PDA

View Full Version : region 8 black bear

gibblewabble
09-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Just wondering if anyone's seen much for black bear lately in the north okanagan. Been looking for over a week for my son and only seen week old scat and I'm wondering if the dry weather has pushed them down low.

jjpaulis
09-24-2012, 11:18 AM
I've seen a few out hwy 33 from kelowan . I don't kow it that helps you

gibblewabble
09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks, the only somewhat fresh sign I've seen was on the Aberdeen plateau so maybe I'll work my way down there.

hunterdon
09-24-2012, 01:13 PM
I've seen lots of black bears in the north Okanagan, even this year. I pretty much take a bear every year. You won't find many blacks up in the high country these days. Years ago, (20 Plus), there was lots of black bear up high. Not anymore, just the odd one. That's because, the grizzly population has increased dramatically since then. Grizzlys kill and eat blackies.

So, your best bet is to hunt down low. Preferably private land such as farms or near these lands. I suggest you ask very nicely to some of the local farmers for permission to hunt bear. Especially if you hunt with a bow. Some are not to keen on rifle hunting, although some don't mind. I say this because, lots of folks don't like having many bears too close to home. They may not be to eager to let you hunt deer, but many are happy to reduce the bears around their house. I have permission to hunt several farms. And, they are extremely grateful when I down a bear on their land. Land to watch is when they harvest the sileage corn, which is about now. When they do, you will see lots of blackies.

Who knows. If you do find a willing land owner, and if you do take a bear, he may be quite happy and let you also hunt deer. Works for me.

GoatGuy
09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
We've got them around the house, eating off everybody's fruit trees.

waistdeep
09-24-2012, 01:50 PM
In West Kelowna my daughter had one large bear look into her patio door window while they were watching TV. I am sure many of her neighbours would welcome you in the Rose Valley area :)

Gunner
09-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Loads of bears in the Shuswap valley,they're living in the uncut corn fields and checking the river for salmon.I saw 1/2 dozen in farm fields this weekend past.Gunner

gibblewabble
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd love to take one with my bow but my son is the one that wants one and that is the problem with this area and so much of the land being private down low. Was hoping to find some up high but figured that would be hard due to the dry vegetation up high, I see lots up high in the spring and hardly any sign of grizzly on Aberdeen. Guess I should have stopped at the corn fields on my way out to Trinity valley yesterday which is how I used to hunt bear when I lived in the lower mainland. Thanks guys just hate asking for permission to hunt.

hunterdon
09-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Then if private is out of the question, I would suggest to stay in the lower elevations. Bear are often up in the higher reaches in spring as they go to den up in the higher elevations. Anyways, I think your best option is to hunt the roads/trails near bodies of water (lakes, creeks, rivers) in the lower elevations. That 's where the better berries will be, especially in this dry time. I'm thinking sugar lake, shuswap river areas, if that works for you. That's my 2 cents worth anyways.
Good luck to you and your son!

358mag
09-24-2012, 08:45 PM
We've got them around the house, eating off everybody's fruit trees.
Same problem with the Mule deer in the hood

wrenchhead
09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Find berry patches up Aberdeen and the bears won't be far. Should be no shortage up there.

Jduncalfe
09-25-2012, 12:04 AM
In West Kelowna my daughter had one large bear look into her patio door window while they were watching TV. I am sure many of her neighbours would welcome you in the Rose Valley area :)

That's funny. We are around the corner from you on the other side of Diamond View and same thing. Wife is on the treadmill the other morning and Blackie was up on the lower deck peaking in the basement! They are all over the place here right now.