PDA

View Full Version : Help no time to eat/read - grouse overnight in fridge?

brazen
09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
If i'm gonna cook my grouse tomorrow, do i soak them in water overnight? Salted water?? Or wrap them dry/salted??

Friend tells me good eating with mushroom soup, but, go figger, i also found some (oh no!) shaggy manes to go with (ya, tomorrow lol), so i was hoping to be a little more gourmet...

Glenny
09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
If they're Ruffled or Blues I don't think they need any soaking . Bona petit.

Jagermeister
09-30-2012, 08:59 PM
If it is the breasts that you are cooking do this. Wrap each breast with a rasher of bacon, place in a pan and roast in an oven at 300°F for about 40 minutes and the bacon is getting crisp. You may have to vary the time a little, but use a thermometer to check internal temps.

BernDawg
10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Couple of ways we cook 'em, stacked up in a crockpot full of beans is always good or Grouse fingers for the kids. My MB hunting partner and I tied into a flock that had been feeding in a wild rose thicket. We limited out and took them home for a feed. We shake 'n' baked the breasts and when they were done the meat was light pink from the rose hips (fully cooked) and they were delicious...
Friend of mine keeps the legs and fries them up, says they're better than chicken wings.

10-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Grouse dont need soaking, toss'um in the fridge...
Use the shaggies!!!

buck nash
10-01-2012, 06:55 PM
I soak mine in a salt/sugar water brine cause I find it makes them more tender. I put 2 tbs salt and 2 tbs sugar to a liter of water and let it soak over night.

X2 on the bacon wrap. I've also draped them with a spicy calebrese salami and it turned out great.

This is assuming they make it home cause my favourite way to have them in fried on the griddle over a campfire after a day out. For campfire cooking I just coat them in taco seasoning and sunflower oil and be careful not to cook them too long. They're best when they are just cooked through.

The two I got yesterday were cooked at camp then my son chopped his up and put it in his pork and beans. I'm not a fan of baked beans but he ate like he'd been without food for a week.

brazen
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
what is shaggies???

Done, done and done, mushrooms were just threatening to go, i did sit the meat underwater overnight, we don't do that with fish, now, do we...anyway it was all good, and on the way home from work today i even found some blackberries, which went REAL GOOD with the fry. But a guy at work was instructing me on how to split the breasts so they fry quick, well I'm not real good at that yet! Yes i sure do keep the legs and will be trying to actually do a good job of the wings next time, because i LOVE wings, don't care of there's hardly no meat on em!!! I just had no green vegetable...what is the best green vegetable for a grouse dish?

wow, well, I feel good about eating again even if grouse are , well, the way i got em, more 'roadkill' than 'hunting'...that's ok. I tried to find em during the day but NO luck, but they sure are easy to pick off around dinnertime!

warnniklz
10-01-2012, 09:07 PM
I just take the breast off, roll them in a little flour, salt, pepper, hot pan withbutter. Fried until done. Tasty. I actually got a spruce grouse this year that I didn't mind eating. I usually pass up on them. But they were eating right out of the blueberry patch.