PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a wolf

metroplex
09-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm no fan of wolves, just like most others around here, but in all seriousness, what do you do with one after a kill? Is it just for the pelt? Is the meat any good? I've pass on the opportunity because I didn't really know what to do after taking a shot. Thanks.

Spy
09-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Shoot first ,if it has a nice hide skin it out ! Grind up meat & make sausages & pepperoni !

gcreek
09-23-2012, 10:29 PM
Make sure you use lots of garlic.

shadow1982
09-23-2012, 10:34 PM
i dont think i could eat a wolf, too close to a dog.. lol

but like spy said.. shoot first and then see if its a keeper... the way i look at it.. i just saved a deer

The Dude
09-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I've never had one actually in the crosshairs......always Rocket Wolves is what I see (My reptation precedes me, I think :D )

Pelts are awesome, wouldn't touch the meat with a 10 foot Ceremonial Dip net.
If it's in an area you frequent, you save about a truckload of mixed game for every wolf you hammer, so have at er.
if you shoot one and don't want the pelt, PM me.

proguide66
09-23-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm no fan of wolves, just like most others around here, but in all seriousness, what do you do with one after a kill? Is it just for the pelt? Is the meat any good? I've pass on the opportunity because I didn't really know what to do after taking a shot. Thanks.

After you take the shot , take another one at another wolf and another at another wolf....you will soon figure out what to do with them ,:wink:

rides bike to work
09-24-2012, 06:46 AM
I think most taxi wil actually buy the pelt off you same as a bear hide

Brambles
09-24-2012, 08:08 AM
wolves carry disease that can be passed on to humans, make sure you carry latex or nitrile gloves to handle them, gut, skin, portage etc etc.

Darksith
09-24-2012, 08:11 AM
there is a bounty on a wolf skull offered by the GOABC I have been told. Not sure about it being available to us commoners though. Also if you know someone who is a guide or has a trapline, Im pretty sure they will be able to collect said bounty and or sell the hide for you.

Good2bCanadian
09-24-2012, 08:28 AM
45 minutes of skinning, $125 bucks at the taxi.
This is what I did with my first wolf.
Told my 4yr old it was a dinosaur.http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/DSCF0978.jpg

Jetboat
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Skin a wolf and I don't think the thought of eating one will even remotely cross your mind ;)

pappy
09-24-2012, 08:57 AM
I got one so I sent it to my taxi, I hope the pic works.http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s467/vi-pappy/021_zpsc57f9a49.jpg

Good2bCanadian
09-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Looks good Pappy. I'm getting mine done as well.

Mr. Dean
09-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Put it this way.
If a shooter doesn't want it, someone else SURELY will.

rred
09-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Told my 4yr old it was a dinosaur.http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x415/mikesmith7/DSCF0978.jpg

Thats a Gnarly lookin Skull!

The Dude
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I heard Big Boar has some good Dog recipes. PM him, he'll totally help you out.

09-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Chow Mien ........ have a Chinese family for dinner and CHOW down ..... no preservatives .... NICE !

CT

riflebuilder
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM

to quote the Swamp people guy "CHOOT EM CHOOTEM"

J-Man
09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Told my 4yr old it was a dinosaur.

Show it to a dog, last time we brought on back my buddies Germ Shep ran and hid under the bed.

MountainMan#1
09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
theres lots of deer out there, if you not gonna use it for anything then dont shoot the thing.

skibum
09-24-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't know sometimes I think the first post in this thread should be "Hi I am from PETA. What do you *******s do after you kill a harmless wolf? Please list the cruel things you do, I know I only have two posts but......"

But then again when I first started hunting I guess I might have had similar questions. Getting old and grizzled I guess

metroplex
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
I don't know sometimes I think the first post in this thread should be "Hi I am from PETA. What do you *******s do after you kill a harmless wolf? Please list the cruel things you do, I know I only have two posts but......"

But then again when I first started hunting I guess I might have had similar questions. Getting old and grizzled I guess

I meant the first post in a completely serious way. Are they good eating? Are the hides worth anything?

I didn't know, that's why I asked - I'm not sure what you do when you have a question.

kelmore
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
keep asking questions its the only way you will learn. Dont worry about the odd guy who gives you grief and remember to take most of what you read with a grain of salt. you might want to buy a big bag of it

Tenacious Billy
10-01-2012, 05:14 PM
I can only imagine how horrific a wolf would taste....the way they smell on the outside, nevermind once you're skinning them out, is something to behold......

Darksith
10-01-2012, 05:32 PM
theres lots of deer out there, if you not gonna use it for anything then dont shoot the thing.

I was working at a CO's house a while back, he would disagree with that statement. The CO's are actively trapping wolves around kamloops due to them decimating the deer population in some areas (skull mountain)

Mr. Dean
10-02-2012, 01:45 AM
The CO's are actively trapping wolves around kamloops...

Yup.

And all the way on up to Clearwater, too.
In many areas right now, the wolf/pred populations are getting out of control, endangering multiple species.

Sometimes killing is a means of Conservation.
And if reading that makes a persons head spin, then you need to look further into that concept.

Leave the feelings at the door and be rational at the decision making....

whitetailsheds
10-02-2012, 07:41 AM
This is what I did with my first wolf. The rest haven't had the honour of getting on the wall.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/wolftaxi3.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/wolftaxi2.jpg

Allen50
10-02-2012, 08:23 AM
This is what I did with my first wolf. The rest haven't had the honour of getting on the wall.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/wolftaxi3.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/wolftaxi2.jpg

nice head mount, looks good,, i would never eat the meat or make sausage or pepperoni out of it, lrave it for the birds,, the skull and hide would be worth keeping, and you do need rubber glover to handle it,, dont get the blood on your hands if you have a cut or anything,, you can get very sick,, any way if you get the chance get the wolf, you will save deer and other wild life,,, good luck,,

Mr. Dean
10-02-2012, 09:39 AM
This looks familure...

I got one so I sent it to my taxi, I hope the pic works.http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s467/vi-pappy/021_zpsc57f9a49.jpg

Different dog, same pose.
Looks like the same creator....

Did Ray do yours for ya Pappy?

http://api.photoshop.com/v1.0/accounts/93c183238c264b21aebf84403f631f01/assets/41d82c64d9c544a9b2e0fa7bac0d870a/renditions/1024.jpg?md=1308170914000

BigfishCanada
10-02-2012, 10:26 AM
The wolf packs near my cabins are growing faster than I would have ever expected. I have never gotten a shot off cause they run like you wouldn't believe! I know the ranchers are telling me its hurting business, so If I can get one, I will

Mr. Dean
10-02-2012, 10:48 AM
The wolf packs near my cabins are growing faster than I would have ever expected. I have never gotten a shot off cause they run like you wouldn't believe! I know the ranchers are telling me its hurting business, so If I can get one, I will

Ain't that the truth!
Just getting a crack at one is nearly a miracle.

Hunting for them won't put their #'s in jeopardy, not with the regulations and methods that are placed upon us. Pretty much, the VAST majority that DO get shot, are done incidentally.... So don't lose sleep thinking that taking one will lead to; A Species In Peril.

And when one finds that they DID succeed, pass the animal to someone that wants it or get it tanned, rugged, or mounted. I have YET to find someone that didn't find any of my collection, interesting, one one level or another,,,, especially, kids.

This year I'm trading in my days of deer hunting for pred hunting in January.
Here's to hopes of my success!

Cheers!!!

one-shot-wonder
10-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Shoot first and skin out hide to not waste it. Then decide if you want to keep it and take to taxi, otherwise you can find buyers in the trade and I also heard Guide outfitters (GOABC) were paying for wolf skull submissions, to help promoote the harvest of the beasts. Not sure if its true or not.

Glenny
10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
wolves carry disease that can be passed on to humans, make sure you carry latex or nitrile gloves to handle them, gut, skin, portage etc etc.

Something about some kinda larva that gets under your skin. Sounds nazty.