PDA

View Full Version : Tulameen Area, Deer Plentiful ?

TylerMc44
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
Just wondering whose all been in the tulameen area and rabbit mountain. how the mule deer looking in that area ? Lots ?

bucket
09-24-2012, 09:42 PM
I had a cabin up there for years.. Always say a fair amount of Mulie traffic for sure. Only one big 4 point buck wandered right through my backyard the day AFTER muley season shut one year. Cheeky!

I actually find the clearings up Lawless close to Ttowns are productive.. look for the girls and then hang around, there's a guy near by.

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 09:43 PM
There is a good population of mule deer in that whole mu. You just have to get out a search! Im sure if you go there you will do good ! Happy hunting and be safe!

bucket
09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
Yes thats right, I forgot to mention.. Get out of the truck in that area.

Steeleco
09-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Last May long weekend me and the kids saw over 300 deer in the hills and fields above town, this year 20. Normally there are lots, but this year seems devoid at least in our days in there.
Doesn't mean I too won't be trying to find a buck in the weeks to come!!!

NorthShoreX
09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Last May long weekend me and the kids saw over 300 deer in the hills and fields above town, this year 20. Normally there are lots, but this year seems devoid at least in our days in there.
Doesn't mean I too won't be trying to find a buck in the weeks to come!!!

There is a new mining road (existing FSR's being joined together) being pushed through that area. It goes from the coal mine above Coalmont to the Briton Creek rest area on the Coq. It's pretty bad looking in the areas the road is, that could explain part of the drop in deer numbers.

Iron Glove
09-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Will be up at the cabin the week of Thanksgiving to take advantage of the coinciding Mule deer Bucks and White - Tail Antlerless openings.
Wish me luck and ask me later how we did.
There have been lots of does out back of the cabin upsetting the dogs and a few bucks roaming around higher up.

city hunter
09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Will be up at the cabin the week of Thanksgiving to take advantage of the coinciding Mule deer Bucks and White - Tail Antlerless openings.
Wish me luck and ask me later how we did.
There have been lots of does out back of the cabin upsetting the dogs and a few bucks roaming around higher up.where the white tail hang round ? I just saw mule deers but would like to go with kid for youth hunt later,pls pm me if possible,thanks !!!!

Leaseman
09-25-2012, 08:52 AM
There is a new mining road (existing FSR's being joined together) being pushed through that area. It goes from the coal mine above Coalmont to the Briton Creek rest area on the Coq. It's pretty bad looking in the areas the road is, that could explain part of the drop in deer numbers.

Over $4,000,000.00 going into the road.... followed by $1,500,000.00 (IIRC) for snow removal/road grading/clearing equipment......

They are going to be running 48 huge ore trucks all day when complete, add in the silver mine running, plus they are hauling logs out from the 68k mark......

This road will now be open year round, started this last year, only was shut down 4 days during winter which is huge!!! Numbers of animals seen are waaaay down, animals are moving around and pushed back......

This are use to be great for Mulies, still is good, but you really have to work for them now. I have hunted the area for roughly 30 years, just had my sons last youth hunt there as he just turned 18....

I like the area for a long day trip, but will push a little farther north for anything long going ahead......

Mike

wildcatter
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
I was hiking up Illal Meadows on the weekend and met a bunch of guys quadding in the area, one said the Lawless Creek road has been de-activated and can't drive in.
Anybody has more info on this?

swampdonkey
09-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Over $4,000,000.00 going into the road.... followed by $1,500,000.00 (IIRC) for snow removal/road grading/clearing equipment......

They are going to be running 48 huge ore trucks all day when complete, add in the silver mine running, plus they are hauling logs out from the 68k mark......

This road will now be open year round, started this last year, only was shut down 4 days during winter which is huge!!! Numbers of animals seen are waaaay down, animals are moving around and pushed back......

This are use to be great for Mulies, still is good, but you really have to work for them now. I have hunted the area for roughly 30 years, just had my sons last youth hunt there as he just turned 18....

I like the area for a long day trip, but will push a little farther north for anything long going ahead......

Mike. That's going to be crazy up there whoa

Whonnock Boy
09-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I was hiking up Illal Meadows on the weekend and met a bunch of guys quadding in the area, one said the Lawless Creek road has been de-activated and can't drive in.
Anybody has more info on this?
Yes, that is what I have been told as well. Cannot even get quads up there.

Iron Glove
09-25-2012, 02:18 PM
where the white tail hang round ? I just saw mule deers but would like to go with kid for youth hunt later,pls pm me if possible,thanks !!!!

The White -tails tend to be closer to Princeton.

mikeman20
09-25-2012, 02:50 PM
I was there on the weekend, did alot of walkin on boulder mountain (the next mountain over) and saw plenty of does, but no bucks let alone a 4point. Still was very warm so im not worried about not seeing bucks

I usually would spend time near lawless but after hearing about the road it sounds like staying away was a good idea

BCptown
09-25-2012, 03:35 PM
that area used to be great hunting but every hunter in the lower mainland has a honey hole up in that area! be prepared to run into a lot of hunters along the fsr's beginning oct. 1st

swampdonkey
09-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Try behind the rifle range or cook creek

nano
09-25-2012, 04:12 PM
It's true about the deactivation and it's deep. It will be nice to get out and walk

MerrittBow
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
quads are going through but no trucks

Steeleco
09-25-2012, 04:25 PM
Wow, looks like the area is off my radar now. Can you at least get into Murphy lakes on the Lawless?

nano
09-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow, looks like the area is off my radar now. Can you at least get into Murphy lakes on the Lawless?
That you can it's the deactivation is at the split on lawless main and lawless creek. You can still head towards otter lake. Hope this helps

Steeleco
09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks Nano, so a guy can still make it into Tulamean along the main?

city hunter
09-26-2012, 12:15 AM
The White -tails tend to be closer to Princeton.ok,thanks !!!

Iron Glove
09-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks Nano, so a guy can still make it into Tulamean along the main?

That's what I was wondering too - I've heard nothing about Lawless FSR itself being deactivated. It's basically a local "highway". Certainly wasn't deactivated last month when I went through ?? The Tulameen Community Club surely would've notified us if it was.
Sure would cut down on all those people from Langley coming up the Coq. tho'.
:wink:

Iron Glove
09-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Try behind the rifle range or cook creek

Actually the rifle range itself usually has a number of mulies walking around in it. I hate it when I'm sighting in and the buggars walk in front of the target. Oh, the temptation. :twisted:

swampdonkey
09-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Actually the rifle range itself usually has a number of mulies walking around in it. I hate it when I'm sighting in and the buggars walk in front of the target. Oh, the temptation. :twisted: ya those aren't the smartest deer around can you still get to pike that way

Iron Glove
09-26-2012, 10:51 AM
ya those aren't the smartest deer around can you still get to pike that way

I haven't personally tried it but my hunting buddy said that last year he made it through in his Sammy.
I was lucky - the last buck I shot was maybe 5 minutes past the gun club. 10 minute ride back to the cabin, gawd I like being a lazy road hunter.

swampdonkey
09-26-2012, 10:55 AM
I haven't personally tried it but my hunting buddy said that last year he made it through in his Sammy.
I was lucky - the last buck I shot was maybe 5 minutes past the gun club. 10 minute ride back to the cabin, gawd I like being a lazy road hunter.

Your giving away all your secrets .It is nice up in there used to hunt it all the time they sure have logged that area hard though boulder has produced some nice deer over the past few years

Steeleco
09-26-2012, 04:46 PM
That's what I was wondering too - I've heard nothing about Lawless FSR itself being deactivated. It's basically a local "highway". Certainly wasn't deactivated last month when I went through ?? The Tulameen Community Club surely would've notified us if it was.
:wink:
No it won't, we'll just have to road hunt our way in the long way LOL

nano
09-26-2012, 04:57 PM
:wink: sorry if I confused anyone, you can still go to tulammen from lawless. The road that I am talking about is a branch road that takes you to a whole bunch of cutblocks on mt spearing

Whonnock Boy
09-26-2012, 05:20 PM
The one I am talking about is the Lawless burn. It, if memory serves me right, is called lawless fsr.

pikey
09-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Was at Lawless last weekend,hadn't been there for a few years and it has changed a lot.

You get the option of Lawless FSR North or South, South takes you to Tulameen, its open and fine.

North takes you to the burn, its been de-activated and they have done a good job, deep holes and bridges removed etc.

Iron Glove
09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Was at Lawless last weekend,hadn't been there for a few years and it has changed a lot.

You get the option of Lawless FSR North or South, South takes you to Tulameen, its open and fine.

North takes you to the burn, its been de-activated and they have done a good job, deep holes and bridges removed etc.

Is that the spur that takes you to the back side of Boulder ??

coquitlam
09-27-2012, 02:25 PM
I heard last year talk about closing that road due to the burn and the potential of trees falling and killing people.. Just what I was told

Blainer
09-27-2012, 02:51 PM
I came thru Lawless from Tulameen to Coq. yesterday
No sign of any deactivation
Very warm 3 days
13 doe & 1 spike
Need weather to change

Elkhound
09-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Going to the cabin this weekend. Good to know the main is ok to get to Tulameen

pacificsparky
09-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Up lawless area couple weeks ago lots of other hunters not too much game, seen couple bears seen the tail of a couple muleys and then right off the coalmont highway seen a monster 4 point....the lawless fsr is deactivated north of 16k not affecting tulameen-britton creek. walked 10 k up north road past deactivation point, still is accesible to quads tho everyone one and there dog is rippin thru there, did see two other hunters walking tho who hadnt seen a thing