PDA

View Full Version : Finally scored with the .243 Pics

rocksteady
11-24-2006, 08:04 PM
After shooting my elk on the 15th of September I have been busier than hell doing the honey dew list, as well my shoulder has been aggravating me big time...Lack of sleep was really starting to take its toll.

Spent a few days chasing mulies at the end of the season, okay I admit it I was road hunting..In the area I hunt late mulies, you slowly drive the road, find the does, sit and watch and see who pokes out to visit them. After the end of mulies, never cut a tag, went out last weekend for small scouting trips looking for a whitetail..Just does..

Went out with a couple friends today, only 6 days left for rifle whitetails, and I am committed for 4 on a training course, that i can't take holidays during, so....

Went out this morning and walked a bunch of thick Douglas Fir ridges at the base of the Rockies. Painfully slow still hunting, saw a ton of does and one small spike that I could not get a shot at. I am a meat hunter so as long as its got bones on its head its in the freezer. We hunted til about 2 or so and then wandered to the far end of the ridges to do a stand hunt. Sit under the big fir, watch the far side of the clear cut, usually the deer come out about 3:00 or a bit later....

So the 3 of us are trudging across a bald ass open clear cut, get about 25 yards from the big fir and Rod says "deer!", I can't see the friggin thing, I am looking about 100 yards in front of us..Rod says"buck!" I still can't see it..Finally he tells me its on the edge of the timber at the far edge of the cutblock...I see it !!!

Drop onto my belly, fold down the harris bipod, put the crosshairs on him and once he came clear from some small trees, let one fly..I knew I hit him as he jumped kind of funny, took off like he was on fire, but then went down in a cloud of snow and back up again and we lost sight of him in the timber. We made our way down and were looking for tracks/blood etc etc and all of a sudden there he is hiding behind a big juniper..He took off into the timber and I had to wait til he clear a Douglas Fir thicket before I could get another shot..All of the time, Rods saying "shoot, shoot, hit him again" Only shot I had was a Texas ass shot and didn't want to do that.

Finally had a clear shot, hit him and Rod says "I saw it hit him, don't shoot again". 5 seconds later he does the drunk deer routine and falls over..

First critter I have killed with my new .243, the original shot was in the neighbourhood of 300 yards, took him a few inches back, right smack dab in the liver. The other shot was directly in the heart.

Gutted, dragged 200 or so yards to another road and he's now in my carport, all skinned and cleaned, waiting for a trip to Ricks Fine Meaats tomorrow....

The pics are the after skinning routine, so they are not all that pretty. My buddies have the field pictures so I will post those, once they download then off their cameras...Be patient those pics will come soon enough...

Would have been happy with a spike, but the 4 point will do too...

MARC: Not only did I pop the virginity of the .243 Savage, but also did it wearing my new HBC hat...I think I got a new lucky hat......

Enjoy guys (and gals) I think he will be a good sausage buck....
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/2006%20whitey/Picture001-3.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/2006%20whitey/Picture003-3.jpg

TravisC
11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
NIce looking buck id sure be happy with that meat buck.

Marc
11-24-2006, 08:13 PM
MARC: Not only did I pop the virginity of the .243 Savage, but also did it wearing my new HBC hat...I think I got a new lucky hat......
Oh crap, I sold you one of the lucky hats instead of the regular ones. I usually charge more for those ones.:lol: :mrgreen:

johnes50
11-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Congratulations on your deer. Those little .243's are nice shooting deer rifles aren't they? I use one myself. John

3kills
11-24-2006, 09:32 PM
congrats on the buck...cant see the pics though...

rocksteady
11-25-2006, 05:32 PM
Are the pics working for you now?? They worked for me then didnt' then did, So I went into photobucket and fiddle with my settings...

Tell me if their still hooped and I will try again..

bsa30-06
11-25-2006, 05:41 PM
pics are working , congrats on the buck.

3kills
11-25-2006, 06:08 PM
pics work great nice buck...

Will
11-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Congrats ! Nice Buck, Nice Car too ;)
Anything based on the 308 case is Excellent Deer medicine8-)

Phil
11-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Nice shooting! Great buck! Want to sell that lucky hat?:lol:

rocksteady
11-25-2006, 06:20 PM
[quote=Will] Nice Car too ;)

That the wifes little Baby - 2006 Mustang GT 5 speed, 300horses at the rear whells, needless to say I don't get to take it hunting,,,,,

Tarp Man
11-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Rocksteady, I think I got one of the lucky hats too! Broke it in for my moose this fall and the 3 point Blacktail I got with Lapadat. Marc, you forgot to charge extra too! Great buck Rocksteady.

todbartell
11-25-2006, 06:50 PM
what bullet did you use ?? 8)

rocksteady
11-25-2006, 06:52 PM
Just some factory winchester 100 grain Power Points, XP2 rated.

Got to use them all up before I can start reloading for yotes...Thats on my to do list to.

Even at close to 300 yards it was a full pass through shot.

Elkhound
11-26-2006, 09:56 AM
Congrats RS. Nothing like breaking the cherry on a new rifle eh?

sawmill
11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Congrats,nice buck!I just blooded my new 243. on a 5x5 whitie this fall and I love that rifle.It a Brownining lever and it is so light and handles so nicely I just want to take it everywhere but people freak out at the Royal bank when you come in to deposite the paycheck.:)