PDA

View Full Version : Spenses Bridge Sheep trip

srupp
09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
spent a week at Spenses bridge looking for sheep HOT HOT HOT..summer hot..met a fine member from this site who recognized my truck pleasant visit... nice man..

Found between 50-60 sheep over the course of the week...mostly ewews and lambs..very spread out north south wise.Pretty predictable locations..

As for rams..seen a few..a couple bannana rams, and a 3/4 ram..surprising how far back from the Thompson river the rams were..miles and pretty high up one past Murray Creek rec site!

Lots of black bears 13 or so...the fishing for salmon was good according to the guys who were fishing..

Trip ended when I guess I dumped my quad looking at a new area..last thought was " I thinlk I can make it"..not...woke up glad I HAD been wearing my helmut..and reminding myself to KEEP my SPOT on my body and not in the day box that ended 40 or so feet from the overturned quad.Quad needs a couple minor adjustments tommorrow..lol damage to helmut will remind me to keep wearing it..

Am going back again in Oct..hopefully it will cool off.

Found some really remote camps in some hidey holes.. spent lots of time glassing..they really blend in well in some terrain.

Seen some hunters way back in towards hwy 12?? And a couple crankers of bucks..but shooting a deer would have meant heading home..so did dumping the quad..lol..

All in all fun and informnative..still putting all my GPS locations on the maps..

Steven

landphil
09-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Sound like a pretty close call with the quad incedent, glad it wasn't worse. Sounds like a good, all round adventure.

Big Lew
09-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Fantastic to hear you're 'out and about' again Steve! But it's kind of disturbing to hear you seem to like time in hospital, lol! Your unfortunate spill is a
good wake up call and reminder to all those quad riders we see riding hell bent along without helmets.

Rackmastr
09-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Sounds like a good trip! And ya....its been CRAZY hot this month.....

srupp
09-23-2012, 03:58 PM
It was a good trip...hopefully the temps will cool.....even @ first dawn no rams to be found...must be somewhere?? from Lyton to Venables valley back to hwy 12 lots of space to hide 600 sheep..

as for the rollover..the rd just gave way in a narrow spot...seriously doubt I was more than a couple kms hr speed..snails pace..sheesh doing mjy job for 36 years sh(t happens...glad to be wearing the full face shield helmut...the road rash/slashes will help my future use I hope..

maybe out for a deer hunt this week IF the weather cools down seen 26 CALIFORNIAN bighorns @ 930 this am... while @ work...and a decent mulie...

cheers

Steven

huntingmom
09-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Holy smokes Steve...I'm glad the quad accident turned out minor compared to what could've been. Other than that...sounds like you had once exciting trip.

kennyj
09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Glad you had a good trip Steven. Lots of great country there. I'd never pass up a smoker mulie. I guess I'm not much of a sheep hunter.I might be up there for the last week of the season.Good luck on your next trip.
kenny

fuzzybiscuit
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Glad to hear you made it out ok Steven. Amazing how fast things can go from good to bad.

X2 what Kenny had to say. Hard to pass on a cranker Muley. Still on my bucket list.

rollingrock
09-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Glad that you made out okay! Next time....:-P

Catahoula Ranch
09-23-2012, 11:53 PM
glad you survived...
If your helmet has been damaged, it should be replaced. The structural integrity may be compromised.
cheers.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2012, 05:45 AM
Glad you're okay Steven!

Now, I seem to recall another roll-over, knocked unconscious ATV incident in one of your bear threads?? Sounds like you need to install a roll cage and a 5 point seatbelt.

SSS

popsy
09-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Happy all turned out ok Steven!! Go get em in October

srupp
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
hmmm yes thats 2x in 15 years..both slow motion wrecks..

hmmm Kenny I hope to be there for last week..Acatia campground RV ....down town will be my basecamp...

will look at replacement helmut...

Steven

millman911
09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
It was great to meet and chat with you Steven. I can`t help to feel bad thinking it was one of the road I pointed out for you. I would love to see them big bucks. Glad your ok. pm me when you come this way in Oct. Dan

srupp
09-25-2012, 02:13 AM
10-4 Dan it was my pleasure to meet you, and I did drive by your place en route to the rollover..lol..I will give you a call in the next bit...nice meeting a fellow Paramedic /hunter..and yes we will talk about the mulies..

cheers

Steven