PDA

View Full Version : Just returned from the Northern Rockies

moose2
09-23-2012, 02:28 AM
I had a great solo trip in the mountains last week and wanted to share my story and pictures. I will break it down from day to day to make reading easier. It may take awhile to complete so please check back for more. Enjoy
Mike

Day 1 September 13

The Set Up

I arrived at my camping location late in the afternoon were I was going to set up the wall tent. This was going to be used as a base camp and returned to every three or four days. I had the tent almost standing when MWJ and Combine pilot pulled in from there afternoon hunt on their quads.
They finished helping me unload and set up camp, " thanks guys ". I spent a couple hours that evening preparing my pack and equipment for a five day mountain trip for goats and sheep. I had a light enough pack that I was going to carry my camp with me and would stay wherever I had walked that day.

Day 2

Moose Everywhere

I barely got any sleep that night in anticipation of the upcoming hunt. My alarm was set an hour and half before daylight. When it sounded I sprung from the cot almost landing in my hiking boots. That is when I heard a sheep hunters nightmare hitting the tent. Sure enough there was heavy winds and lots of rain. I hoped for the best, and continued with getting ready. I could get a better look at the weather once it was day light. At day break I could not see the mountain tops, and thought starting a mountain trip soaking wet was not a smart choice. So I decided reluctantly on a camp day. So into rain gear to cut and chop fire wood. I was finished by 9:30am and went into the tent.

About ten minutes went by and I said to myself "what are you doing: get your ass out there and do something". So I put my rifle in the gun boot on the quad. Then I grabbed my knife, bullets, licence, camera, and a multi-tool and threw them in a day pack. Anything else I needed to deal with a moose I had in the quad box. I spent a few hours of looking around on the bike and planning my attack for when the weather cleared, I decided to walk a drainage I always wanted to check. It was still overcast and light rain, but I thought I would look any way. This is when the dynamics of this trip and all my plans were about to change. When I got near the alpine I could see the mountain tops, so away I went to get as high as possible. I had just hit the snow line when I looked back towards the creek bottom.

That looks like a moose, so up with the bino's sure enough a big cow eating in the willows. I took a quick look around and said to myself " how did that piece of plywood get way up here". wait a minute there is a huge moose laying under it. I quickly turned my focus from goats or sheep to this moose. I thought I would head back down for a better look. Once I got to where I figured he was I could not see anything in the four foot high willows. So I stood in a clearing and gave a call, moose started standing everywhere. There were five bulls about 500 yards away I had not seen until now. The largest two about 35" began sparing while the three smaller ones watched. Still no sign of the big guy yet, then two cows stood up a hundred yards ahead of me. That's when I caught a glimpse of antlers in the sub-alpine spruce. The cows moved about thirty yards further from me, this is what sucked the bull into the open. Now a decision for me I was 2.5 hours from the quad trail on foot into a alpine bowl, and I am looking into the eyes of a possible boone and crockett bull moose at 150 yards. He seems big but taking this guy would ruin all my mountain plans. This is also the first day of a twelve day trip what would you folks do? I raised my rifle and thought I should't do this , but to late now BOOM the bull humped up a bit and two more shots had him laying in the willows. As I approached he stood again I put one in his neck and then head hoping not to split the skull. When I got up to him I could't beleive what had just happened and how much work I now had to do. This is what I saw when I got to him.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_030_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27893&title=all-hunting-2012-030-large-&cat=500)

What a great bull! As for making the book I am still not sure, but he looks good and is definitely my largest one.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_032_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27894&title=all-hunting-2012-032-large-&cat=500)

It was now 3:00pm and I figured I had to leave the drainage by 6:00 to be back to the quad before dark. So I started de-boning the meat and carrying it in a sweat shirt about 150 yards to an opening in the creek bottom. This would allow me see the meat when I returned the next day. I did not want to leave any in the willows. I used the shirt because I left the pillow cases in my other pack. "IDIOT" The bulls hide was thick and tough and I was hurrying to get done before 6:00. I don't have to tell you what happened next. I got careless and sliced a 3/4 inch gash in the top of my left thumb. It easily needed stitches, but I didn't have the time or the resources for that, and of course my first aid kit was in the other pack. I was lucky enough to have a few wraps of black tape on my gun barrel, I was able to use. Once the meat was at the creek it was now 6:00 and I still had to take the antlers off, after 10 minutes with a multi-tool saw I figured this won't work at all. So I put toilet paper in my ears and started shooting the skull off with my 300 win mag. Probably not the preferred method for removing a possible boone and crockett moose skull. I was able to get it to work and removed it unharmed.

The walk out with the antlers was a tough one. A fifty five inch moose tied to a day pack with my belt does not fit down a forty inch trail very well. It was full darkness when I hit the bottom and my dog and I both walked right past the quad and had to back track to find it. My light was in the other pack as well. I learned that I should take more time stocking my pack next time. Finally on the quad heading for camp with plans of returning for the meat tomorrow. I drove about 10 minutes of the hour and half drive when I hit the butt end a log that was shadowed by the lights. The steering felt funny but I could keep on the road so I continued on. I got lost on some trail turns for about an hour and had finally found the right trail. I was about 3 km from the tent when my quad slid to a stop. The front wheel had spun around and taken the motor of the winch. I walked beside the bike either kicking the wheel or pulling it out. I went about 1 km this way in over an hour, I decided to leave it and work on it in day light. So my dog and I walked back the 2 km to the tent. We arrived at 2:20 am. I have all this meat to pack and a broken down quad so hopefully once it is daylight I can work something out. I cleaned the skull and measured the antlers it net 203 4/8 green and should hold up for B & C Canadian moose, so this made this long day worth it. It had 7 brow tines on one side and 5 on the other and is 55" wide.

Day 3

The Broken Quad
----------------------- to be continued

The Dude
09-23-2012, 04:21 AM
........it was now 6:00 and I still had to take the antlers off, after 10 minutes with a multi-tool saw I figured this won't work at all. So I put toilet paper in my ears and started shooting the skull off with my 300 win mag.

That laugh was worth the read right there. I can actually picture this! :D

TIKA 300
09-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Great looking moose !!!

Tanya
09-23-2012, 06:05 AM
Nice moose! Great story....awaiting the rest of the adventure.

kennyj
09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Awesome moose! Lots of cool long brow tines on that rack. Funny story.
kenny

Bear Chaser
09-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Great story so far. Nice looking moose too.

WaldoFive
09-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Great moose. Quite an adventure.

moose2
09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
After about three hours of sleep, I woke up at day break eager to get back to the quad. I wanted to see about getting going so I could start retrieving the meat. I met a guy and his kid at the trail head and they offered me a ride into my quad. That was great and very appreciated. I realized in day light what the problem was, when I hit the log I bent both ty-rod arms very badly. Then with all the steering on the rough trail I actually pulled about half the threads off the ty-rod end causing the right wheel to become independent. I was able to take the wheels off undo both rods and was able to beat them strait on a rock with a four pound sledge. I was then able to thread the damaged one way back on till I had about 8 good threads grabbing and then I compensated with other side a bit. I put everything back together and the steering felt great it looked to be good. So off to camp to get the gear I needed for hanging and packing out a moose.
I returned to the drainage and was glad to see nothing touched the meat. I decided that I would only have time for one load today so I would hang the meat in the near by trees. Hunt the area for the rest of the day and head out that afternoon with a load.
I found a nice hanging spot near the creek and I made 7 sacks up between 40 and 70 pounds each. My plan was to take a big sack and a little one for three trips and then pick up the last sack and the rest of my gear on the last load. I like to use two sacks per load that way if I need to take one out to lighten up its easy. I found a nice heavy stick I tied a rope to and I used it like a spear to get the rope over the branches as high as I could. This was working great, then on the fourth one the branches were a bit thicker and I was having a hard time. The stick kept bouncing back so I said to myself " throw harder" so I gave it all I had, but my aim was off. The stick hit the tree trunk and came back like a bullet striking me above the right eye " @#%$# @$%& " that hurt I saw many stars on a sunny day. I finally got the five sacks hung and left two on the ground to pick up later.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_042_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27931&title=all-hunting-2012-042-large-&cat=500)

I did not see another animal in that drainage for two days SURPRISE maybe it had something too do with the 14 shots the day before. lol I carried two loads over two days at a solid 5 hour return trip with about 120 pounds on. Then the third day I camped at the trail head and was able to haul the last two loads out, and I carried them the two hours back to camp in the quad trailer.
Packing went well aside from the normal hazards of this job. Such as sticks in the eye, falling over backwards and felling like a turtle that can not right its self. or falling forward and having the weight of the pack smash your head into the ground. One other one that is common is what I call " scooby doo" creek crossings. Anyone that has hiked out river drainage's with over 100 pounds on know what I am talking about. For those that don't its when you step on the first rock in the creek and your foot slips, so you switch your weight to the next foot that also slips. This cycle continues until your legs are moving 20 miles an hour and your body is not going anywhere. The end result is normally a 9" boot full in about 4 inches of water. I did see a grizzly at the kill site on my last trip so It looks like I got done just in time.

DAY 5

Back to hunting
---------------------- to be continued

Dirty Steve
09-23-2012, 07:49 AM
This sounds like one of my trips... but without the 55inch moose!
Awesome, congrats, pretty funny! We've all been there!

bowhunterbruce
09-23-2012, 07:53 AM
good lord thats a moose and a half, i can't wait to hear the rest of your adventure
congrats big time
bhb

Moosegetter
09-23-2012, 07:55 AM
Nice bull and good story. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Thanks

ramron
09-23-2012, 08:27 AM
That's a cranker of a bull. You might have to change your name to moose 200, that's about what it should score.

popsy
09-23-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the story and great pics!!! I feel sorry about some of your encounters but I couldn't stop laughing. Again great story

stroh72
09-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Now that you finished screwing around for 4 days lets hear about the last 8.......

Brambles
09-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Great moose and story, easy to read and entertaining. Looking forward to the rest!

rocksteady
09-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Good on you for getting a great moose and getting it all out...

I can't imagine how many mental discussions you had with yourself, on your trips back and forth "You dummy, why did you do that?" "Shutup and keep packing"...

I sure hope he is a good eating bull, a tonne of work if it tastes like poo...

Looking forward to the rest of the story....

The Hermit
09-23-2012, 09:06 AM
It is about this oint in the venture that I'd be hitting the SPOT message to Franko Manini to bring backup! LOL Great story looking forward to the rest!

375 ultramag
09-23-2012, 09:07 AM
This is a great story ! Congrats on a nice moose, and it sounds like one - hell-of -a - adventure. My guess is that your dog packs you out after 10 days. Can't wait for the next part!!!

Darksith
09-23-2012, 09:11 AM
I have been immortalized in the dudes sig...Im still laughing about it, thats awesome

oh and great read so far, Im definately gonna be checking back for more bits to this 1...congrats on a massive moose

09-23-2012, 09:32 AM
WOW would best describe your SOLO moose hunt Moose2, yor a crazy man but good on ya, just another story to tell grand kids some day. Good your not hurt to bad, you can fix the quad, and go back for sheep ........ thanks for the story and cool pic's

CT

Jehiah
09-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Best read so far this year. Funny and successful - refreshing to hear the realities of hunting. Sounds like you and your best friend had a memorable experience.
Thanks!

swampdonkey jr.
09-23-2012, 09:45 AM
congrats on the bull man! hope i can get my first bull this year, seeing this just gets me to excited for october

Jagermeister
09-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Tell me, is that a Polaris ATV?
That is a pretty good sized moose, that's for sure.

moose2
09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
No Jager
It was a 2000 yamaha kodiak 400, but I was able to repair it and finish the trip.
I will add to this story some more tonight.
Mike

Bc Deer Hunter
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Largest bull i have seen on this site hands down :shock: Congratulations on a tank of a bull moose!!

coach
09-23-2012, 07:38 PM
That's one incredi-bull moose, Mike! :smile: Great story and pics. You sound like one crazy tough SOB! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait till the next chapter. Keep it coming!

BlacktailStalker
09-23-2012, 07:43 PM
I can only imagine what's next, living the dream up there that's for sure, what a toad of a moose.

bucket
09-23-2012, 07:44 PM
As I started reading your post I was thinking to myself, "maybe you should rethink your position on solo hunting" -- and by the end im thinking to myself "nah, safety in numbers" LOL

Beaut of a Moose man. Good on you!

lostindian
09-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Awesome moose congrats to you! an awesome story as well!

Hammerhead
09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Great story. Hell of a lot of work for one guy on a Cranker moose. Yup pull the trigger and the work starts. Congrats on a great moose and looking forward to the rest of the story
HH

moose2
09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
DAY 5

After twenty five hours of hauling moose over three and a half days. I decided not to set the alarm and I could sleep in if I wanted. I thought this would also give the dog some time to catch up. All the moose was now back at base camp so I spent part of the morning double cheese clothing all the meat sacks. The weather was getting really warm so going on a 5 day trip was not an option now. So I decided I would go over night and check back on the meat mid afternoon the next day. So I loaded the quad trailer and the dog and headed to a drainage to look for goats. The ride was about an hour so when I arrived I set the pup tent up in case I had another late night. I loaded my pack on with some gear,lunch a few extra clothes and everything to process an animal properly this time.
I was getting ready to walk so I said to the hound "lets go." Her ears lifted and tail wagged then she got up and walked right into the tent and sat on my sleeping bag. So I told her to stay and away I went. I was about an hour into my walk and working myself up the mountain so I could see better. When all of a sudden my dog appeared I guess she changed her mind. We continued on another couple hours it was now near 5:00 so I thought I should start heading back. Just about the time I was going to turn I saw movement on the side hill across the ravine. I put up the bino's and spotted two bull caribou at about 300 yards. The one looked to be legal, but I pulled out the scope to be sure. His right side was good with 7 points on top and his left only had three. The other bull was a long spike only. I was hoping for a bull I would like to get mounted, and this one was not it. So I had a bite to eat and waited to see if any more showed up. I was kicking the idea around about shooting him and wondered if I was up for packing more meat for another 12 hours. I have heard the meat is OK this time of year so I thought what the hell. BOOM down he went while his buddy just stood and watched. Then he staggered to his feet so I took one more to finish him, this was all he needed. So I thought to myself here we go again. I was relieved to see in comparison to the moose of how small his body was.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_048_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27962&cat=500)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_051_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27963&cat=500)

I de-boned him and was heading out to the tent by about 7:00 with a three hour walk ahead of me. I loaded half the meat and the antlers for a heavy load. Then I loaded the other half in a pillow case and placed it near the creek side. I placed it by a big white rock so it would be easy to find when I returned for it in the morning.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_054_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27964&cat=500)

I was part way down when it got dark all I had was a small Petzl led head light. This little light was amazing it made trekking over rough ground in the dark easy and safe. I left the trail in the willows to follow the creek I figured there was less chance of getting turned around this way. What a mistake I ended up going down through chutes and water falls and had to climb down 30 to 40 foot rock walls. Cedar my hound could't make it this way, I heard her howl a couple times from the top of the rock. I figured I was close to the tent so I would drop the pack there and go back to help the dog. By the time I got to the bottom she had found away around and met up with me. It was 9:30 pm I ate supper, feed the dog and it was off to sleep.

DAY 6

I awoke at first light and headed back into the caribou drainage. The dog stayed sleeping and she did not move when I left. I hunted for a few hours on a side drainage then I went to get the meat. About this time Cedar showed up all happy to see me. I finally got there and found the white rock but no sack, as I looked I noticed it had been moved about six feet down hill. I don't think a bear did it, maybe a wolverine or wolf, because there was some small bite marks in the bag. We took the willow trail back and avoided the creek this saved some time. I took down spike camp and loaded the caribou and gear into the trailer and we were off to base camp by mid afternoon. I did see 9 nannies and kids this day as well.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_056_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27965&cat=500)

When I got back to camp I checked the moose and hung the caribou. Everything was OK but because of this heat I knew my days were numbered and unless something changed I would have to head home 4 days ahead of plans.

Sangstercraft
09-23-2012, 10:37 PM
BEST STORY EVER. Lovin' it. Great pics too. Thanks

coach
09-23-2012, 10:39 PM
Great story and pics. Keep 'er coming..

Oh - and nice caribou!

The Dude
09-23-2012, 10:44 PM
You're a sucker for punishment, ain't ya Moosey? :D

And I gotta say, this year is the Year of the Well Written Threads.

This is the fourth or fifth that could make it in a magazine.

moose2
09-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Day 7 and 8

I went to go look for goats I thought I would go in one drainage deeper than the nannies and kids. I was just about where I wanted to camp when I ran into 3 young guys I told them my plans. They then asked if I minded if they walked the hill right were I was going because they had already seen a billy there. So I looked up sure enough a goat was right close to were I was heading. They did see it first so I said I would go somewhere else for this evening and head back in behind them tomorrow. All I saw was a cow moose in the other drainage I checked. I was back to spike camp just before dark. Dinner for me and the hound.Then off to sleep.

I hunted 6 hours the next day I did see a medium billy maybe 8.5 or 9 inches, but a good shot was never given. While he was in range he was on a dead run going strait to the mountain. He did stop at about 400 yards I felt OK trying that shot. I took three shots and never touched him, then he moved higher and now definitely out of my range ability.
Oh well time to head back and pack up to get the meat home. I had a lazy afternoon took some pictures inspected the meat and started packing a few things away to make tomorrows job a bit quicker.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/all_hunting_2012_067_Large_.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=27967&title=all-hunting-2012-067-large-&cat=500)

This is just me relaxing in front of my new tent, just enjoying the weather and reflecting on a great week of hunting. This is the end of the story for now. However I still have a sheep and goat tag and may try to go back for a few days in Oct. Thanks for reading.
Mike

The Dude
09-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Nice Wall Tent !!! :D

Fixit
09-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I thought this was a goat and sheep hunting trip?!

Nice work!

proguide66
09-23-2012, 11:39 PM
HOLY!!..your an ANIMAL ! lolol....I get kinda pissed when I have to move moose meat over 10 ft to a pack horse !!! lolol...can relate though as I am a BIG fan of 200" plus of moose bone ! crazy fronts on that one !! great hunt ,way to go !

Krico
09-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Awesome hunt and write up. That moose was a real beast!

landphil
09-24-2012, 12:15 AM
That was an awesome story, and very well put together. I chuckled about the dog staying behind to sleep, you know you are working your butt off when...
That is one heck of a moose, I can see why you made the decision you did, even though day one. Congats, you earned every bit of it!

Spy
09-24-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks for a great story ! Both those animals are great ttrophy's well done on a successful hunt !What kind of pup you got she take the last pic of you in front of your tent?LOL

RustyRipper
09-24-2012, 03:44 AM
What a great trip! My dad always told me, without misadventure there is no adventure! Sounds like you had lots of adventure. Great story and awesome pics, that'll get me through the next couple weeks before my trip. Helluva moose!

NorthIslander
09-24-2012, 05:29 AM
Awesome story and great pics, a few more hunts like that could be put together in a book and become a #1 seller ha ha.Very cool hunt and to do it alone with the dog makes it that much more special.

Blainer
09-24-2012, 06:56 AM
Thanks for sharing
Enjoyed the tale
Great hunt,good on you!

whitespringer
09-24-2012, 07:02 AM
That was Awesome Mike! Thanks for a great story. So funny!:lol:

moose2
09-24-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks Spy
She is a redbone this is a picture from a sheep hunt a few years ago. She is starting to slow down now. So I didn't put a pack on her this year. All the walking this trip was getting to her and her feet were sore. So next year she is a camp hound.
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep_hunt_014.jpg (javascript:;)

Thanks for a great story ! Both those animals are great ttrophy's well done on a successful hunt !What kind of pup you got she take the last pic of you in front of your tent?LOL

coach
09-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Extremely well done story and pictures, Mike. Awesome animals. Kudos!!

.330 Dakota
09-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Although shooting and packing these animals out is a great accomplishment,, I believe it is that much more so because you did it solo,,,congrats on a great hunt, and great success,,,great trophies

Brian011
09-24-2012, 07:29 AM
Great story! Sounds like you had quite an adventure, nice moose and caribou too!

Brambles
09-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Great story, well put together. Thanks for taking the time !

tomahawk
09-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice!! Great story, unreal effort on your part to put it all together, awesome moose espcially those fronts and unique bou!! I looked forward to every paragragh as the story unfolded! Thanks for sharin!!

cas-has-cars
09-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Great story, A hunt everyone wishes they had done themselves. Unbelievable Moose good thing you had pictures, now that moose will be imprinted in our brains for ever.

Stone Sheep Steve
09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Awesome story and wicked moose, Mike!!

Sounds like you need to start hunting with a partner...not to help pack out the meat, but to talk you out of shooting heavy critters that far from camp!

J/k, of course! I like your style....drop the hammer and figure out a way to deal with it afterwards. Where there's a will, there's a way!!

Congrats!

SSS

Spy
09-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks Spy
She is a redbone this is a picture from a sheep hunt a few years ago. She is starting to slow down now. So I didn't put a pack on her this year. All the walking this trip was getting to her and her feet were sore. So next year she is a camp hound.
Mike
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/sheep_hunt_014.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:;)
Shes awesome thanks for the picture! I love the way she came and found you,sounds like you two have a alot of history & a great relationship !

Rackmastr
09-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Awesome moose!!!! Congrats!!!

375 ultramag
09-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Hey Mike...... great write up on your adventure. Great look'in moose and boo. Looking forward to read about your goat-sheep hunt. Again Congrats ...well done!!

BearStump
09-24-2012, 09:08 AM
A solo hunt in the mountains with your dog. sounds like there was about the same amount of ass kickin' hard work as there was "hunting". The true essence of what I believe hunting is, and always should be. Thanks for that story.

feets9
09-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Great story and a great hunt, congrats.

markt308
09-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Right on great thread. the fronts on your moose are outstanding! well done and congrats

pescado
09-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Great story and an even better adventure. Made my morning.

lovemywinchester
09-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Great job. Theres no feeling like the few seconds after you stick a knife in your hand in the middle of no where. When the fat pokes out but no blood yet and you just can't believe what you did! Way to persevere.

kootenayelkslayer
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Great hunt, great story. That is a hilarious way to get the skull cap off... I don't think I would have thought of that.

Call of the Wild
09-24-2012, 11:55 AM
wow great story and thanks for sharing. You have a lot of ambition and talk about a nice moose!!! I sure hope there are some big bulls left up north.

knightcc
09-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Like The Dude said, the "Big Name" magazines could take a few pointers off guys on this site. What a great and hilarious story. Beautiful dog as well.

4 point
09-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Man your storuy had all the elments in it only an experienced guy would ever see. The moose I loved. Good going. Oh and maybe take a hunting partner next time....just saying.

olharley guy
09-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Howdy, congratulations for a job well done by yourself - lots of guts and hard work. Later

dana
09-24-2012, 07:27 PM
Sweet trip! Well done on a couple hard-earned trophies!

ElectricDyck
09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Awesome read! Awesome bulls! Love the picture in front of the wall tent! Two thumbs up!

scoutlt1
09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow! Yet another well written story with great pics from an awesome hunt!

Hell of a job....thx for posting!

09-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Excellent hunt and story, thanx for sharing.

Sitkaspruce
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for bringing us along Mike!!!

Great trip, great memories and a freezer full of meat!!!

Cheers

SS

moose2
09-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks to everyone for their great comments they are all really appreciated. It was a great hunt and writing this story about it was really enjoyable.
Thanks again
Mike

trigger
09-25-2012, 09:31 AM
awesome storey. very entertaining. thanks for sharing and congrats on a couple fine specimens

rred
09-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Well done Mike,
If only you had a video of the antler removal!

09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
Great story, pictures and scenery. Thanks for sharing.

The Hermit
09-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Man my back is sore just reading about all that packin! Way to go! Thanks for taking the time to write it all up... and great moose!

Wackman
09-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Great thread, great adventure!! Thank you! This is the kind of hunting I am looking forward to myself.
Happy hunting.
Wackman

ElliotMoose
09-25-2012, 12:32 PM
Great hunt and one helluva read! Some beautiful country you are into up there. Now my work week is going to drag on that much longer.. thanks alot! :P

Cheers

gbear
09-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Great read. Sounds like a great hunt! Congrats

REMINGTON JIM
09-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Congrats on a GREAT moose and that was a awesome story too ! :smile: RJ

sakofinnlight
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Very well written post with great pictures. Congrats on 2 awesome trophies and good luck the rest of the year!

srupp
09-26-2012, 03:53 AM
lmao @ new way to remove moose rack..hilarious yet effective..GREAT story wonderful adventure..felt like I was along for the adventure..Thanks..

cheers
Steven

moose2
09-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Well done Mike,
If only you had a video of the antler removal!

I thought about using video mode for the skull cap removal, but I was afraid of breaking the skull and having all of you on this site see me cry. lol
Thanks again to everyone for all the great comments.
Mike

whitetailsheds
09-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Great story and photos...thanks for posting Mike!

Tenacious Billy
09-28-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks for posting. That was a nice write up and a beauty bull!

kennyj
10-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing.
kenny

Rattler
10-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Well done on all accounts. Thanks for sharing!

marcus44
10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Awesome story!! Thank you for sharing your adventures and congrats!! I think a few hunting mags should seek you out to share your story!

ram hunter
10-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Awesome story mike just read it nice trophies too how big was the moose

moose2
10-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Hey Ram
Thanks
I green scored it a few inches over 200 so I am just waiting for the drying period and I will get measured officially then.
Mike

rifleman
10-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Great story & a huge bull moose... sure is a lot of work packin out moose... good job

ianwuzhere
10-13-2012, 06:38 PM
very nice- looks like a great season- thanx for postin!! Congrats!

ydouask
10-14-2012, 08:59 PM
:-D Hey Mike , you have some real talent in the story telling department . Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm for the hunt. Hank.

Elkhound
10-15-2012, 02:58 PM
sweet story of a fantastic hunt Mike. Thank you sir..... Im leaving for alberta elk in a week....now I know how to remove a rack with my .338 lmao

on a side note.....duck hunting with a few guys from HBC and I saw one use a 12g shotgun to cut a board while making a duck blind.

moose2
12-08-2012, 05:26 PM
I just had the moose scored today the official score is 198 1/8 net Boone and Crockett points. So I will have it entered in the B&C all time book.
Mike

coach
12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Very cool, Mike! Huge congratulations!

moose2
12-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Thanks Coach I also entered it in the BC book as well.
Mike

kennyj
12-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Congratulations Mike! Thats a great scoring Canada moose.
kenny

yama49
12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Awesome job, congrats.. What did he gross?

moose2
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Awesome job, congrats.. What did he gross?

Thanks 200 7/8

Rackmastr
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Man oh man...thats a big moose any way a guy looks at it! Congrats on the score!!!