmeister
10-01-2012, 09:48 PM
I have a winch so I carry:

-a tree saver for winching
-a snatch block for winching
-a shackle that fits around metal racks and through the hole on the rear axle tow plate
-a tow rope
-stainless water bottle with water in it
-toilet paper (made lots of use of that!)
-bow saw
-large pruning shears
-bungee straps
-gun rack

backstrap
10-01-2012, 09:50 PM
A small can of ether and a lighter or matches to pop beads back on (i know, not the safest but it sure works good) make sure the wheel and tire are off the quad and flat on the trail, clean beads very well, give the inside of the tires a shot of ether and light it with a 3ft stick or something. BANG your back in business.

Sako Hunter
10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Winch for sure.

bogman
A roll of haywire and a couple pairs of vicegrips

Buckmeister
There has GOT to be a natural remedy for this???

I've heard green bananas will bung ya up pretty good. :razz:

moose2
10-01-2012, 10:24 PM
I take most of what is mentioned, I also have room for a snow suit, skidoo mits, and a belaclava touque. If I get wet during a day of walking (rain or sweat) putting this stuff on is a life saver for a long ride back to camp. I also try to keep laminated maps of the area I am in as well.
Mike

Drillbit
10-02-2012, 12:43 AM
A small can of ether and a lighter or matches to pop beads back on (i know, not the safest but it sure works good) make sure the wheel and tire are off the quad and flat on the trail, clean beads very well, give the inside of the tires a shot of ether and light it with a 3ft stick or something. BANG your back in business.

I've done this with car tires but never an atv. One buddy always packed a tube for flats. Finally, when we tried to use it we couldn't get the tire off the bead. Even took it off and parked on it with two avts and tried to beat it off with an axe. Ended up driving the 40k out with a flat and is stil never came off the bead or damaged the tire.

Now we all run 6 ply tires and don't worry about flats.

000buck
10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Carry all that and a big red key(bolt cutters) and a small two fold block and tackle (handy billy) small meat hooks 12volt air compressor machetti spark plug and cresent wrench

edgar11
10-02-2012, 07:30 AM
Lots of good advise here. Should always try to go with another person which looks like you have covered. Also, I carry bear spray in my front compartment when I am not hunting. The wife and her friend got stopped on a dirt road by a black bear who did not want to move once. He was not intimidated in the least bit by 2 quads! Forgot to tell her where the bear spray was. oooops!

Iron Glove
10-02-2012, 08:17 AM
And remember your ATV liability insurance papers - ya never know when you'll be asked.

Allen50
10-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Great lists gang, but, you forgot your rifles!

ha ha ha your right they all give a list of whats on the quad while hunting and not one say rifles, to hunt with, i guess they got so much other stuff no room for the guns, have to leave them home,,,, lol lol lol,, dont forget the guns,,,,

J_T
10-02-2012, 01:09 PM
No one mentioned a small trailer to pack all of this "stuff".

Ozone
10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
I am also looking to design or find an anchor of sorts for those really muddy places that don't have many trees around to get your winch cable onto.

If you can bury your shovel, tie a line to the handle as low as possible. A buried tarp can also be used.

One thing I carry that I havent seen on here is a Maasdam Pow’R-Rope Puller which you can put a longer line on.

Singleshotneeded
10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
add a first aid kit, zap straps, 100 feet of tow strap in case your winch line is too short, small air compressor, knife,
and 870 12 gauge with 14" barrel and buckshot/slugs in the buttstock carrier...TP in a plastic bag...

Elkhound
10-02-2012, 08:14 PM
I am reopening this thread. There will be NO talk of illegal activity on HBC.