PDA

View Full Version : Mu 4-7

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Well it has been decided! My brother in law and I are heading to mu 4-7 near creston for the second week of october.We are going to be hunting for whitetail bucks and doe, and also mulie bucks too!! what I was wondering is if it would be a good ideaa for one of us to have an elk tag seeing as it is open for six point or better..... If so should we try calling for elk if we decide to hunt them or is it to late in the season for them to be buguling??

one more question would this be considered west or east kootenays??? We are planning on camping in the first nice open area on the side of maryland forest service road.

goatdancer
09-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Does it really matter if it's east or west kootenays???????????

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 06:22 PM
No it doesnt really matter. My brother in law was asking me and I didnt know the answer and was wondering if anyone could help me answer his question thats all. I guess you could just call it curiosity hahaha:-P

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 07:38 PM
anything at all??

Bc Deer Hunter
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Id say your in the west coots, and try calling for sure from what i have heard it is only going to get better :shock:

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 07:57 PM
thanks bc deer hunter! I will try calling!!

Is there a good number of whitetails around that area? Just wondering cause it would be nice to bag a doe as Ive never harvested a whitetail before.

Bc Deer Hunter
09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
You betcha!! Whitetails are crawling all around there, and i did not fully read your post before, elk will definatly be harder to call in by the 2 week of october but there is still chance because of the second estrous cycle for cows that weren't bred the first cycle, it's usually a weaker rut. For calling you would want to give a couple cows bleats in a squence if you manage to get a bull to bugle then give a couple more cow bleats then give him a returing bugle! Hope that helps a bit, have a great trip!!

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks again bc deer hunter youve been a great help and hopefully Ill be able to post some pics when we return!!

pierogi
09-24-2012, 08:29 PM
I just came back from that area, I only had about a day. Almost got big 6 point elk elevation was 1700m above sea level. If I was camping there for few days he would be mine for sure. There was few hunters but not too many. Also saw 1 whit tail buck 3 point and big Mule Buck 4 point bunt for not long enough to shoot. If you have time go East of Creston, If hou have pleanty of time to spare Flathead is the Place

All the best

Jason Melo
09-24-2012, 09:00 PM
how was the doe population of whitetail around there pierogi?? feel free to pm if you want to

pierogi
09-25-2012, 10:45 PM
There was few but not overwhelming, only one grouse. Does you could see them any time of the day, the white tail buck I saw at around 1pm, Elk was late in the day past 6pm Mule Buck was around 3pm. If you stay in that area for few days you will get what you want

Jason Melo
09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks alot!!!! I will be there for six days so hopefully I get something!!

16ga
09-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Definitely get an Elk tag, you should be able to call, it has been hot here so not much action for the early rut.