PDA

View Full Version : How did the heat effect your hunting

Truecraft
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Our group heads north October 5th to chetwynd and area. I'm curious about how successful others have been that have gone before. I haven't heard much one way or the other and wonder if the high temperatures were hindering hunters. I'll be honest I'm hoping that you all have left some for us late starters.
I've study the area in google maps and read every post I can find and now I'm ask for your insight. I've heard of del rio but I'm inclined to head west of Morbley lake and the Bennett dam. There's a river that flows into or out of Morbley lake from the west and a few high lakes around the area as well. I've read other post regarding large native harvesting around Morlbey lake in other years. Are there reservation in the area that would limit access to certain hunting spots? Are elk in the high hills or low land eg. Agriculture land in early October?
I'm mentoring two new hunter this year along with my mentor of 15 years and look forward to passing on this passion we all have to them and their families. 10 days and counting!
Have fun everyone and thanks if your willing to share you insight of the area.

pappy
09-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Temp never bothered my hunting, I got a moose in the middle of August. I went in the afternoon and caught him moving around just before sundown. I got a cow elk in the morning last friday and it was 27 degrees just afternoon with little wind. The leaves are turning and they are crunchy on the ground, good luck.

Ghillie
09-25-2012, 09:20 PM
Good places to go for moose and elk for sure. The heat hindered my hunting this year. Haven't heard a single bull bugle and no Im not road hunting. 20km of walking in the thick early morning last Saturday and still didn't see or hear a thing. I live in Chetwynd and have had a hell of a lot of days out hunting this year and haven't seen any WhiteTails Elk or Moose. Just 3 Muleys. I hope you have better luck than me!
PS. to answer your question about reservations, Moberly lake IS a reservation but not too sure if that would limit the hunting access. If you go past the lake about 10km you will be in the clear for sure. Again goodluck!