PDA

View Full Version : any body hunt with a spear

toad
09-28-2012, 10:44 PM
ok now that that's over with any body hunt with a spear??.... was listening to a joe rogan podcast yesterday and the guest was doing a show for tv about cavemen or primitive times and hunted with a spear....he bagged an elk with a spear.... i think that would be awesome. just read a post about a spear here.... anybody do this?? is it legal??

Gateholio
09-28-2012, 10:49 PM
It's legal, we have had a few threads on the topic.

BiG Boar
09-28-2012, 11:09 PM
here it is

BiG Boar
09-28-2012, 11:11 PM
here it is

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/Argentina%202011/IMG_2549.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/Argentina%202011/IMG_2548.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/Argentina%202011/canada276.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn5/bigbore14/Argentina%202011/canada402.jpg

toad
09-28-2012, 11:49 PM
big boar.... your an effing stud

carnivore
09-29-2012, 08:12 AM
A spear with metal head! What a wussy high tech weapon. A real primative method would be to use a club! Or better still your fists.:smile:

fuzzybiscuit
09-29-2012, 09:00 AM
There was a link to a youtube video on here a few years ago were a guy sneaks up on a bear with his head in a bait barrel and swings a large sickle (Kaiser Blade) into the bear's side, all while another guy films it from above in a tree stand.

Darksith
09-29-2012, 09:20 AM
throwing a spear at large game is primitive, inhumane and unethical IMO. Ive seen a guy hunt water buffalo on wild TV with a spear, it was obvious that he needed more practice, was basically throwing it at the side of a barn and praying that it didn't just wound the animal. Also stabbing a cat with a spear that is most likely stuck in trees via dogs isn't studly at all, but to each their own.

Grousedaddy
09-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Mother nature is un ethical imo , have you watched animals kill other animals before?? Its not fast and its not pretty so imo as long as it is harvested its ethical. Go watch that video of the falcon killing a goose , it will proably disturb you though because it takes the falcon about 5 minutes to kill it ......

new hunter
09-29-2012, 01:09 PM
from what I've read , spears arent really a primary hunting weapon like a bow or gun , its used to finish animals that have either been run down , or trapped ( like bison at a buffalo jump ) .
I have also heard that we were unable to hunt some species like deer or antelope until we develloped the bow , you just cant get close enough with a spear .
Huntin boars with a spear was ussually done by persuing the boar with dogs and horses , then spearing the pig while the dogs had it cornered .
Dangerous work , and certainly not easy , but a bit different from the commonly held Idea of jumping out and throwing the spear .
If you look at the first picture posted youll see that the boar spear has a cross bar just below the blade .
That cross bar is to prevent dangerous game from rushing up the spear shaft and goring you .
You wouldnt need something like that if you were meant to hurl the spear ( which would make it a javellin ) , you only need something like that if you are going to maintain contact with the spear while it kills.
I would be down to hunt with a spear , but it would require a group effort and a sound ambush plan .
I'd like to do the same with a primitive bow or atlatl ( primitive group ambush hunt ) , It would just be hard to find enough like minded people .
Conclusion , it would be cool to hunt with a spear , but you'd need to learn allot about it to have any luck .
Be a great way to bond with youre hunting buddies though .

Darksith
09-29-2012, 02:18 PM
Mother nature is un ethical imo , have you watched animals kill other animals before?? Its not fast and its not pretty so imo as long as it is harvested its ethical. Go watch that video of the falcon killing a goose , it will proably disturb you though because it takes the falcon about 5 minutes to kill it ......

Thats a pretty smart answer...

Other animals just shit and piss whenever/whereever they want, why don't you do the same?...or...other animals kill each other so why don't we...or...why don't you simply shoot an animal when you see it, not worrying about shot placement?

Maybe you should look up ethics, or go back to hunter training.

If your gonna kill an animal (large game) with a spear because you need to feed your family and thats all you got, I totally agree...but just for kicks, that good sir...is basically the definition of unethical.

Gateholio
09-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Sticking a animal through the lungs with a spear isn't much different than sticking an arrow through the lungs. Just like with an arrow, you gotta do it correctly.

Darksith
09-29-2012, 02:48 PM
Sticking a animal through the lungs with a spear isn't much different than sticking an arrow through the lungs. Just like with an arrow, you gotta do it correctly.
totally agree, and stabbing a boar with a spear is different than throwing a spear at a water buffalo. Im not raggin on big boar, although I don't believe in hunting animals with dogs, but thats a different debate all together...

Im more talking about what I saw on wild tv...the guy gets close to 1 buffalo, tosses the spear and completely misses, next time around he hits it way back and gets lucky that the animal bleeds out but who knows how long. If he was trained and looked like he knew how to throw and had spent a lot of time practicing and was skilled at it then I can support that, but this guy obviously wasn't well versed in throwing a spear IMO.

lorneparker1
09-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Is against hunting with dogs, and spears? Do you fly fish and donate to peta? If its legal its legal case closed.

Lorne

Grousedaddy
09-29-2012, 05:50 PM
My ethics are just fine i was just stating that anyway a human kills is prob more ethical then ne thing else wether its by spear or gun

Darksith
10-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Is against hunting with dogs, and spears? Do you fly fish and donate to peta? If its legal its legal case closed.

Lorne

Legal is legal case closed? What is wrong with some of us...you really don't think I can't start naming legal unethical rounds to go hunting large game with? There is legal, and then there is ethical...

My ethics are just fine i was just stating that anyway a human kills is prob more ethical then ne thing else wether its by spear or gun
u cant compare apples to oranges. Animals dont have ethics, but poor or lack of ethics by a human is gotta be worse than nature in our eyes

chilcotin hillbilly
10-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Just maybe you should stop pushing YOUR ethics on others???Darksith Because most of us don't want to hear it!!!

digger dogger
10-01-2012, 07:21 AM
Just maybe you should stop pushing YOUR ethics on others???Darksith Because most of us don't want to hear it!!!
x2, legal is legal!!!

The Dude
10-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I think the look on your GF's face pretty much sums up how much fun she was having.

Foxton Gundogs
10-01-2012, 07:45 AM
x2, legal is legal!!!

X3, cat and bears, or phesants and grouse, hunting over well trained dogs is a thing of beauty.

BlacktailStalker
10-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Regardless of ANY point, a true sportsman wants his quarry to die as quickly as possible using a method that leaves the least amount of room for error.
A spear leaves the MOST room for error and probability of loss and a slow death or crippled existence.

ROCK BOTTOM
10-01-2012, 10:15 AM
i believe with the right amount of practice a spear is a deadly weapon at close ranges. probably 50 yards max. I think if you hit a animal good with a spear its gunna kill it faster then with a bow looking at the size of the wound it would leave. ive been really thinking about getting one and trying it out after lots of practice on a spring bear. ive seen it on tv and the animals dont go to far. just my thoughts tho

rides bike to work
10-01-2012, 10:31 AM
There's a video on you tube of Africans hunting with spears.they get a hunting party of over 500 people and push bush and huck spears at the animals as they run through all the people then they have a huge fight over they 50 pound antelope tearing it to shreds like a pack of hyenas then they get a elephant and some hippos they throw like hundred spears into them and barely escape when the animal charges the animal dies very slowly and painfully by the looks of it.not exactly civilized.I'd post the link but don't know how

skibum
10-01-2012, 11:25 AM
It is the interweb - for f'in sake. So someone has an opionion that you don't agree with. State yours and disagree. Don't get all riled up.

If it get pushed on you, then get riled up

hillman
10-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Years ago I read the old-time adventures of Sasha Siemel hunting jaguars in Brazil. He was a legendary "jungle man" in Brazil. His dogs would corner a jaguar and he would approach it with his spear. The idea was to get the jaguar to charge and then impail it as it leaped on him. His spears had a long blade with a hilt so the critter didn't work his way past the hilt.

Anyone who's read Jim Corbetts books would get a kick reading his book. Some info on him here: http://latviansonline.com/index.php/dyk/article/375/

Both of these fellows were solo hunters. Corbett was known for hunting maneating tigers & leopards in India.

lorneparker1
10-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Legal is legal case closed? What is wrong with some of us...you really don't think I can't start naming legal unethical rounds to go hunting large game with? There is legal, and then there is ethical...

u cant compare apples to oranges. Animals dont have ethics, but poor or lack of ethics by a human is gotta be worse than nature in our eyes

Heres YOUR problem, Legal is legal. Set in stone. No ifs ands or buts. Ethics are subjective. This is no different then the guy who thinks its unethical to shoot bears over bait, but is completely fine with shooting one off the road like 95% of all bears shot in BC are killed.

huntcoop
10-01-2012, 01:12 PM
i believe with the right amount of practice a spear is a deadly weapon at close ranges. probably 50 yards max. I think if you hit a animal good with a spear its gunna kill it faster then with a bow looking at the size of the wound it would leave. ive been really thinking about getting one and trying it out after lots of practice on a spring bear. ive seen it on tv and the animals dont go to far. just my thoughts tho

Awesome, just awesome, post of the month?

lorneparker1
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
50 yards might be a bit of stretch lol

Stumpy
10-01-2012, 01:36 PM
What a bunch of corn holers........

hunter1993ap
10-01-2012, 04:14 PM

i think you meant to say five yards... most people wouldnt be able to throw a spear 50 yards. its stupid to hunt with a spear with todays technology. if you want primative, shoot a muzzleloader or a longbow. if you want to shoot further get a crossbow or a compound or a riflle and dont piss around with a spear.

KodiakHntr
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Some guys like a bit of a challenge...And a rifle just doesn't do it. After awhile, a bow is too easy too. Arrow a few at less than 5 yards, and you realize how easy it can be to sneak up on them while they feed.

Personally, I hunted black bears for a couple years, solo, where I wanted muzzle blast burns on the hide. Get close enough to touch a bear with the muzzle and you'll realize that a spear isn't that far off the mark (pun intended).

Just waiting on my Samburu to show up from Cold Steel to try one on a spring bear.

hunter1993ap
10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
i guess some guys are just too good of hunters. when i can easily kill 200"+ mule deer, 190" whitetailed deer, 400"+ elk, 185" stone sheep, and the list goes on, i'll start hunting with a speer but untill then i guess i'll take the easy way out use my rifle. give me a break!! consistantly killing big animals with a rifle is hard enough.

KodiakHntr
10-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Evidently you haven't hunted bears much in the spring....

Kill enough big bears and get to the point where you pass up 6'+ bears every year because they are too much of a hassle to deal with dead, then you might understand.

For me to kill a spring bear now requires it to be a special bear. And by that I mean a reasonably big bear (pushing 7') with good friends and a kill would make it a really memorable hunt. OR a seriously big boar, well over 7'....and over 8' would be better.

I don't NEED to kill another bear. The mystery is gone. Maybe a spear will bring that back.

Not everyone hunts for the same reasons. My reasons aren't yours, your's aren't mine....

Grousedaddy
10-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Well put Kodiak some people require a big mulie or monster whitetail while others are happy just making a kill of any size each year. You may never kill a record deer , elk or sheep so why wait to try new methods of hunting..... When you are able to get within 10 ft of any animal , im my opinion your ready to try a spear!

Evidently you haven't hunted bears much in the spring....

Kill enough big bears and get to the point where you pass up 6'+ bears every year because they are too much of a hassle to deal with dead, then you might understand.

For me to kill a spring bear now requires it to be a special bear. And by that I mean a reasonably big bear (pushing 7') with good friends and a kill would make it a really memorable hunt. OR a seriously big boar, well over 7'....and over 8' would be better.

I don't NEED to kill another bear. The mystery is gone. Maybe a spear will bring that back.

Not everyone hunts for the same reasons. My reasons aren't yours, your's aren't mine....

RobRuger
10-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Spear=bows.

Hidehanger
10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Actually Spears do not = bows...sorry to rain on the parade here but check out page 16 of the H&T synopsis...spears are not legal weapons in BC for the purposes of hunting big game...

Grousedaddy
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
It does not say anything about spears in the regs from what i just read iWent to page 16 and cannot find the word spear or javelin any where.....

hunter1993ap
10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Actually Spears do not = bows...sorry to rain on the parade here but check out page 16 of the H&T synopsis...spears are not legal weapons in BC for the purposes of hunting big game...

where does it say this? i cant seem to find where this is stated.

Grousedaddy
10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
If we both couldnt find then he prob just made it up

hunter1993ap
10-01-2012, 09:18 PM
i think mabey because the title of the chart says legal hunting meathods, and spear is not on the page it might be considered illegal? thats the only thing i can think of.

Hidehanger
10-02-2012, 06:38 AM
i think mabey because the title of the chart says legal hunting meathods, and spear is not on the page it might be considered illegal? thats the only thing i can think of.
That's where I was going with that comment...in BC hunting big game with a spear does not appear to be legal...

KodiakHntr
10-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Completely legal.

The synopsis isn't the law, merely a condensed version of the law for guys to carry around.

Air rifles and muzzleloaders aren't mentioned on pg 16 either, but they are legal to hunt with as well.....

digger dogger
10-02-2012, 07:14 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?75913-Great-new-advance-in-hunting-technology!&highlight=spear+hunting
I'm not sure this worked.. Spear hunting is legal in BC...

Gr8 white hunter
10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
little man syndrome.

BiG Boar
10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
I haven't checked up on this thread since I've actually been out hunting. Its been a good season so far.

As far as ethics go, everyone has their own set of ethics.

Is it unethical to shoot from the road? In many states it is illegal, even from a dirt road. Is it unethical to use a bow if you don't have much experience? How much experience is necessary? At what distance is it ethical to shoot at big game? Which cartridges are ethical to hunt with? How far is it okay to throw a spear? How many hours behind the spear does one need before it becomes ethical? These are all questions that can't and never will be answered the same by hunters around the world. What about using dogs for hunting purposes?

Was it unethical spearing animals like I did? Some might feel so, and those that do might want to join the other bleeding heart anti hunters.

Did they die in a humane maner? Absolutely. I have seen many bullet shot game live longer, due to lack of practice. All deaths by spear occurred in less than 30 seconds. No spears were thrown, all were thrust. Was is intense fun? Incredible, I would love to do it again. Is it legal in BC? I am sure it is. As are sling shots, air guns, and black powder weapons. If something is illegal, like hand guns, it is clearly mentioned as being a no-no.

Are there a lot of people on here with no sense of adventure?

Are there a lot of people on here that would be afraid to spear an animal?

Are there a lot of men on here that are afraid of riding motorcycles, because people say its dangerous and unnecessary?

hunter1993ap
10-18-2012, 07:52 PM
so the sprear never left your hand until it hit the animal? i would be fine if you could stalk that close and stick the spear where you wanted to but throwing a spear is a different story (especially after watching guys spear hunting on wild tv). bringing up other ways of wounding animals does not change what is ethical or not, just other ways things can go wrong. which way goes south most??

Bc Deer Hunter
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Sure it is great if you can thrust the spear into the animal, but as soon as the spear leaves your hand you have absolutly no control. Seen a couple of videos aswell of, BulS%*T throws that hit the quarry in the gut, or slice the briskit opened! I'll stick with my bow or rifle for now :D

yukon john
10-18-2012, 08:05 PM
primitive, inhumane and unethical IMO.

Every anti hunters opinion on hunting in general, same argument could be made against archery, non-magnums etc. Are you with us or against us? If its legal than leave it alone.

hunter1993ap
10-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Every anti hunters opinion on hunting in general, same argument could be made against archery, non-magnums etc. Are you with us or against us? If its legal than leave it alone.

this is where personal ethics and being legal conflict. standing up for what i believe is better than sitting back and just listening. i am not an anti hunter, but if you class me with anti hunters because i dont have the same beliefs as you than your words have no merit to me. mabey i am the minority on this issue and most would like to fling spears.

BiG Boar
10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
so the sprear never left your hand until it hit the animal?

No, the spear never left my hands. In fact with the boars, its very common that they will charge you, and the outfitter told us not thrust them, but to hold firm and let it impale itself on your spear. The dogs were incredible. They would surround the quarry, and then it was man vs beast. The blade was so large that the wound was absolutely massive.

It was incredibly dangerous as we were charged more than once. Is it for everyone? Probably not.

WARNING: Spear hunting is NOT for the average school boy b*tch.

For those that are afraid of adventure, see if you can find a good place to put down the purse. Take on a new challenge, and for once in your life do something that scares the CRAP out of you.

This is definitely worth trying. But its not for everybody...

HunterOgi
10-18-2012, 08:33 PM
No, the spear never left my hands. In fact with the boars, its very common that they will charge you, and the outfitter told us not thrust them, but to hold firm and let it impale itself on your spear. The dogs were incredible. They would surround the quarry, and then it was man vs beast. The blade was so large that the wound was absolutely massive.

It was incredibly dangerous as we were charged more than once. Is it for everyone? Probably not.

WARNING: Spear hunting is NOT for the average school boy b*tch.

For those that are afraid of adventure, see if you can find a good place to put down the purse. Take on a new challenge, and for once in your life do something that scares the CRAP out of you.

This is definitely worth trying. But its not for everybody...
your right a preety boy would not like this kind of thing but im certain that not one hunter would be affraid to pick a spear up... some just prefer to have quick cleans kills while others do noot care..,..,,..

hunter1993ap
10-18-2012, 08:36 PM
i agree with you big boar, would be the biggest rush you could probably experience. and probably less chance of wounding an animal than most other hunting meathods. with all the dogs and such surrounding it. i still dont agree with chucking spears but what you did i dont have any problems with.

HunterOgi
10-18-2012, 08:38 PM
my bad big boer,,did not read your post rightt,, though you said you where chucking it. later...

vortex hunter
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
X3, cat and bears, or phesants and grouse, hunting over well trained dogs is a thing of beauty.

X1000 I hunted my first bear with dogs this spring and it was amazing and just wonderful to watch the dogs working hard

TexasWalker
10-18-2012, 08:52 PM
throwing a spear at large game is primitive, inhumane and unethical IMO. Ive seen a guy hunt water buffalo on wild TV with a spear, it was obvious that he needed more practice, was basically throwing it at the side of a barn and praying that it didn't just wound the animal. Also stabbing a cat with a spear that is most likely stuck in trees via dogs isn't studly at all, but to each their own.
Maybe if you get your balls back from your wife's purse you too might have the fortitude to spear a live animal,
until then please refrain from putting down those that do.