PDA

View Full Version : New puppy, need help for training!

MountainMan#1
09-30-2012, 12:34 PM
I am wondering if anyone can recommend or PM me a person in the Langley-Chilliwack area that knows how to train dogs for waterfowling. I have a 2 1/2 month old Toller and I'd love to get him to retrieve.
Thanks, James.

kelmore
09-30-2012, 04:09 PM
pm sent good luck with the pup

Foxton Gundogs
09-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Probably get more response to the question in the dog section. Your pup is way to young to wory about any SERIOUS waterfowl training(personaly I dont like taking an outside pup on before 7 mos) you need to do the puppy obedience classes first reliable sit stay come and lead mannor are esential. Also excite the retrieving instinct by playing fetch with the pup start with a tennis ball( you can usually generate more intrest and drive with rolling a ball at first) but replace it with a small puppy bumper as soon as the pup shows excitment for retrieving.
In the past bcgamebirds on this site has been very helpful to people just starting out.

Good luck but above all have fun and enjoy the pup
Cheers
FG

Tuckster
10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
I have hunted with Tollers for duck since I started hunting. In my experience they are not really reliable in the field until their second fall. It seems pretty instinctual for them, I have used a dummy with a duck wing attached for scent and it seems to work well. They are always pretty good for retrieves of birds they see, the trick is getting someone's help for blind retrieves after a shot.

blindman
10-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Kasomor Nova Scotia breeder and trainer Chilliwack

604-824-6757
kasomor@shaw.ca
www.kasomor.com