PDA

View Full Version : Lost my moose to a grizzly, kind of....

JIL_24/7
09-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Anyone ready for what seems like an unbelievable story?
I went on my very first moose hunt this past week in region 5. I was awarded the draw in an area with very good odds. When I arrived I learned why. All the cut blocks have grown up, and the one with the best view was already inhabited by another hunter who had been there for two weeks. I spent three days trying to get a bull to respond to my cow call. I began to think I didn't know what I was doing having never done it before, but the local guy assured me it was one of the toughest areas to hunt period so I kept on keeping on. On Thursday morning I finally got a response, but the bull was too far away and it got too late in the day before I could close the distance enough. That was a major problem as the heat played a big role in the hunt this year. I came home sun burned. That just shouldn't be. On Friday morning about 7:30 AM, though, I finally got my break. I got a bull to respond to my cow call, and he was coming in hot! He was breaking branches and barking like a dog. It was an amazing and incredible display. I found a spot where I had about 15 yards of clear vision and waited. By sound he was no more than 30-40 yards away when something crazy happened. The bull was calling from my right, but then a sound came from 10 feet to my left. It was a grizzly bear. It let out an annoyed/frightened/angry? huff that chilled me to the bone. I was frozen, but just as quickly as it all started it was over. I never heard or saw the grizzly again, and the bull was gone. I feel very, very fortunate to be typing this, and I also feel a little upset to have lost what seemed like a golden opportunity. This bull had to be big. The carnage he left was impressive. I stayed through the evening just to go back to the same area and try once more before going home, but no response came. Hopefully next year I can get another chance. In the end it is only my second full season hunting, so I am quite happy to have called in a bull like that in a really tough area. Add this to the bull elk I called in last year, but never got a clean shot on and you have a couple interesting first years. Mostly I'm just thankful to God for keeping me safe in a very dangerous situation. Happy hunting to all!

Jagermeister
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM
And you had "darkness" in the pants?
I must say your story is quite entertaining despite the outcome or lack thereof.
I wonder if the grizzly was responding to your cow moose calling?
Just a thought. Maybe you should put in for a fall grizzly LEH in that area.
Anyhow, better luck on the moose next time.

springpin
09-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Now that's a high pucker factor!

sherpa-Al
09-29-2012, 09:08 PM
That's chilling for sure. I had a similar experience bowhunting from a treestand, called a bull in at last light, he came barking and crashing all the way but the sounds he made were a bit off, turned out to be a big grizzly. I was in the treestand being very, very still and he was on the edge of the clearing looking for the cow until dark. I waited until I thought he'd left and then started making lot's of noise and yelling "Hey Bear" every minute or so while working my climber down the tree, thought I was going to get chewed for sure. When my feet hit the ground I was off like the roadrunner and like you, feel fortunate to be typing this.

Al.

Are you going to try again for a moose or is your draw over?

pazz0
09-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Epic grizz stories.
We were out elk hunting (with long bow, no firearms) last week, and the whole time we were calling them in I had my radar on for grizzlies. Being several hours away from the vehicle in a non-motorized zone makes things a little more interesting.

The Dude
09-29-2012, 11:34 PM
That's chilling for sure. I had a similar experience bowhunting from a treestand, called a bull in at last light, he came barking and crashing all the way but the sounds he made were a bit off, turned out to be a big grizzly. I was in the treestand being very, very still and he was on the edge of the clearing looking for the cow until dark. I waited until I thought he'd left and then started making lot's of noise and yelling "Hey Bear" every minute or so while working my climber down the tree, thought I was going to get chewed for sure. When my feet hit the ground I was off like the roadrunner and like you, feel fortunate to be typing this.

Al.

Are you going to try again for a moose or is your draw over?

Crappppp...... I woulda slept in the tree. :D

Was this you when you hit the dirt?

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af186/webb47274/cartoon_cat.gif

paulgug
09-30-2012, 12:10 AM
I agree with Jager, I bet that grizz was hoping to find a cow moose, but was scared away by you or the bull or a combination of both. I have had similiar situations occur to hunting partners while elk hunting. The grizz and even cougars will come into a cow call. Scary stuff, I am glad you made it out safe.

moose2
09-30-2012, 01:11 AM
I have called in about a half dozen grizzly's and a few black bears while moose calling over the years. I was told that very often when a cow is ready to mate she will hide her calf near by. Some bears know this and will look for the unprotected calf while the cow is calling. I have seen enough come in to know its more than a fluke. I have also had wolves respond as well.
Mike

RiverOtter
09-30-2012, 05:27 AM
At least he made his presence known, before you were shoulder deep in moose guts and otherwise pre-occipied.

Still a chilling encounter, none the less....

fearnodeer
09-30-2012, 06:46 AM
Glad you made it out ok, were you hunting alone ?

srupp
09-30-2012, 11:24 AM
hmmm I believe I mentioned" lots of grizzlies in that area"...and lots of moose and they DO respond to calling...nothing you and I can do about the weather....congradulations on an epic hunt...call before you put in next springs LEH for some suggestions..

cheers

Steven

uraarchr
09-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Well,you got a better story than "Just another moose down "story.and youre alive to tell it!!!

JIL_24/7
09-30-2012, 04:14 PM
My draw ends today. I had to leave Friday night because I had to be at church today. I was hunting with someone, but he has less experience than me. It just happened that way due to the person who told me to put into the draw ended up going without me and another friend not recovering well enough from surgery. I will definitely be out hunting again this year. Next trip is one closer to town in Princeton for everything under the sun Oct. 12-16 or so. The killer end to the trip was coming home to find my 13 year old weimaraner passed away while I was gone. A really great dog. Hurts pretty bad.

srupp
09-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Sorry Bro....sad ending to a great adventure..

Steven

ruger#1
09-30-2012, 05:43 PM
My draw ends today. I had to leave Friday night because I had to be at church today. I was hunting with someone, but he has less experience than me. It just happened that way due to the person who told me to put into the draw ended up going without me and another friend not recovering well enough from surgery. I will definitely be out hunting again this year. Next trip is one closer to town in Princeton for everything under the sun Oct. 12-16 or so. The killer end to the trip was coming home to find my 13 year old weimaraner passed away while I was gone. A really great dog. Hurts pretty bad. Sounded like a great trip. Sorry about your dog. I know how it feels.

Jagermeister
09-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Looking back at the opening post on this thread, I see something that I would not consider doing.
When calling a moose for example, I want to have as much visibility as I can possibly have. Not necessarily because of a potential incursion of a predator, but more because the sooner I can see the moose, the better.
Moose don't exactly have the best eyesight, their noses and ears are their best defense mechanisms.
There have been instances where bull moose, particularly during the rut can be attracted merely by flashing a light colored rectangular board. This emulates the flash of antlers over a distance and along with cow calling can bring the bull in thinking he has a rival for a cow.
Case in point, my son and I were hunting LEH moose in 7-06. We knew the location of a bull as we had followed his tracks down a FSR riding our ATVs. Saw where he veered off into the tall timber. There was a clearcut and the road travesed across on the high side. We pulled off onto a knoll in clear view. Visibility in any direction was in excess of 300 mters.
We quiety sat there for about 20 minutes after which I started cow calling at about 4 minute intervals over a span of 25 minutes. There was no reaction from the bull whatsoever. I then gave a couple of bull grunts from the opposite direction and lo, twigs started to crack as he made his way toward us. Never grunted once, just came down the mountain right into the open where he got tagged by a 338WM.
It just goes to show you that you don't have to be heavily concealed. When you are in the open, just limit your movements, no walking about, try to sit still. You can scratch your ear and shoo flies away if you must, do it slowly, no sudden or fast movements though.

JIL_24/7
09-30-2012, 07:13 PM
I would have loved to use that kind of strategy, but I challenge you to go to my draw area and find more than 15-20 yards of visibility anywhere. Believe me. I tried. You just can't sit in an open area because there isn't one. It is just the dynamics of the area. Not ideal, but that is what they are, so instead of complaining about the area I simply went to work with what I had.

Looking back at the opening post on this thread, I see something that I would not consider doing.
When calling a moose for example, I want to have as much visibility as I can possibly have. Not necessarily because of a potential incursion of a predator, but more because the sooner I can see the moose, the better.
Moose don't exactly have the best eyesight, their noses and ears are their best defense mechanisms.
There have been instances where bull moose, particularly during the rut can be attracted merely by flashing a light colored rectangular board. This emulates the flash of antlers over a distance and along with cow calling can bring the bull in thinking he has a rival for a cow.
Case in point, my son and I were hunting LEH moose in 7-06. We knew the location of a bull as we had followed his tracks down a FSR riding our ATVs. Saw where he veered off into the tall timber. There was a clearcut and the road travesed across on the high side. We pulled off onto a knoll in clear view. Visibility in any direction was in excess of 300 mters.
We quiety sat there for about 20 minutes after which I started cow calling at about 4 minute intervals over a span of 25 minutes. There was no reaction from the bull whatsoever. I then gave a couple of bull grunts from the opposite direction and lo, twigs started to crack as he made his way toward us. Never grunted once, just came down the mountain right into the open where he got tagged by a 338WM.
It just goes to show you that you don't have to be heavily concealed. When you are in the open, just limit your movements, no walking about, try to sit still. You can scratch your ear and shoo flies away if you must, do it slowly, no sudden or fast movements though.

Riverboatfantasy
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
That bear has been chasing hunters and moose since before Betty Frank was jumping out of cakes!

Jagermeister
09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
That bear has been chasing hunters and moose since
before Betty Frank was jumping out of cakes!
Now that is funny. However, I think she had some guide assistants jumping out of those cakes.

Brambles
09-30-2012, 10:45 PM
he just wanted to snuggle

The Dude
09-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Nuggets: Sounds like you need a new area, Bro. :D

The Hermit
09-30-2012, 11:31 PM
So why not use a tree stand to gain some elevation?