PDA

View Full Version : how to get into placer/ flat top mountain

Karl
09-23-2012, 08:53 PM
hello out there im trying to find a way to get into the placer or flat top mountain ranges from highway 3.... has anyone ever been up into the apline up there? has anyone seen anything decent up there? does anyone know how to access this area from highway 3? any information would be appreciated.

Jagermeister
09-23-2012, 09:18 PM
1.2 km east of Eastgate, Paysayten FSR. Keep left after the 6th switchback. This takes you over to the Similkimin River. There is a crossing that takes you across and up the mountain. Road ends about 4 km short of Placer Lake.
Codicil: I cannot tell you what the road or crossing condition and you proceed at your own peril.

bc_buckshot
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Attempted to go up placer. Truck forget it not in this life time. Quad had a lot of trouble. A lot of scary moments and some steep parts would even attempt to turn around because you will roll. My uncle took his horses and again hard but made it. He said he won't do it again to risky. They did a lot of logging while back really messed the roads up. Deactivated parts, logs all over the place.

silvertipp
09-23-2012, 11:08 PM
forget the paysayton river ,rd does not come close to placier,you can come in off the copper creek rd & start a long hike or come in from the ashanola side ,short hike into trapper lake ,and there is a good trail up the flat head all alpine country closed to motor vehicles

The Dude
09-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Wow...now this makes ME wanna go!

bcfarmer
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Ashnola road is closed at 39km for bridge replacement until the 29th......long walk from there

dabat
09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
I drove right to the Placer Lake on Saturday, road is very rough from the parking area sign to lake but doable. Didn't see much for deer in that area, lots of clearcutting happening.

GoatGuy
09-24-2012, 09:44 AM
Make sure you check the hunting regs - NMV year round up top.

Weatherby Fan
09-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Make sure you check the hunting regs - NMV year round up top.

Yes most all that area is NMV, one of the reasons I like the area,but lately alot of people breaking the rules,a little disheartening when you backpack into an area only to have an ATV pass you !

GoatGuy
09-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes most all that area is NMV, one of the reasons I like the area,but lately alot of people breaking the rules,a little disheartening when you backpack into an area only to have an ATV pass you !

There were lots of quad tracks in that country this summer and a nice gutpile that had been rotting for a while as well.

OutWest
09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
There were lots of quad tracks in that country this summer and a nice gutpile that had been rotting for a while as well.

Not surprising as we all know who goes up there first.

tim3500
09-24-2012, 05:26 PM
I know were Iam going !

silvertipp
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
I drove right to the Placer Lake on Saturday, road is very rough from the parking area sign to lake but doable. Didn't see much for deer in that area, lots of clearcutting happening.
the rd to placier lake has been open all year,some good fishing to be had
but your a long ways from placier mtn alpine,in amongst all that clearcutting is some nice deer,my son shot one earlier this year
but as already stated the earlier you get in there the better

Steelpulse
09-20-2016, 12:31 PM
An updates more recent from this area?

dino
09-20-2016, 01:53 PM
An updates more recent from this area?

Ya, there is one less 4 point up there.

Weatherby Fan
09-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Ya, there is one less 4 point up there.

Pictures or it didn't happen !

Treed
03-17-2020, 11:49 PM
I wouldn’t want to pass someone on an ATV in an NMV carrying a GUN.

HarryToolips
03-18-2020, 06:39 AM
1.2 km east of Eastgate, Paysayten FSR. Keep left after the 6th switchback. This takes you over to the Similkimin River. There is a crossing that takes you across and up the mountain. Road ends about 4 km short of Placer Lake.
Codicil: I cannot tell you what the road or crossing condition and you proceed at your own peril.
What he said.....

http://i.imgur.com/xHRdOFa.jpg (https://imgur.com/xHRdOFa)

http://i.imgur.com/Sq3IF5G.jpg (https://imgur.com/Sq3IF5G)

GEF
03-18-2020, 08:03 AM
You are talking placier lake right ?You can drive right to the lake just go in placier copper creek fsr or you can go Calcite/Baby buggy pick up the marked trail. You guys seriously need to read a map .You can hike there from the Pasayten about 8 k and a no bridge river crossing and hike right by the road on Calcite .OR YOU CAN GO WAY SOUTH AND WALK BACK BUT WHY WHEN THE ROAD GOES TO THE LAKE AND THE TRAIL HEAD .Short hike .I have a cabin in Eastgate and live there half the year. I actually saw a Honda car at the lake one time .Kids camped at the lake.The area south has been burned off by 3 major fires .Last one was 2018 and they have removed all the standing dead and left over good trees last winter so it is a moonscape now .

boxhitch
03-18-2020, 08:54 AM
Nice pics Harry. Are those areas green or burnt now?

GEF
03-18-2020, 09:04 AM
All burnt off,Came over from the Cool creek fire and from the 2018 Diamond creek fire

HarryToolips
03-18-2020, 08:51 PM
Nice pics Harry. Are those areas green or burnt now?
Thanks dude....pics from 2018, I don't recall hearing of any fires in the area since then??

HighCountryBC
03-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Thanks dude....pics from 2018, I don't recall hearing of any fires in the area since then??

There's been several.

Diamond Creek 2017
Cool Creek 2018
Placer 2018
Snowy 2018

GEF
03-19-2020, 08:56 AM
Placier ,Snowy, Cool creek and the 2006 Tatoosh all overlapped .That being said there is a lot standing burnt timber that was logged off last winter and will be on going .Some of the areas have burnt several times in a 10 year period so it is looking like a moonscape in a lot of the area that held mule deer and moose.Not many timber pockets left as they are logging those as well.The cool creek fire was mostly first growth timber so a major loss.That is why it burned so hot.It basicly burnt from the Ashnola to the Pasayten and south to the border and Diamond creek burned from the south, northerly over the old 2006 Tatoosh burn and joined the others.

albravo2
03-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Cool area, we explored it pretty extensively about 8 years ago. Didn't see a lot of critters but made the mistake of passing on a coyote so I didn't spook the deer. Won't do that again.

Placer lake was a great place to learn to fly fish, lots of fish in there.

limit time
03-19-2020, 10:08 AM
Watch out for the “mules” smuggling drugs and guns across the boarder.

Steelpulse
03-19-2020, 11:10 AM
I have hunted the area in last couple seasons. 1 Trip a year type thing to scout. Half the area is Scorched earth and half is growing up a bit. Have seen a couple spikes in the last two seasons one I shot. Game cam hasn’t picked up anything other than some smaller bucks spike fork horns in the last 2 years

boxhitch
03-19-2020, 01:26 PM
Would be good if some of that was seeded to grass and natural regen instead of lumber pine

https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dataset/fire-perimeters-historical
look at BC Gov Tile Cache and pan around to Flat Top Mtn
Check the Satellite tab, but its not clear when the pic was taken

drakfero
03-19-2020, 10:24 PM
Good place to hunt wolves, they ate lots of animals from there , that’s why you see many in Princeton and farms around the city..

BCoutdoordad
10-03-2021, 09:38 PM
Great pics Harry Toolips
I took my son around this area this weekend
I’m going to plane a hike to this area soon.

browningboy
10-03-2021, 11:10 PM
Placier ,Snowy, Cool creek and the 2006 Tatoosh all overlapped .That being said there is a lot standing burnt timber that was logged off last winter and will be on going .Some of the areas have burnt several times in a 10 year period so it is looking like a moonscape in a lot of the area that held mule deer and moose.Not many timber pockets left as they are logging those as well.The cool creek fire was mostly first growth timber so a major loss.That is why it burned so hot.It basicly burnt from the Ashnola to the Pasayten and south to the border and Diamond creek burned from the south, northerly over the old 2006 Tatoosh burn and joined the others.

we will be at your neighbours starting Wednesday, maybe see you around!