PDA

View Full Version : Moose calling?

daywalker
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Has anyone tried calling yet for moose? Was going to head out this weekend and was thinking of maybe trying some calling still might be a little early but might get something to come in.

Jelvis
09-27-2012, 08:15 PM
It's not early, it's happening right now, WHAAAAAAAAAA uh, WHAAAAAaaaaa oh. Do it through a rolled up newspaper.
The moose rut is from September 23 to October 23rd, give or take a day or two.
The peak is October 1 to the 12th, then tapers off.
Prerut is Sept 9, to rut, starting on the 23rd of Sept.
rut is -- Sept 23rd to Oct 23rd
post rut -- Oct 23rd on
Jelly -- Your now in the know -- WHAAAAAAAAaaaaaa wah -- repeat three times than shut up for five minutes at least --
-- This is the cow moose one WHAAAaaaaaaa wah call lasts about four seconds, stop take a breath and repeat --

daywalker
09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
was wondering more on if it has heated up yet in the northern region just wondering if anyone has been out and how they have been reacting I believe there is going to be a full moon this weekend so not sure how that will effect things but if the rut is going full on it should not really have to big of affect I hope.

Jelvis
09-27-2012, 08:30 PM
A calf call is different to make, the calf call sounds like a crying calf sound, a tone or two higher than a cow, and the calf cries out for up to ten seconds at a wail. Cries like a baby cries for mommy's attention.
Calf call -- Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a a a -- fade out at the end -- higher pitch and longer call ---
The calf moose call works good in the rut -- the bull here's the calf call and thinks mommy is with another bull, so it moves in to see if he can take this other bull that's hasslin the calfs mother ..
And here it's you calling, a love starved bull, make sure you keep your back to a tree. lol.
Jel's (Moose) Calling Tricks n Treats

moosinaround
09-27-2012, 09:30 PM
I checked the Alces Alces almanac, and this year the rut is predicted to start on October 5th, and run straight through to the 25th of October. There is really no use trying till then as the almanac is usually pretty accurate at predicting this activity! The northern section of the province is expected to have a peak rut activity from the 8th to the 12th, with excellent rutting happening on the 10th! A cow call around a swamp may produce a bull response, but prognosticators are saying it will need to be a very quiet but quaky moan rather than a shaky nasally moan. I can PM you a copy of this almanac if you would like, I have a pirated version. Moosinaround

TheProvider
09-27-2012, 09:37 PM
If you dont want to try calling yet. Try mimiking a moose urinating in the water by using a bottle or a pale. Might be enough to have one come check you out. Older moose catch on quick with early calling and gun shots. Think outside the box till the rut is here

2chodi
09-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Saw a bull on the prowl this AM in 7-33. I am not sure about calling, but it was clear he was looking for some loving.

moosinaround
09-27-2012, 09:40 PM
If you dont want to try calling yet. Try mimiking a moose urinating in the water by using a bottle or a pale. Might be enough to have one come check you out. Older moose catch on quick with early calling and gun shots. Think outside the box till the rut is here
Man I have tried that, but geezuz I end up pissin like a race horse all day, wind up dehydrated!! Dam near passed out last year!! MOosin