PDA

View Full Version : Walker Creek Road

.330 Dakota
09-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Wondering if anyone (Canuckshooter) has ever ventured up Walker Creek Road off of HWY 16 into 7-18?
The road looks good a long way into the unit,,and if so are their usually many hunters? Any grizz??
Any advice appreciated,,,if it sounds good, I will take a drive,,,if it looks good I will apply for a spring griz tag....doing my research now before I put in the draw

junkyard_g
09-28-2012, 02:35 PM
it was washed out all last year just past the sande fsr as was the pass lake road. 7-18 was unreacheable by pickup last year. i believe the pass lake rd got fixed up though. look on the parks bc website at kakwa park it gives access info. its has been deactivated for many years somewhere before the park. but yes, lots of grizzlies in that country.

.330 Dakota
09-28-2012, 08:49 PM
it was washed out all last year just past the sande fsr as was the pass lake road. 7-18 was unreacheable by pickup last year. i believe the pass lake rd got fixed up though. look on the parks bc website at kakwa park it gives access info. its has been deactivated for many years somewhere before the park. but yes, lots of grizzlies in that country.

Thanks I weill check out that website for sure...

heybert
09-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Walker Creek is usually pretty good for Grizz. Haven't hunted the area for a number of years, but my father was there last year and access was good until Sande Road. They saw some big tracks on POB and had a Grizz on the road at km 25. Also go up Holy Cross. Seen a rather large grizzly there about 10 years ago. His offsprings should be around. Good luck.

trebreklaw
09-28-2012, 10:07 PM
The washout at 32 KM (just passed Sande Rd) has been fixed.
Not sure about further up. heard it was out about 70km.

Most logging blocks are grown up now. But sighting Grizz on road is common.

Not many road hunters last few years due to moose wolf decline and limited visibility from road.

Bowzone_Mikey
09-29-2012, 10:04 AM
used to go down there all the time to Access Ptarmagan creek and fish ... Rocky mountian whitefish ... Yummy ... Albiet 20 plus years ago
My Dad knew the Guy that built the Hydro electric generator there. (fixed his airplanes)
Not certain whatever Happend to Him and His Family .... I know they moved as I drive by their old place all the time

Still tough access past 70 kms but doable if your certifiable ;) I wouldnt wanna take a big campin rig back in there ... if you know where to look you can find most any specis in there

.330 Dakota
09-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks Guys,,,I know griz tags in 7-18 are easy to draw so thats why Im asking about access,,,,

swampthing
09-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Snow is the problem with spring draws. You want to get to the back end where the mountains are. Crossing the creek/river to get to the mountain is a bitch too.

big game chaser
09-29-2012, 02:11 PM
lots of camps in there this year!