PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Tires Needed

tooty
11-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm looking for new tires 285/ 75 /16 for my truck.I just need all season or AT tires .Tires I looked at were Kumho road venture AT 825,Dayton timber line AT,Toyo open country AT,Wild Country xtx AT.Any comments on those tires.I know there are better tires ,but I don't want to spend $ 300.per tire.

Gus
11-25-2006, 09:40 PM
My BFG all-terrains have treated fairly good.....I think I paid about $800 at costco for the set. I would definitely consider buying them again.

Will
11-25-2006, 09:46 PM
I just put a set of the "New" style BIG O BigFoot XT's on the Blazer this spring (285/85 R16's)
They are Awesome.......Great in the Mud, dirt sand etc. and are Proving excellent in the deep Snow as well. Abit Howley on the Highway but nothing like a set of MT's.
Overall I'm very Impressed with them 8)

Gateholio
11-25-2006, 10:17 PM
I've got BFGoodrich AT's on my new truck now, bought in July, I am thinking about puting some dedicated snowies on the truck, because I'm retty sure we are going ot have a big snow season this year, and I've already wrecked one truck!:lol:

Bluetick
11-25-2006, 10:39 PM
I run recaps in the winter. They are called Gripper Deep and are available at Kal Tire. A little noisy on the highway but at 125 per tire they are affordable and wear better than any tire I have ever owned including the famous BF Goodrich A/T (owned one set and will never buy them again!) I tried the Kumho Ventures on my smaller truck and thought they were great.

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2006, 11:27 PM
I run BFGs...mudders in the summer and all-terrains in the winter. They are great tires.

Don't buy the Toyos...my huntin buddy put a set on his F350, they only lasted 35K and howled so loud ya couldn't hear yourself think. He's running BFGs now and is very happy with the ride and traction.

Gateholio
11-25-2006, 11:31 PM
Actuallly, now that i think of it, i had oe set ot BF Goodrich tires on my Ford, circa 1997. They wore out relaly fast, i switched to Toyos and didn't switch. Never had a flat with a Toyo, either.

Fisher-Dude
11-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Actuallly, now that i think of it, i had oe set ot BF Goodrich tires on my Ford, circa 1997. They wore out relaly fast, i switched to Toyos and didn't switch. Never had a flat with a Toyo, either.

The new design BFGs wear way better than the older ones Gate. I've had one flat with my mudders in 23 years of running them on my bush truck.

Seth
11-25-2006, 11:49 PM
Motomaster Roughrider tires from Canadian tire are made by BF Goodrich and have a lifetime warranty ( 3/32 rule). A set of four runs you about 600 after taxes and all that other jazz. I ussually frown upon lesser brands but they've served me well on many a long distance trip.

Elkhound
11-26-2006, 09:53 AM
The new design BFGs wear way better than the older ones Gate. I've had one flat with my mudders in 23 years of running them on my bush truck.

Mine only lasted 3 yrs and I had 2 flats in 3 days camping this summer. Just bad luck

craigchaplin
11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Yeah BFG's are notorious fer wearing.......had a coupl sets in my time. I put Yokahama Geolanders on mine now...they wear real nice, no road noise, and are agressive and clean out real well in the snow and mud. Also real impressed on how they handle in the rain.

~T-BONE~
11-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Any luck out there with those nokiia vativas (sp) from Kaltire? Suppopsidly they are supposed to have a guarantee of 70,000km's!! Pretty reasonable in price aswell..

Mckinney Creek Adventures
11-26-2006, 11:14 AM
Traction King Plus.... A side line tire of BF Goodrich. Once you have tried these tires, you wont look at anything else. I live and work in the bush of the interior. If you are looking for a snow tire, these are a great tire. And are a good alround as well. You should be able to get these for around $150-160 per tire. They wear really well as well.

Listen to all the recommendations etc. All seasons are all seasons, they do not shine in any specific condition. All terrains are a balance for all conditions, but I would never run them in the winter, and they wear poorly also.

If you want the truth, talk to a logger or someone who spend the time in there trucks, and dont have the option of staying home when the snow is flying or the roads arent in good condition.

I wish the province would make it law to run snow tires during the winter months. It would save lots of lives and save us all money when it comes to insurance.

My $.02

jessbennett
11-26-2006, 01:01 PM
nokian vativas are one hell of a tire. they have a great warranty lifetime free flat repairs, free rotations, brakes and front ends are cheked for free each time you come in. kal will always take care of ya.8)

Mauser98
11-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I put a set of BFG's(235/85-16R) on my 4X4 in the summer of 2004. They lasted for 27000 km. They didn't just wear out. They came apart. Chunks of tread were coming off two of them. There were rotated every 7-8000 km and I watched the pressure like a hawk.

Never again

Silent Wolf
11-26-2006, 02:44 PM
Well I got a set of Yakohama on my on F-150 and love them, this is my second set on my truck.

I am a Yakahoma lover, I will not change. The size I got on my Truck is 245/75/16......

Most of the tires out there all your doin is paying for the name.

ElKhound, I will let you know about your request as soon as I find out.

tufferthandug
11-26-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm super happy with the Yokohama Geolander A/T's. No flats, and no getting stuck... Yet. Got them from Kal-Tire with a killer warranty.

You can't lose with a good set of Toyo's from OK tire as well.

8 or 10 ply, equals no flat tires.

Benthos
11-26-2006, 03:47 PM
i have bfg a/t tires and love em. they are great in the mud and the snow. if you rotate them at proper intervals they wear okay.

i have also used the geolanders and liked them as well.

scoot
11-26-2006, 10:56 PM
I have had three sets of BFG AT's and one set of BFG muds. I drive ton's. Those who know me will say I am more than hard on my truck and tires. I have yet to have a flat with the BFG. They do wear faster than others, but they are better than the competiton in the winter and they are a little less expensive. Costco seems the cheapest I have found.
Also BFG is one of the only tires to have 3 ply sidewalls, which seems to have proven itself tough for me.

If you do have a heavy truck, spend the extra few bucks and buy the 10 ply tires though. PS, mud's are terrible in the ice and wet.

Scotty

Fisher-Dude
11-26-2006, 11:16 PM
If you do have a heavy truck, spend the extra few bucks and buy the 10 ply tires though. PS, mud's are terrible in the ice and wet.

Scotty

That's why I run 35" muds in the summer and 235/85/16 10 ply all-terrains in the winter. The muds are awesome in late winter corn snow, but suck on icy roads. The a/ts are excellent on ice and snow. The only good "all-around" tire is two sets of tires! :)

Gateholio
11-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Any suggestions for just straigth winter snow tires? To be swapped in te spring?

dirtyharry
11-26-2006, 11:22 PM
For straight winter snow tires the cooper discoverer M+S are the best I have seen. They are an ice radial with all the siping. I used them in alberta and when we were living in NL for 2 years. They are the only true "snow" tires I have seen for a full size truck.

In regular tires my favorite are the toyo M-55. Nothing too fancy but real tough, and come in good sizes.

Rob

Tarp Man
11-26-2006, 11:35 PM
My dad runs the Cooper Discoverer too on his Chevy Silverado 4x4. He loves them, and brags on how little they cost. They are wearing o.k. too. They do pick up a lot of rocks though.

NEEHAMA
11-27-2006, 11:42 AM
i have a super tough lug style tire on for $169. per tire in your size.
i could ship them to you for $8. per tire.

Elkhound
11-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Well I have over a foot of snow at my place now so I got to play with the truck and new tires I put on in Sept.

All I can say is these are the best tires I have used to date. But they are EXPENSIVE:cry:

Bridgestone Dueller Revos Not to be confused with the other 2 dueller tires which suck. I now have used these things in shale, mud, dirt, gravel, snow, ice and pavement. They Rock.
Was waiting for snow and ice before I gave my "Special Seal Of Approval"

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+A%2FT+Revo

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

#4 on the list. But the other tires have no where near alot of miles on them.

MB_Boy
11-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Dave.........what kind of dollars were they per tire? My Yoko's are coming to the end of their days and I may need to replace them somewhat soon.

Elkhound
11-27-2006, 12:39 PM
PM sent Scott

youngfellla
11-27-2006, 01:36 PM
Traction King Plus.... A side line tire of BF Goodrich. Once you have tried these tires, you wont look at anything else.

Another vote for Traction Kings. I run studded 235/85 R16 Traction Kings on both my trucks. Super traction on icy roads, and they wear very well.

jessbennett
11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
nokian hakkapelitta light truk tires. nokian make the best winter tires around........they are both studdable and directional.

Gateholio
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
I've avoided studs on tires in recent years, since I tended to just run the Toyos year round, but I am thinking about buying some brand new snowies and studding them...
When I used to use them, they sure did grip nicely on icy roads!:lol:

Gateholio
11-27-2006, 03:47 PM
I've avoided studs on tires in recent years, since I tended to just run the Toyos year round, but I am thinking about buying some brand new snowies and studding them...
When I used to use them, they sure did grip nicely on icy roads!:lol:

Any drawback to studs, except abit of extra noise?

dirtyharry
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
Studs have to be put on the tire new. I have also heard they have less traction on dry roads. However I have never noticed them to be bad. You also need to pay attention when rotating since I have been told that studded tires should only go front to back and not switch sides. If you switch sides you will lose more studs. True? I don't know, I always just did it the way I was toldso I never found out.
When it comes to icy roads, studded snow tires always amaze me just how good they are. I always forget until the spring when I switch back and get caught by the last spring snow. Mud tires are okay in snow, but garbage on ice. The thing that makes mud tires good mud tires is that the large lugs clean themselves as they turn. This makes them bad on icy roads cause you want the snow to stick in the groves cause snow on snow sticks better than rubber on snow. The big lugs are like driving on hockey pucks. You also want lots of siping (the lttle groves cut) or the thin film of water that forms when warm rubber touches ice causes you to slip.
Also true snow tires are made of a different rubber compound that stays softer in low tempuratures than the high durability compounds used in mud and AT tires. This allows them to still maintain traction below 10C. Go out to a parking lot when its cold out and feel AT tires with your nail. Then try and dig into someone elses with snow tires, you will see what I mean. This is also why snow tires don't last worth a damn if you leave them on thru the summer.
I always ask people who say their AT's or mud tires are good in the winter if they have ever ran true snow tires. Usually the answer is no. You don't know what your missing until you try.
Only thing that compares is chains and we all know how much that sucks!

Rob

browningboy
11-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Best bang for your buck-BF Goodrich AT, they're not noisy, have good wear, extra sidewall protection and can get them in numerous sizes.:)