PDA

View Full Version : Any Chum bums out there?

fuzzybiscuit
09-28-2012, 07:09 AM
The Chums are starting to run just north of Campbell River.

A buddy and I caught three Chums and two Coho yesterday at Deepwater Bay. Unfortunately both Coho were wild, so back they went.:-(

Life gets in the way of living and this year I put almost no time into fishing and as a result my freezer is almost free of salmon. I have a little time now and was planning on smacking the Chum for the next few weeks but was curious as to what most of you do with them once caught. I like them cold-smoked and candied but I can't say as I've ever had them any other way. Most years between Chinook, Coho and Sockeyes my freezer and jars are full by this time of year and the few Chums I keep are just for smokers.

Do you fillet, vacuum pack, and freeze them? Can them? Etc...

While I realize that Chums aren't ranked up there with other salmon for table fare, it's the end of the season and I don't have a lot of choice if my family is going to be eating much in the way of salmon this winter. The few Springs I did get aren't going to go far.

So, let's hear it. Has anyone had any good experiences with Chums?

steel_ram
09-28-2012, 10:10 AM
It's too bad Chums aren't better table fare w/o smoking or other prep. They are so plentiful and resilient.

goatdancer
09-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Poor Man's Lobster

6 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup salt

Cut FRESH chum into 1" cubes
Mix together water, salt, & sugar
Bring to a boil
Drop fish in
When fish rises to the top it is ready
Dip in garlic butter
Smells like lobster cooking and tastes like lobster

J-Man
09-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Should put that in the recipe section.

lilhoss
09-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Ya,I'm going to try it out here off of Ladysmith.I've read alot of articles this year about Campbell River's derbys and the chum action.Got my new double eagle boat a few months back and haven't hit the salmon yet.All the creeks in our area including the big rivers all fill with chum,so I figure they got to come by the boat at some time.I've got a Bradley smoker just waitn'!!!

09-28-2012, 03:49 PM
lillhoss,

Start googlin Chum gear, it is quite different then what you might think.
Kinda like Coho Blue, Chinook Greem and Sockeye pink when talkin hootchies.

J-Man
09-28-2012, 03:52 PM
I always thought Chums were purple and slow troll.

09-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Yep, Purple being my definition of Dark. Black as well...Dark blues.
its hard to put a finger down on color of Hootchie..... to describe it. And ive long forgot the numbers of them..... other the J44R is a Glow Army truck...

lilhoss
09-28-2012, 04:06 PM
lillhoss,

Start googlin Chum gear, it is quite different then what you might think.
Kinda like Coho Blue, Chinook Greem and Sockeye pink when talkin hootchies.

Yes,I've noticed the gear talk.The flashier the better.An article in an outdoor mag showed the hootchie combos and even added some spin-n'glos,which I had lots of from the 'ole steelhead days.They like to strike alot out of anger as opposed to hunger so those colour combos you've said are good.I think I'm well rigged for 'em,just got to get my 12 yr old kid to be patience enough to troll for salmon!Always wants to bottom bounce for "whatever".:razz:

09-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Thats what i was like too! but after a while it'll change!
it only takes a screamer or 2