PDA

View Full Version : Moose call recommendations

sapper
09-25-2012, 07:25 AM
Is there is a particular mechanical call people would recommend? I've watched Frank Ritcey's moose calling on YouTube but wouldn't mind some mechanical assistance too. Mechanical as in not just me, my hands and mouth. :smile:

Marlin375
09-25-2012, 07:48 AM
A Vogue tabaco tin with a 3ft leather bootlace works. Put some swamp water in the tin and let it drizzle down the boot lace. Pull on bootlace.........simple and effective.

sparkes3
09-25-2012, 09:09 AM
the old can with a boot lace thing ehhh.works great though.

bccanadian
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Try this..............."Here moosey.......here boy.........come out and play":lol:

jhausner
09-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Hehe I've done that before. Yelled out "Come on you f'ing Moose!" after not seeing anything for a few days.

But yah we've used the soup can with a leather lace before. Just cut a small hole in the top of an empty can, thread a leather lace through (flat wide one), and tie it in a not on the outside of the can so the lace hangs down out of the opening.

Then a bit of moisture (water, saliva, whatever) and grab the lace at the top and slide it evenly down to the bottom. Will do a fairly good Moose call and it works. Hunting partner did a few calls with one about 3 years back and had a Cow moose run out of the bush right towards him. Startled the heck out of him, and the cow.

Most buyable Moose calls though are just giant funnels to carry your own voice further.

BiG Boar
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM
youtube is your friend. Learn to do it with a cone of some sort. Definitely loud and you can take it anywhere. Its not the sound that really matters either if you're a bit off.

burger
09-25-2012, 02:30 PM
youtube is your friend. Learn to do it with a cone of some sort. Definitely loud and you can take it anywhere. Its not the sound that really matters either if you're a bit off.

Exactly. I have an old traffic son that I have cut off the ends. Works awesome for projecting.

Marlin375
09-25-2012, 03:05 PM
Exactly. I have an old traffic son that I have cut off the ends. Works awesome for projecting.

Yup the top of an old traffic cone, way less fragile than a piece of birch bark.

Ltbullken
09-25-2012, 03:26 PM
A birch bark call to project? I have great success with simply cupping my hands around my mouth, the end of my index fingers pinching my nose and letting go from the gut with a loud, long mournful "Eeeooooowwwwwaaaahhhhh - huh!". Call 'em in to 20 yds (#whycarryamagnum).

cmarrie
09-25-2012, 04:47 PM
A birch bark call to project? I have great success with simply cupping my hands around my mouth, the end of my index fingers pinching my nose and letting go from the gut with a loud "Eeeooooowwwwwaaaahhhhh - huh!". Call 'em in to 20 yds (#whycarryamagnum).

Yeah, that general techinque had worded for me too- to get that cow sound I was taught to pinch nose while cupping hands around mouth and put tongue to roof of mouth and try to say the letter "A" in a long drawn out wheezy sort of way, and kind of flared out at the end like the "huh" in your call above. Called in bulls with that during the rut.

For the grunt- pretty easy as well- cup hands together around mouth and mimic the grunt sounds on youtube or hunting videos or just a deep "UHH" type sound. Calling should be working good now for the next couple weeks, right after the rut they tend to bunker down and not respond to calls very well. At least that's what I've found when hunting previous years north of P.G. last week of September (rut, active), vs. third week of October (seemed to be post rut timing, slow). No need to buy a mechanical call- would seem to be a pain to carry and pack/unpack, etc. But I'm no expert, seems likes lots of different ways to do it. I tried the pringle can with wide shoelace string- works but again just easier to use hands/voice.

Ltbullken
09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
If there are reasons some sort of other call is needed other than hand/mouth technique, I'd suggest the coffee can and moistened leather cord contraption. It makes a good cow call and you can do short pulls on it for a bull grunt. My brother made one and would keep the cord in the coffee can with a moist cloth to keep it moist with the lid on it. Pull the ord out and start calling. I've toyed with trying that just to try it. I also saw a hollowed wood bellow call with a 'striker' on Wild TV. You drag the striker along the bellow and it sounds like it a decent cow call and do short strikes for a bull grunt. Can't recall the name of it though. Watch some Wild TV and you might see it.

ElliotMoose
09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
All good posts. I would recommend learning the hand/mouth technique as this is how I've enjoyed most of my success, but as mentioned before the can and string contraption will do just fine. A bonus of the can technique is you can fill it with water and slowly let it drip out into a creek, swamp, or lake shore where you are calling and it simulates a cow urinating when mixed in with some calling. This has been productive for me when attempting to bring out call-shy bulls

hunterdon
09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
The tomatoe can and shoe string does work. But, you are quite limited in your calling vocabulary. I would suggest simply going to canadian tire and buy one of those plastic child bats. Those rather big and shorter plastic bats. Cut both ends off to make your cone. Believe me, this works great! I've used it for years with very good results. Use the cone to attract moose from greater distances. When moose get closer, then switch to just hands. This seems to throw the moose off a bit, thinking it misjudge your distance somewhat and that you are actually further than it originally thought. That will usually bring the moose in closer. Especially important for archery hunters. When giving a calf call, I don't use the cone. Calfs are not as strong voiced as adult moose. I also cover the cone with camouflage tape as those bats are usually bright colors. Works real good and cheap!

sapper
09-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Thanks, guys. Great advice here. I think I'm going to be driving Lozzie crazy practicing my call on the way up to 5-01 on Friday night. :) I think I might try fashioning one of these "baseball bat" cones too.

Crimson Viking
09-26-2012, 07:43 PM
I use a self made birch bark call. Made on a rained out day at moose camp. I actually made 2, a smaller one put inside the bigger one , it seems to help distort the sound to give it a more natural effect.
Work well for me, last year called in 3 tri-palm bull in one day. They were all between 25 to 100 yards, clear shots. Too bad it was a spike/fork season, so only shots were with camera. Was a great day none the less.

bccanadian
09-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Don't forget to thrash the bushes a tiny bit if you are going to imitate a SMALL bull during the rut. This will bring in an aggressive larger bull.

twinpeaks3
09-30-2012, 05:59 AM
Cheap big long princess auto funnell. great moose call under 5 bucks, trim small end to size opening you want.no instructional video/cd but as mentioned you tube is your friend .