PDA

View Full Version : Prince George Deer spots

roboto88
09-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Anyone know any good areas to hunt Deer near Prince George. Has anyone seen any whitetails around PG?

tinhorse
09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Lots of white tails around PG, all directions. One of my favorite spots used to be down the Tako road then down the High Profit I believe. It goes off the blackwater and goes along close to the blackwater river. also used to be good for elk and moose around there. Lots of hunters, but hike some deactivations and get into some of the nice fir ridges and you should find something worth shooting. I haven't been there in some time now, so can't confirm that it is still good, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. For white tails I liked the salmon river area, or greg creek

jml11
09-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Lots of white tails around PG, all directions. One of my favorite spots used to be down the Tako road then down the High Profit I believe. It goes off the blackwater and goes along close to the blackwater river. also used to be good for elk and moose around there. Lots of hunters, but hike some deactivations and get into some of the nice fir ridges and you should find something worth shooting. I haven't been there in some time now, so can't confirm that it is still good, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. For white tails I liked the salmon river area, or greg creek

There used to be lots of whitetails around...over the past few years the deer populations, both mule and whitetailed have declined considerably. This prompted the closer of the mule deer antlerless season. I hunted a few old whitetailed deer hot spots last year and couldn't even find a track to save my life. There are still a few pockets but nowhere near how it was 5-6 years ago...

roboto88
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info, I will keep my eyes peeled. I usually hunt the blackwater off the road hiking to get away from road hunters. Walked the top ridge on the north side of the Blackwater but didn't see a track last year. Think this year I will try closer to the river. Heard there were whitetails but never saw one down there just mulies.

fester
11-05-2014, 07:22 PM
old thread but wanted to re-ignite it.

I am only seeing bits of sign down the blackwater. Scant sign at best and mainly on the Tako, any suggestions from anybody.

I would thin they are going to rut pretty quick

250 sav
11-05-2014, 09:15 PM
Spent some time in pg earlier this fall, Bobtail lake had some mulies in the area

Stillhunting
11-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Spent some time in pg earlier this fall, Bobtail lake had some mulies in the area

I saw 50+ mule deer cross the road there, single file, around 10 years ago. They were all does or small bucks, and just when you thought that was it, out came a few more. I've never seen anything like it again.

fester
11-05-2014, 09:49 PM
I have seen some deer sign around there, probably the most I have in the pg area

killman
11-05-2014, 09:53 PM
I spent the day out Saxton lake way and didn't see a damn think. Hiked about 15 km not a thing.

EELK
11-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Tako is filled with too many people road hunting which really sucks because it was dead a few years back, I got a decent wt in 7-10 this year but in a honey hole im not willing to share teehee

fester
11-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Tako is filled with too many people road hunting which really sucks because it was dead a few years back, I got a decent wt in 7-10 this year but in a honey hole im not willing to share teehee

I agree its a great place to go for a walk some of the open areas and in the spring is dynamite for bears but way too many people

fester
11-06-2014, 11:21 AM

I find it nice out that way and it is way closer to home but very little deer sign

swampthing
11-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I am driving from PG to Kamloops on Saturday for a weeks hunt where I know I can see 20 deer a day. I haven't been able to figure out PG deer hunting. Grew up in Loops so I have it all figured out.

fester
11-06-2014, 10:47 PM
I am driving from PG to Kamloops on Saturday for a weeks hunt where I know I can see 20 deer a day. I haven't been able to figure out PG deer hunting. Grew up in Loops so I have it all figured out.

Same here, I know Kamloops very well.

lightmag
11-07-2014, 09:52 PM
I'm seeing good sign, rubs etc..whitetails…east of town.. hoping to connect soon. Tako is still good, get off the roads, hike the fir, the pines, etc… big boys are there…ill be out there wed :) i took a 36" wide 180's buck 2 years ago in there..he would have gone over 200 but had over 20 inches busted off , entire G2 busted off…..(2 years at taxidermy..still waiting on Marty!!) numbers are down yes, but the deer are around

fester
11-08-2014, 02:35 PM
I have not had a chance to go east yet, what general area are you headed?

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Had a thick 2x3 mule stand in front of my kitchen window this moring. Sill buck didn't know I still had a tag open lol

I have seen the odd whitey, but lots of muleys.

lightmag
11-08-2014, 07:31 PM
ill be out tako wednesday morning hiking , when not there I'm east of town near where i just moved… towards tabor mt

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 07:47 PM
ill be out tako wednesday morning hiking , when not there I'm east of town near where i just moved… towards tabor mt

I may head out there tomorrow. I live near west lake so its not to bad of a drive. I will let you know what I see.

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Will bring my predator call with me just in case I don't see anything. Do a little predator control.

markomoose
11-08-2014, 09:51 PM
Whites Landing is decent at times if you don't mind a little more travel?

lightmag
11-08-2014, 10:09 PM
lots of wolves in area :)
B road down near bottom , blocks on left…..again, road hunting will produce nothing.. push pine blocks, get up high where you can see over an area, call and walk .. i know there are a couple 160 plus bucks around there this year and the guy that busted up my 36" wide pig is in there too…..

Will bring my predator call with me just in case I don't see anything. Do a little predator control.

Jesse_01
11-08-2014, 11:23 PM
Maybe I will just go for wolves. I have a deer I skinned and gutted in a bucket in my garage.

killman
11-09-2014, 12:45 AM
I'm seeing good sign, rubs etc..whitetails…east of town.. hoping to connect soon. Tako is still good, get off the roads, hike the fir, the pines, etc… big boys are there…ill be out there wed :) i took a 36" wide 180's buck 2 years ago in there..he would have gone over 200 but had over 20 inches busted off , entire G2 busted off…..(2 years at taxidermy..still waiting on Marty!!) numbers are down yes, but the deer are around
He's to busy being a T.V. Star....lol

Jesse_01
11-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Anyone in PG want a fresh deer hid to tan?

fester
11-09-2014, 12:24 PM
you take one this morning??

Jesse_01
11-09-2014, 12:58 PM
you take one this morning??

A muley 24hrs ago.

fester
11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
nice work!!

BCrams
11-09-2014, 06:44 PM
http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by lightmag http://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/shades_of_green/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1563246#post1563246) I…..(2 years at taxidermy..still waiting on Marty!!)

Might be 4 years for you lightmag! I have a friend who's whitetail is sitting there in its 3rd year.

Jesse_01
11-21-2014, 08:31 AM

Did you ever see anything? I think it was -20 when I woke up that day. Did pancakes and coffee instead.

sdurango41
09-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Thought that I would start this thread again as we are heading up to 7-24 for a moose that one of our guys got drawn for. Also a GOS for spike forks. Hopefully we run into a few moose as the tags seem to be few and far between these past years for our group.

The main reason of my post is to find out what the deer numbers are like North of PG. Are there any mulies to the North? As far north as Carp Lake or along the Salmon River, or the Davie Muskeg Rd? Are there any whitetails in the area? I also see there is elk open in this MU but my guess is that they would be farther east towards the mountains and not even in 7-24???? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Jrax
09-18-2016, 12:14 PM
I saw a bull elk late spring last year on border of 7-14 - 7-24 near the salmon river heading west away from river so its possible. Don't think they are thick in there but you never know, worth to have a tag and try some calls in different areas. Also seen some elk sign in 7-24 and I believe it was also close the the salmon river.

J_06
09-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Pockets of elk all along the salmon river.We had more white tails than mules in our fields pretty much right on the river in north east-ish part of 7-15 but they were around. Id count on seeing mulies that far north though there's no real farmland out that way. Buy a couple of black bear tags and lots of chickens this year from what I've seen from fishing out there all summer. I can't see how a guy could t find a moose with some sort of head gear out that way, it's pretty mosey area. You should do good.

sdurango41
09-19-2016, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys. We have just the one moose tag but there is also a GOS for spike fork. Always more exciting if there are other opportunities in the field. ie. Muleys, elk or white tail. Can't wait to get going. 10 more sleeps!! LOL