PDA

View Full Version : Right handed left eye dominant what to do for sights.

Camp Cook
09-29-2012, 09:53 AM
I used to bow hunt a lot with my now 20 year old split limb Chek-mate compound bow but due to a serious eye condition in my right eye called keratoconus (basically I will one day have to have a cornea replacement operation to see out of it) I stopped shooting the bow.

I retrained myself to be left eye dominant to shoot handguns and went to more powerful magnification on my rifle scopes.

Even if I retrained myself to be right eye dominant again my vision is so blurry in that eye even with reading glasses that I can't see well enough to use the sights.

Which brings me to my question.

Is there a sight designed for a right handed bow that has enough adjustment that I can shoot/aim with my far better left eye?

The Hermit
09-30-2012, 08:48 AM
You could always learn to shoot instinctive without a sight and use both eyes.

I am signed up for cataract removal and lens replacement surgery for both eyes in October... getting the new gel lens that they manipulate with UV light after installation and shape it to match my prescription. Supposedly the world will be brighter, more colorful, and most importantly I won't have to wear these foggy progressives ever again! Might need reading glasses for real small print.

bugler
09-30-2012, 10:30 AM
You would probably do better getting a lefty bow and training yourself to shoot left handed. Many have done it. Probably easier than you might think.

greybark
09-30-2012, 11:13 AM
You would probably do better getting a lefty bow and training yourself to shoot left handed. Many have done it. Probably easier than you might think.

What Bugler says ....
Cheers

Camp Cook
09-30-2012, 11:37 AM
I would rather not spend the money on replacing bow with lrft hand = I have everything now to hunt with my bow if I could just figure out how to use my dominant/better eye.

I already know how to shoot instinctive did it for years did a lot of bow fishing without sights as well.

I have been thinking about getting a Lh recurve/long bow my buddy just bought a brand new Lh PSE Coyote recurve need to give it a try.

It would limit the distance I would shoot though.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-30-2012, 12:04 PM
where there is a will there is a way ... But replacing your bow with a Left handed model will use your dominat eye better ... will also net you better shooting than if you were fight with righthanded stuff with a left dom eye ....

Camp Cook
10-01-2012, 05:52 AM
I started doing an internet search and came across the Eliminator Pro bow sight, on a youtube video a fellow that was right handed and left eye dominant was shooting very well with it I finally found the manufacturer Extreme Outdoor Products http://www.extremeop.com/

Here is part of one of the testimonials found here http://www.extremeop.com/testimonials.php

From Bow Hunter Planet

The Eliminator Pro is a 1 piece peepless sight system. With this sight, you will gain a few FPS since you don't need a peep sight or a kisser button, you can shoot earlier & later, and you don't have to worry about a peep not being lined up because your string twisted. It is good for people who have trouble seeing thru a peep sight or a right handed/left eye dominant, or visa versa, person. The design of the Eliminator Pro makes you come back to the same anchor point every time. You will also know if you are torquing your bow because you won't be able to see you pin if you are.

The Eliminator Pro is also a sight that an opposite eye dominant shooter can use. There is plenty of windage adjustment to both the front & rear sights to move it over for you. I'm not an opposite eye dominant shooter, so I couldn't test that out. there are several sets of mounting holes so you can set it where you want it. It comes with mounting holes for lights on both the front & rear sight pins. I found that the pins were bright even in low light without the use of a light, but the lights help. the mounting bracket has dovetails for a good, secure mount. The front sight has plenty of windage & elevation markings. The sight is a right or left handed bow sight.

Ryan Lewis
BHP Field Staff
www.bowhunterplanet.com (http://www.bowhunterplanet.com/)

willyqbc
10-03-2012, 06:43 AM
Ok....so a little history, my wife was right hand dominant and right handed shooting her bow to start with. Thanks to a sinus infection of all things she lost most of the vision in her right eye. We too exlpored many options to allow her to shoot right handed with her left eye. Bottom line is it just doesn't work, it seems like it might work on paper, but6 it just doesn't. Compound bows and their sighting systems are designed to work with everything in line.....eye,peep, rest, sight. When you you take your eye and sight considerably away from the centerline of the bow and anchor point you will find that it will magnify errors downrange. What I mean by that is a minor form error that would usually result in an arrow hitting 1" off target may well result in an arrow hitting 6" off target. anyway, long and short of it is you can spend money and time chasing the ability to shoot right hand gear with your left eye and end up frustrated and right back where you started or you can bite the bullet and start learning how to shoot left handed, from experience I believe that is where you will go in the end anyway.

Good Luck!
Just my opinion
Chris

PS.....let me know your draw length etc.....might have something left handed around that would fit the bill for cheap to get you started learning lefty if you decide to go that way.

wsm
10-03-2012, 07:39 AM
bugler is right . i did exactly that . always shot right now i shoot left . second nature now

Camp Cook
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I just received this response email from Extreme Outdoor Products

Good Morning Camp Cook,

The Eliminator Pro Sight will take care of your problem. I have all my Canada dealers listed on the web site. You can order from my web site on the contact page. If your planning on using the same bow you have I would go with the Horizontal Pins that you can adjust for your different distances. If your wanting to shoot the vertical pin, I would go with the 3 or 4 dot pin. Thank you for your inquiring about our products. We look forward to working with you.

Best Regards,

Mitchell Schmitz
Extreme Outdoor Products Of MS Inc.
Customer Service
107 Dianne Drive
Brookhaven, MS 39601
Phone / Fax 601.833.5395
Email customerservice.extremeop@gmail.com
Web Site www.extremeop.com (http://www.extremeop.com/)

Doesn't really matter though I just purchased a NIB s/s 26" barreled T/C Prohunter in 7mm mag today so the bow will be put aside for another time.

CC

Gumsehwah
11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
You might want to try a HINDSIGHT edition for your existing sight. . . replaces the peep on your bowstring.