PDA

View Full Version : Lazy hunters rant!!!! Clean up your mess

XPEIer
09-30-2012, 07:23 PM
So we just returned from our LEH moose hunt, the campsite we chose had a larger hunting group in it when we arrived and they were having some success. We set up camp, they took down their camp and left the next morning, which was a Sunday.

On Thursday I am wandering around camp and I could not figure out where the smell was coming from,,,, a bit of searching (with a loaded gun) and I walk behind where the previous group was camped and sure enough. The bear carcass, the moose heads and hides of the animals they had taken were all piled up not 20m from the nearest campsite. In speaking with the group the night before they indicated they shot the bear a week previous, so they had a rotting bear carcass sitting basically within the campsite for a week or more in the heat.

So, for the hunting group from (near Surrey as you described) please clean up your mess in future and take into account other hunters or campsite user safety as we were quite fortunate that we did not end up with a bear in camp.

Oh, your welcome, we really enjoyed having to reload your maggotty carcasses and take them a safe distance from the campsite.

On a positive note, we had a great moose hunt and will return again soon.

xpeier

Glenny
09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Wow that's pretty lame. Was it a black bear? They were obligated to take the meat if it was.

XPEIer
09-30-2012, 07:28 PM
they did take edible portions of the bear, but there was enough left to create quite a stink.

Glenny
09-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Still pretty lame. I wouldn't even think of leaving that junk in a camp site.

BearStump
09-30-2012, 07:34 PM
unless you were camped at a maintained campsite; I dont see the problem here. Animal parts go in the woods, and get cleaned up by other animals. Nobdy made you camp there. Why is 60 feet into the bush not good enough for you? Are they supposed to put all the bones in a pack and go up in the alpine somewhere? I'm assuming that you were out in the bush and not at a forestry campground.

fearnodeer
09-30-2012, 07:39 PM
unless you were camped at a maintained campsite; I dont see the problem here. Animal parts go in the woods, and get cleaned up by other animals. Nobdy made you camp there. Why is 60 feet into the bush not good enough for you? Are they supposed to put all the bones in a pack and go up in the alpine somewhere? I'm assuming that you were out in the bush and not at a forestry campground.

Must agree how far do you take the carcass ? If you are going into someones elses camp what would you expect. Ya i would like a clean camp to but look around before you set up camp.

gcreek
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Do you two shit on your own doorsteps?

If it is a known campsite, provincial or otherwise, a little courtesy goes a long ways.

Spy
09-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Ye something about shitting in your own back yard Hey ! I agree with the OP go dump them down the road away from camp!

sled92
09-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Ye something about shitting in your own back yard Hey ! I agree with the OP go dump them down the road away from camp!
No doubt! Pretty basic common sense and common courtesy!!!!!!

The Dude
09-30-2012, 09:13 PM
LOL, those guys ^^^ are probably the ones that pee and shyte anywhere all around camp, so when you're walking around, you gotta look for landmines.

You don't dump bear bait 20M from your tents, that's plain stupid, no other word for it.
If it's a campsite that others use, then doing that is plain ignorant, no other word for it.

gcreek
09-30-2012, 09:19 PM
LOL, those guys ^^^ are probably the ones that pee and shyte anywhere all around camp, so when you're walking around, you gotta look for landmines.

You don't dump bear bait 20M from your tents, that's plain stupid, no other word for it.
If it's a campsite that others use, then doing that is plain ignorant, no other word for it.

Apparently some do. Heeerrrre's yer sign!

sled92
09-30-2012, 09:40 PM

Yep! Thank-you!!!!

r106
09-30-2012, 09:59 PM
If it was in a maintained campsite ( which it sounds like it was) it's not cool. But if it was a clearing that they used as a campsite then I see no problem. I would agree that it wouldn't be wise or pleasant to camp close to a rotting carcass.

Singleshotneeded
09-30-2012, 10:09 PM
What's so damned hard about running the discarded animal parts a bit down the road and away from a campsite?

The Dude
09-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Another good reason to drive it far, far away is so the damn Song Dogs don't wake you up at 3 AM telling the whole world they got a free meal. :D

deer nut
09-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Totally disagree! This shows very poor ethics. At least drive somewhere out in the bush & away from fellow Hunters. Don't spoil a good camp for others! Obviously they drove the game there to process it. This is totally unacceptable. Doubt they're HBCers! Disturbing lack of awareness, courtesy and safety.

Darksith
09-30-2012, 11:44 PM
this is obviously a known campsite, maintained or not. Who goes and sets up a camp say in a logging block landing right beside strangers already camped there? No body, so it was obviously a known camping spot with at least 2 sites...that part of the story is plainly obvious to most I would imagine.

To leave animal parts anywhere near a known campsite is unethical, irresponsible and idiotic. What if the next campers have kids and then the coyotes or bears come in because of it and grab a kid playing in the bush. Thats pretty much a worst case, but definately possible. Anyone that thinks otherwise, like 60 feet or 60 meters is acceptable needs to give their head a shake and wake up. Stupid and irresponsible. I am sad that there are members defending the actions of this group.

XPEIer
10-01-2012, 07:06 AM
Just to confirm, Yes it is a Provincial Recreation Site and yes, on Friday night a family pulled in and camped right where these guys had set up.

xpeier

Jack Russell
10-01-2012, 07:16 AM

Maybe the next campers don't want to shoot another bear off the carcass to claim a camping spot? How about just general cleanliness? How about consideration for other users, that may not be hunters? How about not bringing garbage (carcasses), that weren't in or near the campsite before you arrived and keeping it the way you found it, or better.

Do you see the problem now?