PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS maps/Iphone maps...and first post joke

BRvalley
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
I've been a casual lurker I guess, moved out to BC from ON during the olympics. I'm a diehard angler, not many fish/anglers that rival my skills IMO lol...although I grew up around hunting, tagged along in camp, etc, I didn't start hunting/owning firearms until I was an adult. Still have a lot to learn and a lot of ground left explore in BC. Spent the first 2 years between Van/Whis. Was fortunate enough to land a job at a heli-ski/wilderness resort, an incredible experience living remotely in the southern chilcotins and sharing my backyard and bike trails with grizzlies. I currently live in the Peace region, relocated for work.

Now for my question...I've just purchased a garmin 62st, I was upsold on the unit as I was told this model came loaded with maps...but the topocanada map isn't that great, it's a black basemap with orange contour lines, not the best for hiking out past sunset, and doesn't show as much detail as I had hoped it would.

looking for feedback on what maps you guys are using with GPS? whether you purchased or downloaded for free...if i can find a free map for AB/BC that'd be sweet

I know you can use your iphone as a gps, haven't looked into this much, not a fan of the battery life, weather resistance, touchscreen with cold fingers and would it not need a cell signal to work? I also need to do an update to download maps which i'm not to keen on figuring out

and my obigatory, new member joke, heard this at work the other day:

a newly wed couple are on route on their honeymoon and the wife exclaims, "I can't wait to lose my virginity tonight!"

the husband is shocked, "but you've been married 3 times, how are you a virgin?"

well...my first husband was an IT consultant, he always said he had recorded my request and would get back to me

my 2nd husband was an engineer, he always said he needed time to research, design and test new positions to maximize my pleasure

my 3rd husband was a stamp collector, oh god, I do miss him sometimes.....

the husband thinks about this, "so why are you so sure about me then?"

well, you're a lawyer...so I KNOW you're really gonna F*** me

huntingfamily
09-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Ha Ha, not bad.

Ya I had the same experience with TopoCanada.
You want the BC Backroads GPS maps. I got the micro-SD card version & it's mo' better.
http://backroadmapbooks.com/GPS/

Good luck.

hf

mikeman20
09-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Backroad mapbook for gps> all others that i know of

r0adki1l
09-29-2012, 07:57 PM
look up ibycus topo free there is a you tube tutorial as it is a bit involoved in getting and installing it but i love it you have tp download a 3 gig torrent

cjones156
09-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I use the GPS KIT app on my iPhone and it works really well. If i preload the map before hand while i was in service, it uses a couple different maps but i use the sattelite (google earth) i find it really helpful. I was a little doubtful on how it was going to work without service but it seems to be pretty accurate. The down fall is definitely the battery life.