PDA

View Full Version : Kootenay Elk

Friesen Hunter
09-27-2012, 01:35 PM
I am Planning on going on a hunting trip in the kootenay's for Elk, out in Region 4-16 Slocan river area.
Just wondering if anyone has seen or heard of much activity going on in that area? if its worth heading out that way or if it would be better just to head further in the west kootenays around Bull river.

Whonnock Boy
09-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Simply put, not many will answer on this topic. You are asking questions about West Kootenay elk. Not many divulge info about this topic. However, I do hear it is good around Zipper Lip Creek, which is not too far from Nospeekum Lake, which is just over the back side of Mt. Aintnoinfo.

hunter1993ap
09-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Simply put, not many will answer on this topic. You are asking questions about West Kootenay elk. Not many divulge info about this topic. However, I do hear it is good around Zipper Lip Creek, which is not too far from Nospeekum Lake, which is just over the back side of Mt. Aintnoinfo.
haha good answer. go and put some miles on and find some elk. its not easy but you have to work to find new areas. my legs still hurt from trying to find elk in new areas this year but i know where to go now!

OutWest
09-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Come on out and join the hoards of other hunters. Been hitting a few areas around here in the West Koots. Into some good bulls but you're competing with guys who will walk right in on you while calling in a bull.

Wrayzer
09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Roth how'd the chase on that big boy go?

hunter1993ap
09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Come on out and join the hoards of other hunters. Been hitting a few areas around here in the West Koots. Into some good bulls but you're competing with guys who will walk right in on you while calling in a bull.

i hate competeing with people. so far this year i havnt had a single person interfere while ive been working a bull. its been nice and i hope i get lucky again this weekend with no people,, and hopefully elk. good luck to you and hopefully you get the bull youve been working.

358mag
09-27-2012, 08:13 PM
Jezzz why should Region 4 be any differnet than Region 8 ? ..............:-o:-o:-o

OutWest
09-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Roth how'd the chase on that big boy go?

Still working on him. Taking off from school early tomorrow to spend 3 days going after him. He's got some cows now and is hanging out in a beautiful basin up high. It's a hell of a hike up there so I likely won't get a night hunt in tomorrow unfortunately. Had a good run in with a big grizz last week so I'll be spending some time stashing my food away from my tent tomorrow night. You been able to get out at all?

Edit: G is coming out tomorrow as well as his son has a cow draw for out here. He's going after bulls though. Showed us some pics of bulls he took when it was LEH. Jaw droppers for sure. Looking forward to putting miles on my boots in some of these areas. I see myself spending less and less time in the Okanagan as each September rolls in.

OutWest
09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Jezzz why should Region 4 be any differnet than Region 8 ? ..............:-o:-o:-o

Of course not. That just wouldn't be GOS elk season in the Kootenays now would it :D?

Getting into my spots away from the local honey holes isn't the easiest when you have class that usually runs from 8am to 4 or 5pm each day. Can only blow off so many classes and still keep the marks up. By the way, shouldn't you guys be out here by now?

OutWest
09-27-2012, 10:04 PM
i hate competeing with people. so far this year i havnt had a single person interfere while ive been working a bull. its been nice and i hope i get lucky again this weekend with no people,, and hopefully elk. good luck to you and hopefully you get the bull youve been working.

Thanks and good luck to you as well. Like I said to 358mag, I've been heading straight from labs to some local spots out here in the West Koots and spending the night when I don't have class until 10am the next day. The 3 day weekends give me more time to get away from the crowds which is nice.

WKCotts
10-08-2012, 01:41 PM
i grew up hunting this area... it's thick, steep and most of the cuts are now all overgrown due to the local mill being closed. much better areas for elk close by

smoothbor
10-08-2012, 07:50 PM
as west koots said steep and thick and as well has seen a fair amount of pressure over the last month was up there the other day and still seemed to be a fair amount of people hunting the area.I had the draw for that area 5 years ago and had a great hunt but that was then. still lots of elk you just have to get away from the roads and into those dark hiding places where no one else is going and you will find elk.