PDA

View Full Version : Gun goes bang under extremely low temp?

rollingrock
11-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Wondering at what temperature the gun won't bang? Anyones have ever fired their guns at -25 celsius?8)

Will
11-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Guns will Fire as long as the Pin can Fall and strike the Primer.....
FWIW: we've shot at the Range at temps approaching -30.
Yep the Guns still Go Bang:)

rollingrock
11-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Guns will Fire as long as the Pin can Fall and strike the Primer.....
FWIW: we've shot at the Range at temps approaching -30.
Yep the Guns still Go Bang:)

:eek: -30?

But again ever tried hunting under that temperature in the field?

Stone Sheep Steve
11-24-2006, 05:08 PM
When it's really cold outside let you're rifle get cold before exposing it to snow as the snow may melt onto your rifle and then freeze soon after potentially freezing in places that may cause grief. Keep your firing pin lubed.

SSS

Gun Dog
11-24-2006, 05:09 PM
I've gone hunting in -20C. As long as it's not windy it's ok.

GoatGuy
11-24-2006, 05:12 PM
-30 + the wind in Saskatbush. You need to worry more about your trigger finger freezing in that kind of weather. Like SSS said oil is required.

Only time I've ever hunted with goggles on! :lol:

Doe See Doe
11-24-2006, 05:17 PM
We were hunting elk up in Dawson Creek, in January, with a temp of -35.
The bullet dropped more than what it usually does when the weather is warmer.
But the guns still fired just fine.
The only problem someone might have at that temp, is that regular gun oil will get so thick that it's difficult to cycle the bolt.
We found that useing silicone dry lube solves the problem.

todbartell
11-24-2006, 05:19 PM
hmmm, I was under the impression that in warmer, more dense air, the bullet drops more than when it does at cold temperatures...

tufferthandug
11-24-2006, 05:21 PM
hmmm, I was under the impression that in warmer, more dense air, the bullet drops more than when it does at cold temperatures...

I thought cool air was more dense than warm air.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-24-2006, 05:22 PM
Warmer air is less dense. That's why hot air balloons go up.

SSS

rollingrock
11-24-2006, 05:23 PM
-35? By reading this I'm feeling the chill in my warm office. :D

The pin is the thing I'm really worried about if I go hunting at that temp. Oh, and my trigger finger too!

But how about starting up the vehicle?

sawmill
11-24-2006, 05:23 PM
Colder air is denser than warm ,which is why warm air rises.Otherwise they would be called Cold Air balloons:smile:

Gun Dog
11-24-2006, 05:32 PM
But how about starting up the vehicle?My gasser is fine but Diesels like a preheat. That's where the generator comes in.

Fluid managment is an issue since most things will freeze up fast. In my trailer the pipes start to freeze around -15C. Lots of ice on the windows in the morning...on the inside. That storm window shrink wrap plastic works pretty good.

Gateholio
11-24-2006, 05:36 PM
If you are noticing bullet drop in cold weather, it is probably more to due to a temp sensitive powder, and you are losing some velocity at ignition...

Will
11-24-2006, 05:37 PM
For really Serious Cold weather Hunting I usually strip the Bolt and wipe ALL the lube off my Firing pin, spring etc.

Oil and lube etc. turns to Goo in Cold weather :|

Stone Sheep Steve
11-24-2006, 05:38 PM
For really Serious Cold weather Hunting I usually strip the Bolt and wipe ALL the lube off my Firing pin, spring etc.

Oil and lube etc. turns to Goo in Cold weather :|
How about a graphite lube??

SSS

Will
11-24-2006, 05:46 PM
How about a graphite lube??

SSS
Yep shoulda added that.
I've actually used and had good results from the dry "powdery" Graphite lubes.
I just don't think that I'm gonna wear my Firing pin out with the 1 or two shots I may take while Hunting so I usually don't bother with any Lube. It Can't freeze and gum up the works if it ain't in there ;)

My rifles do however get Lots of Oil/grease during the "off season" when they are getting much more use working up loads and spending time at the range8)

RiverOtter
11-24-2006, 05:58 PM
The bullet dropped more than what it usually does when the weather is warmer.
But the guns still fired just fine.

The greater bullet drop is more likely due reduced muzzle velocity, as a result of the frigid temperatures affecting case pressure upon firing.

Another reason to confirm your zero for the conditions you are hunting in. Dry lube and a clean action are a must for extreme cold.
I always like the crisp crack of a rifle going off on cold winter day and the coyote that takes a snow nap as a result.:lol:

RO

brno375
11-24-2006, 06:22 PM
But how about starting up the vehicle?

If you have a propane conversion, it sucks.

Rod
11-24-2006, 08:14 PM
I have fired the C6, C7 Service rifle as well as my personal weapon (Browning High Power) at -40 (-95 with the wind chill). All fired fine but had been totally cleaned of all traces of oil.

The rifles had to be handled somewhat carefully because the thin plastic forends were pretty brittle. I nev saw any break when being fired but bang the forend on a skidoo or Komatic and they had a good chance of falling apart.

rocksteady
11-24-2006, 08:22 PM
2 big thumbs up for "dry graphite" alcohol based, evaporates quickly and no sticky problems when yote hunting..

StoneChaser
11-24-2006, 08:42 PM
I've shot down to -38 C without a hitch. I WILL stress however, that you MUST make sure you don't have excessive grease/oil on the firing pin spring. I had an old side by side cost me a great pair of coyotes while I was calling in -35C.... face to face with'em about to give each a full charge of 00 Buckshot when "Click... Click". A faint little dent in each primer is all.

Hardest part about -40 is the skinning... not the shooting (grin).

StoneChaser

BigD
11-24-2006, 08:51 PM
The only story about guns not going off in cold weather that I ever heard was from reading about the Russian front in WW2, but apparently that was because of poor powder that had been exposed to moisture. Other then that it has pretty damn cold sometimes???

ape
11-24-2006, 09:37 PM
I have hunted and killed elk at -28

Avalanche123
11-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Cold air is denser than warm air. This is a little off topic but I shoot a pretty big gun for avalanche control (1055mm recoiless rifle) and our experience has been undershooting our targets (we are talking distances of no less than 1.5km) when the temps are colder. The projectile is definitely affected by the fact the air is denser than when we shoot at when the air temperature is closer to 0C and warmer. I don't see why a rifle wouldn;t be affected in a similar fashion.
The "bullet" drop we experience in shorter distances (1.5km) can be significant (25metres) so perhaps a rifle shot of 200 yards, one could expect to see a bullet drop of extra inches.
On a side note, helicopters perform much better in colder air too as the air is significantly denser. I've flown my paraglider in the winter and the denser air is noticeable.
Temps are going down to -27C this weekend and I am wondering how my bow will perform LOL.

bigwhiteys
11-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Warmer air is less dense. That's why hot air balloons go up.

SSS, Don't let anyone ever tell you aren't a very smart man :)

Happy Hunting!
Carl

ellellbee
11-24-2006, 10:35 PM
Bigwhiteys,
A little off topic but I just noticed... does that deer in your avatar have a goatee?

browningboy
11-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Tried to load up pics of jet boat frozen in fraser river with pics of helicopter flying out, can't figure out to get frames from video!

bigwhiteys
11-24-2006, 11:17 PM
A little off topic but I just noticed... does that deer in your avatar have a goatee?

Nope. He's got a white throat patch though.

Carl

blindbob
11-25-2006, 10:00 AM
When I was in the army we were shooting at minus 40 in Dundurn Sask.I'm sure it was much colder on the Russian front and they kept shooting.

The 'Hummer'
11-25-2006, 11:24 AM
I thought cool air was more dense than warm air.

Correct. Cool air is more dense than warm air.

rollingrock
11-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Well, just got back from one of my spots which is out of Region 2. The gun did go bang, no problem. But the bullet dropped a lot even at 100 yards. The temperature was minus 15 but will get down to almost minus 30 in a couple of days. :eek:

But I was skunked. When I was there a month ago I saw at least 10 deer a day including some really decent ones. I even helped one of my friend get his buck ove there. But everything seemed to have changed since the snow fall. This morning I only counted 4 tracks on snow and didn't see even a piece of hair. I thought they would stick to the river there as the river valley is down low.

eastkoot
11-26-2006, 08:00 PM
http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/bullets_ballastics/density_bullet_performance.htm

Something for all the rocket scientists to read !!!!

30-06
11-26-2006, 08:46 PM
i dunno much about the bang part but i notice when it is cold out therre is less recoil and sound to the bang